It’s a long story but we have several out of state homeowners on my folks street who have had what I will kindly describe as an eccentric caretaker, one I used to consider a very good friend, now not so much. It’s none of my business,but I’d have fired him about 10 years ago when his cheese started sliding off the side of his cracker.  In taking to a few of them I had made the offhanded comment about them talking to me if they ever found themselves looking for someone new.... I don’t like stepping on toes, or cutting throats, it’s just not my style, but I was approached by some of them, what would I charge? I’m thinking it would be mowing the lawn, none have a full acre of lawn..maybe one but not much more, plowing the driveway and checking the house routinely especially in winter. Any additional task is I would charge hourly, I had in mind a flat monthly rate, paid monthly. I dunno what they have been being charged and I don’t care. I’m thinking 200 a month if they buy their own lawnmowers, or get together on it, or 300 if I supply my own. I drive by these houses at least 2 times a day everyday, routine checks and snowplowing would not be too big an inconvenience. The lawn mowing would take some time but I think I could squeeze it in.

does anyone do this? Am I in the right ballpark? Any suggestions?   

Cash or are you going to get a 1099?   Different deals.

Insurance and bonding?  Just to CYA?

i would take what you make at work, and decide how many hours.  As for the lawn mower, use your own, otherwise it will be a problem, ran when parked ect

• Like 2

No, I’m not playing IRS games, all above board, Im already insured anyway, I’d just have to check coverages, I have 2 mowers, but I’d need tires and a fuel pump. I don’t want to get into the business as it were, but I’m already in the neighborhood so to speak. 

Good grief.  I was trying to eat while typing that

What I was trying to say is take what you earn an hour at work, estimate what each house will take a month in time, combine the two 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

No, I’m not playing IRS games, all above board, Im already insured anyway, I’d just have to check coverages, I have 2 mowers, but I’d need tires and a fuel pump. I don’t want to get into the business as it were, but I’m already in the neighborhood so to speak. 

I get it, I do the same things with boilers and plumbing.  But now I am looking at getting into the business 

I really believe the mower thing could be a snag, but you know the people

id go for the monthly flat rate and then have a set fee for add ons. Mowing X, snow removal X, they will likely want you checking heat/water/leaks/odors from said leaks - you need a menu with pricing. 

set fee for the monthly snow birds. 

Monthly fee plus mowing and snow separate if you get huge snow you get hosed if you dont charge per occurrence.

• Like 1

Regarding snow plowing, local guy has a set price for a set number of plow visits. After that he bills each snow fall

Ya know, I used to plow driveways, was always a pain “oh don’t come this time, why didn’t you come this time! Did you really have to come twice that time? I’d much rather set a price I am comfortable with and do it when it’s needed, these are simple driveways, I’m in the neighborhood anyhow, Then I don’t have to fight about it with folks. All those I’m considering this for are real decent ppl that would not be a big issue, but still. 

4 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

"Caretaker"  ??

My memory is not that good???

Wasn't  "Caretaker" in Cool Hand Luke???

May be that Fireman is shooting for a new handle here on RedPower??😉

DD

DD......with what Seth is getting into...and to catch a  'name ' from Cool Hand Luke.....I believe    "Dragline "   would be more appropriate.......:D

Mike

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, mike newman said:

DD......with what Seth is getting into...and to catch a  'name ' from Cool Hand Luke.....I believe    "Dragline "   would be more appropriate.......:D

Mike

I still like backhoe king, but that’s a different topic! 

My Niece and her husband are in Yarmouth Me. He works for a landscaper and also attends to some homes in the same way you are describing. I believe he charges $250.00 per month and that is for 4 properties. All above board as a part time business. I don't think he does any snow plowing on his own as that is done by his employer or some other independent outfit.

Pitiful that our elderly have to HIRE their caretaking.

If all these worthless kids came out of the basement and went door to door with their mowers and rakes they`d have $ for themselves.

But, today`s parents supply their phones/cars/insurance/room and board/beer and dope money.

But MY kids are SPECIAL!

And here we are today with that logic....sigh.

37 minutes ago, MTO said:

If all these worthless kids came out of the basement and went door to door with their mowers and rakes they`d have $ for themselves.

But, today`s parents supply their phones/cars/insurance/room and board/beer and dope money.

But MY kids are SPECIAL!

I feel paying for caretaking is sort of part and parcel with second home ownership. 

1 hour ago, MTO said:

But MY kids are SPECIAL!

Um even if the neighbor kids went door to door, wouldnt folks still be paying for caretaking? And if they are absenty owners they might not be their to ask....i do get your point but think this is a slighlty different situation...

On 9/14/2020 at 11:42 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

Um even if the neighbor kids went door to door, wouldnt folks still be paying for caretaking? And if they are absenty owners they might not be their to ask....i do get your point but think this is a slighlty different situation...

Correct BUT the kids are making money, getting exercise, learning valuable lessons instead of the contractor simply blowing in for his "quoted" duty and movin on. 

Great lessons come from the elderly especially when relationships are formed with the neighbor kids. 

$90 per hour ag equipment involved, $40 per hour light equipment involved, as in, mower, weed eater, $30 manual labor. Monthly minimum, say $250, any work exceeds that, hourly will kick in. Keep beer in fridge.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, MTO said:

But MY kids are SPECIAL!

I wouldn't want kids to take care of a place I owned and valued while I was away

If they can afford more than one home they can afford to pay, and in return get what is needed done well by somebody equipped and responsible

Do you suggest to your customers they have a neighborhood kid work on their vehicles? 

22 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

I wouldn't want kids to take care of a place I owned and valued while I was away

If they can afford more than one home they can afford to pay, and in return get what is needed done well by somebody equipped and responsible

Do you suggest to your customers they have a neighborhood kid work on their vehicles? 

You get what you pay for.

1 hour ago, MTO said:

Correct BUT the kids are making money, getting exercise, learning valuable lessons instead of the contractor simply blowing in for his "quoted" duty and movin on. 

Great lessons come from the elderly especially when relationships are formed with the neighbor kids. 

Yes i agree with all your points, tho i was under the impression these were absentee homeowners and i didnt see where vt mentioned elderly folks anywhere? Maybe i misunderstood the circumstances?

56 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Yes i agree with all your points, tho i was under the impression these were absentee homeowners and i didnt see where vt mentioned elderly folks anywhere? Maybe i misunderstood the circumstances?

You did not, though a pair of them are elderly, they are second home owners and require someone to care for their second home. The other 2 are middle aged successful professionals who are also requiring someone to caretaker their second  home

2 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

I have a 17 yr old that can do a better brake job than you, guaranteed.

I taught him.

How are kids gonna learn? 

Oh yeah, send them to tech school.

Just now, MTO said:

I have a 17 yr old that can do a better brake job than you, guaranteed.

I taught him.

How are kids gonna learn? 

Oh yeah, send them to tech school.

Apologize NMJD.

@MTO 

You are correct in some ways, surely kids need work, kids need responsibility and kids need exercise. You however are underestimating the demands if the vacation homeowner. They want everything just so and they want their caretaker  To have the resources to deal with whatever comes up, you need connections to people who can fix problems that come up and be able to follow through with seeing its sdone and the house is ready when they arrive.  Its more than pushing the lawnmower around and Shoveling mrs smith’s walkway, and few are willing to turn the keys over to a teenager. Also you need to find a teenager willing and able. 
not saying their aren’t great kids willing and able, I'm saying there aren't a lot of them and the demands of most Of the folks around here in vacation land would be hard to live up to as a teenager.