Sharp Hydro 1066 and another one with a Case frontend conversion

I love me a Hydro cause I grew up on a Hydro70 our neighbor owned and he bought it new in 1974 the year before we bought our IH dealership and moved to the country.  He never had one issue with that hydrostatic transmission on that tractor, he did everything that the owners manual told him to do with the service on it and it held up superbly so I'm not scared of them transmissions and we sold quit a few hydro tractors back in the day and don't remember them ever giving trouble either.  I just ran across that white cab 1973 Hydro 1066 and had to share that with the group and Ive always loved the color combo of the white cab tractors, they were factory white from 1971, 72 and 73 then IH painted them red starting in 1974 along with coloring the levers from grayish color to all black that started in 1974 model year also and they did away with the bottom glass on the white cabs also in those same yrs.  Never seen a frontend conversion like the one on that other 1066 but apparently that's a conversion off a Case tractor frontend and put on a 66 series which was a light weight frontend to begin with, they should've put them square front axles on all the 66s and 88s, but that's my opinion

img2ZX6OFPD.jpg

img7WCXWJPA.jpg

imgFV271WEW.jpg

imgE82XXK31.jpg

imgCGWKV1U0.jpg

• Like 16

There was someone who made adapted case front ends fit in JD and IH tractors . Possibly 1370 front ends? 

Our 1066 hydro had that white cab. Uncle George's has the earlier white cab. Love those hydros especially when they are turbocharged

1 hour ago, messer9696 said:

On the 1066, what's the thing sticking out of the dash in front of the throttle control? Turn signal? You can tell I've never operated a 66 series... 🤔

Clean looking machine though.

Yes, turn signal / hazards

• Like 1

I really like that first 1066 Hydro.

That 2350 loader has the ugliest-looking skid steer quick attach I have ever seen.  If stressed, that quick attach will likely turn into a pretzel.   It looks to be the weakest thing on that tractor.

Fill me in on why the Case front in conversion is desirable?

The case wide front is supposed to be stronger for loader work.  I had one on an 856, it was setup to use the original case steering cylinders, you just hooked the hoses to the steel lines by the bell housing where most IH tractors have compression fittings.  The drawback was it only turned about half as short as the original IH wide front and you had to turn the the steering wheel almost twice as many turns to turn the front wheels half as much.  I ended up taking a couple broken knee arms and building my own heavy duty wide front.

Love that Hydro!

Bought a plow from a gentleman from Boone Ia. once. He had a 560 that he had adapted a case wide front onto. I believe it had a 301 out of a combine also. Had 18.4-38 rubber on back and I think 11.00-16's on the front. One tuff looking 560! Wish I had taken a picture.