What pigs to buy

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Never was around any dairy breeds that wouldn't be high strung early in life?????   I had a cat jump under a holestein fresh cow one time after only being milked a few times in the stall, she hauled off and kicked and I went flying across the alley into the other row of cows for example, luckly the two in the stalls across the alley were older cows and not as exciteable and didn't kick me when I fell into them....................Not sure how those guys weren't used to dealing with that???  Had others that were mellow, but that didn't happen instantly and was a aquired trait with time.  And dairy breeds that were kept for steers were really nuts, that was all we raised years ago, fished acouple out of the river and had to round up some way up on the mountain..............when they got out they were gone.  Compared to the Herefords my grandfather had at the same time, they acted like breathing was as much work as they wanted to do, unless they were eating.  The Dexters I have now are like those Herefords.

Don't know how they did it. Just repeating what they said to me. Milk cows were long gone before i came along and when Dad and Grandpa were still milking they were feeding cattle at the same time. Feeding dairy steers and beef breeds at the same time. So he knew his way around spirited cattle.  ( there is a story of on of our cattle getting loose from the stockyards in Detroit when they were there and running towards the Ambassador Bridge before it got shot) 

30 minutes ago, mike newman said:

......and remember.......the pig likes to relax with a beer also.....

Mike

rp#2   pig.jpg

Then there's the bad boys😆

1432978130_spiritanimal.jpg.f2935d10022e6a317a35a9b7144d1ee3.jpg

• Haha 1

There's an old saying, "Where's granny? Well she went out to crap and the hogs got her!" York's for sides, Hamps for hams.

Short, wide, square red ones. Not at all what we raise today, but they were the best on the plate! Still are. If we get a red one in with ours he is automatically a keeper for the locker. 99% all white pigs now, so long they need hinge joints like 2+2's.

13 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

last one i raised was 2 yrs ago, it was gifted to me via leap from stock hauler from the top deck on i-29 doing over 80mph. 

My daughter and I watched it happen and barely missed running over him  - 

speedy grown 2.jpg

Speedy on floorboard 1.jpg

Speedy.jpg

Thats funny because in 1976 dad was coming home on a tractor and disc on the highway and seen what he thought was a baby pig run across the road about 10 pm at night . Stopped and shut it off and it came right up to the tractor . First hog of we had on our place . Fell out of a pickup with stock racks  from sale barn. Never minded hogs unless someone missed cutting a boar and waited till he was 250.

3 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Then there's the bad boys😆

1432978130_spiritanimal.jpg.f2935d10022e6a317a35a9b7144d1ee3.jpg

In around 1980 dad had filled one corn silo with a bit wet moisture corn, wet rainy miserable harvest. Well one of the sows would go and drink from the puddle by the drain every day.  It would run over there when we let them behind the dairy to clean up ground feed spilled, No longer able to do that when he went grade A. Well the piglets were drunk when they were born a few days late r and could not hardly stand and we had a sow that we had to sober up by penning her away from the silo.

• Haha 1

I worked on a hog farm while going to school. Everything said about them going under, over, or through fences is absolute truth! Another thing to watch out for in the pen are the friendly ones that'll step on your foot then push you over. Never get between them and food! I got stuck between a truck and a bunker wall with a huge sow going through or over me and it took everything I had with a pipe or some other weapon that had come to hand to convince her otherwise. Farmer we rented from had his own pigs but neglected them and just let some have run of the place. There must have been some over 500lb. They would lie in the road and wouldn't move until the bumper was touching them. Cut early! The ones that slipped through the cracks and got cut late were the problem pigs from then on. It was a b*tch just to catch and hold them for the cut. Of course I'd feel the same way😁

Anyway, do some research for nice marbled breed if you can. I find a lot of pork these days is just too lean and goes dry if you don't cook it exactly right. There's no forgiveness if slightly over done.

Doc and wife next door raised a couple and were afraid the kids would get attached so named them ham and bacon so the intent was clear from the start.

We used to have hogs until 98. I don’t miss them. They are like anything else you need to get rid of the bad ones right away or they will just be trouble. Cows especially we have a herd of around 90 head. They get one chance and they are on wheels 

Does anyone have experience with Hereford pigs? They seem to be popular with people that want to finish them on pasture.

23 hours ago, cobfly said:

There's an old saying, "Where's granny? Well she went out to crap and the hogs got her!" York's for sides, Hamps for hams.

thats why we crossed them, makes for good meat im sure someone has done better now days with genetics but i havent been following it

7 hours ago, IH766 said:

Does anyone have experience with Hereford pigs? They seem to be popular with people that want to finish them on pasture.

no but sounds like a good cross -  Duroc, Poland China, and perhaps some Chester White or Hampshire