Buying kids their cars

VTFs caretaking topic got me thinking so this topic is Seth`s fault.

What, if any, is the logic behind buying kids their cars?

I just can`t fathom this practice.

Oh, my kid is in sports, my kid HAS to drive to school cause the bus ride is too long etc etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depends on the car, how much the family can afford, etc. It can also be a control thing. Home by midnight or we take the car. Or, we bought the car, so you have to shuttle your siblings around, too. I was not bought a car, but did have access to a $500.00 farm truck, when it felt like moving and stopping.

• Like 2

My parents let me use a car..............but I had to tear the whole interior out and weld sheet metal over the holes in the floor to get it to pass safety inspection, and I didn't drive it anymore than I had to because you drove it for an hour then worked on it for 3 days.  Finally ended up with a '71 C-20 Chevy that I still have.  I rode the bus every day, except two days a week I had college courses, and in the spring of my senior year those were later in the evening, I even hopped on the lunch vo-tech bus that went to a elementary school below the house that was a computer vo-tech center for the district for a ride home and walked from there so I didn't have to drive.  Stashing cash the entire time.

Main reason is kids dont or [in our state] cannot work.  So if they need transportation they have not been able to save much if any.  We live 10 miles from town so some sort of public transport is not a option.  Imho parents need to be more proactive in them getting jobs when they can/should.  The ridiculous sports worship at the cost of work ethics is staggering.  Stop...timmy prob will not play in the NBA, MLS, NFL, MLB, whatever group of thugs you choose......he dont need to be in 10 leagues playing out of town every weekend.  Or till 930 pm 4 days a week.  He prob wont even get a scholarship frankly.  There are 300k timmys an maybe 5% will go past hi skol.  Most just are sick of taking kids everywhere and want them to do it! 

We are tentatively planning on splitting cost to a X amt.  Make them own it.  Yet at least be able to buy a fairly modern safe/reliable car.  OR my alternative plan is a crown vic cop car for all 3.  Have to drive it 1 year then allow you to buy a car.  Possibly a older 2wd, short box truck with buckets.  No room for friends,  poor mpg for out of town shenanigans, cant go off road, not cool enough to have boys look at them.

• Like 1

I bought all mine, then again i had livestock for 4h that i sold offspring from Every year, so i had some money in high school. 

Kids both drove an one of my old work cars after i got done with it. 95 taurus that ac no longer worked and in damp weather sometimes didnt like to start if it sat a few days. Daughter then drove our 05 escape and handed taurus down to her brother. Later we did actually get him a car to even out for something we had helped daughter with. Dont recall what.

Both took pretty good care of their cars and have since paid cash for cars on their own. I would say many variables and each family and kid has different circumstances. Both my kids did well in school but didnt have jobs till after graduating

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MTO said:

VTFs caretaking topic got me thinking so this topic is Seth`s fault.

What, if any, is the logic behind buying kids their cars?

I just can`t fathom this practice.

Oh, my kid is in sports, my kid HAS to drive to school cause the bus ride is too long etc etc. 

Not that i care, but how does this stem from caretaking for second home owners?? That seems like a stretch . 

I “inherited “ my grandfather’s truck... id have rather had my grandfather. My grandparents bought my father and his sister a jeep for transport, they had to share. Not uncommon, i think the difference lies in if its taught the value of money and understood that it’s a privilege not an entitlement to have that ride. 

• Thanks 1

Mine was work or walk

when boss in high school found out I could weld proficiently, I got a raise. Proud as a peacock I showed my parents, who immediately said since I make as much as my dad I could start paying for groceries.

it doesn’t matter if your parents buy it or not it’s what they teach you in the process.

mine taught me (not by their design) to be humble and keep my mouth shut lol

• Like 6

My parents bought my first car with the agreement I had to pay them back half on a monthly payment.

So I got a job a few weeks before my 13th birthday washing dishes.

My Dad claimed it kinda backfired because all I did then was work.  I was building my tools and buying parts and didn't really care about anything else.

20160724_133603 (1).jpg

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Possibly a older 2wd, short box truck with buckets.  No room for friends,  poor mpg for out of town shenanigans, can go off road, not cool enough to have boys look at them.

I always said you couldn’t trust a girl who drove a pickup. I dated a couple.....oooof. The pickup truck adds to the crazy side of the crazy/hot matrix.....😂

• Haha 4

When my kids were to driving age i was going thru a divorce with their mom and funds were tight to say the least. I had purchased a car from my aunt and it was a 79  LTD and was slime green and she called it the slime. The car was 17 years old and she was happy as can be. My son got his great uncles 77 Chevy pickup with 2nd gear out on the automatic. Those 2 autos did good for them and liability only and they learned how to take care of them or WALK. This was in the late 90's

My dad got me a 64 F100 with no drivetrain when I was 12 years old.  I don't think he paid anything for it.  He said if I wanted to have a car to drive when I was 16, put an engine and transmission in it. He helped, but made me do the work.  I originally put a 302/c4 in. Drove it for a while and got tired of getting stuck constantly so I bought some matching rears, a 223, 4spd and tcase from the local scrapyard and made it 4wd. Eventually Dad and I built a 292 yblock for it.  

My oldest just started driving on the road this year.  We found a 2004 ford ranger for 250 bucks with a rotted frame.  We fixed the frame together and he drives the wheels off it. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I always said you couldn’t trust a girl who drove a pickup. I dated a couple.....oooof. The pickup truck adds to the crazy side of the crazy/hot matrix.....😂

One I dated had a pickup and a car................Still here, as is the car, thankfully she replaced the tonka toy with another truck though.

• Like 1

“You want some thing to drive fix that “. So I did got it going,stopping and steering. Still needed some sheet metal. Dad gets in ,fires it up and proceeds to light that little 302 up. Up the hill to the intersection, back down,backs into the parking spot, gets out and puts the keys in his pocket. Says,“You just drive the red truck for a while” as he walks off.

• Haha 2

Its important to note there is another side to this. Sometimes parents want their kids driving something safer, or more dependable than what they can afford, my folks gave my brother my moms Jeep Liberty when he went to college, got excellent grades, he went, graduated, bought his own truck, got a good job, now married and bought a house. Its not spoiled little snots exclusively driving nice rides bought by their folks, each situation is different. 
i for one wouldn’t send my kid off to some far away city in a pile of crap that's likely to leave them stranded in a vulnerable position. There are many ways to teach value. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When we were kids we drove hand me down cars til we wrecked them. Then it was walk or buy your own. We wrecked them then bought our own.

When my kids got to driving age the same rule applied. They wrecked them then bought their own.

We had jobs in high school. So did my kids. And they played sports. And they got excellent grades. Proud Dad here.👍

• Like 3

My parents flat told me they weren't and if I wanted one I'd have to buy it myself, so I started saving when I was 12. Did a lot of odd jobs... knocked down chimneys, tarred roofs, dry wall,  etc.. Bought my first car just shy of 17 but I did get a deal on it from a guy my mom worked with. My dad did offer to cosign for me on a truck that he liked, but held off.

Not easy, but it can be done.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Crazy “ladies” don’t drive Mercedes......

Learned work ethic young on this place. Grandpa was bowing out helping and my folks couldn't afford good help so me being the oldest got me put to work young. Soon as i got home from school. Change clothes and grab a snack going out the door and off to work i went ( brother had it a bit easier) got paid and saved until i had a nest egg by the time I was 16. Bought my 1st car. 96 Buick Park Avenue ( very nice car) and later got my hands on a very cheap 84 Chevy S-10 to use on the farm rather than my good vehicle. Insurance was on my folks until I was 18 then on my own. 

Have yet to own a brand new vehicle yet. Only have totaled 2 and have had 5. Park Ave hit a deer and last year my Trailblazer got the crap hailed out of it so the insurance totaled it. Don't think I have done to bad  

• Like 1

My old man bought me my first bike ( pay him back of course) and found me my first car ( 51 Chevy) I paid it out.

both when I was 16, reason was I was working full time already, school and I just didn’t get along so the money was coming in already. Decent too, 1964, 2.12 per hour, never looked back.

I bought my son his first car at 18 ( pay me back on payment) I made sure it was a good running vehicle.

Found a good car for my girl at 18 also helped her pay for it and same pay schedule as my son, it all worked out and never a regret.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Ah yes, the crazy/hot matrix, what a classic video. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My parents let me drive my first truck when I was 16 20 years ago, but the stipulation was I had to be driving it back and forth to a job, and the truck was a 16 YO $hitpile.    I worked and bought the next one. 

• Like 1