i got to work on this today

i helped the neighbor put on new door hinges and mount drivers door ( way too heavy for one guy to do ) installed a new gas tank, new fuel sender, he had done all new brake lines and all new brakes already, new master cylinder, the i started on teh fuel pump with him, the NOS one lasted overnight and possibly the ethanol ate into the sealant around the diaphragm and it was coming apart today. We tried the old original and it wouldnt work, then tried taking some parts out of a dual plunger unit but it wouldnt adapter either the diaphragm throw was too long on it. SO, we converted over to negative ground, put in a resistor for teh ignition, ran wire to fuel tank and put on an electric fuel pump and spliced it all in and drove it from teh shop to the house - have to order water pump and heatr core so it will hold antifreeze. . It really runs nice and smooth,  outside of smoking like a mosquito fogger. Maybe after running it some the rings will loosen up. 

Very low miles as you can see from the odometer. 

ford 1.jpg

ford 2.jpg

ford 3.jpg

ford 4.jpg

ford 5.jpg

ford 6.jpg

ford 7.jpg

ford 8.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1949 / 71 yrs old cant believe how good the floor pans are - amazingly good shape only going to have to replace a couple pieces and the bottom of the spare tire holder in the truck, some bending on the door panels due to the crappy door latches that are on those doors. I guess they were notorious for that. 

3 on the tree, non o/d but he has an o/d he could swap into it, hasnt decided if he is going to do that or not. 

• Like 1

Dad had a '51 lite blue, first car  I remember as his oldest kid.

No question as to whether to grab standard or metric wrenches on that girl!

My first car was a 54 Ford Custom.

232 straight six/3 on the tree  and vacuum wipers!

Painted it Plum Crazy, air shocks, Cragars and squeezed G-60s under her.

BIG soft back seat too!

And my parents didn`t buy it for me either. 

The six will beat the v8 out of the hole and pull almost a car length , but the v8 will over take . 
you going to make a thunder road car ? 

3 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

The six will beat the v8 out of the hole and pull almost a car length , but the v8 will over take . 
you going to make a thunder road car ? 

he is going to  keep it original let whoever buys it do what they want with it - i cant believe how tight the suspension/steering is on it, course with only 27K miles it should be. He has several old cars like this, 41 lincoln w/v12, 49 mercury, 50 IH 3/4 ton pickup with a 221? same engine as 460 farmall i believe. I like the 50 IH pickup it needs a new home but im broke with having to get truck and fix batwing. Got gear box today for batwing. 

9 hours ago, Scott! said:

Are you sure it isn't a 50?  It appears to have internal door hinges.

its not a 50, its a 49 ( his ih pickup is a 50 ) he said the old ford is a 49 and yes the door hinges are inside we replaced them on the drivers side already 

14 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

its not a 50, its a 49 ( his ih pickup is a 50 ) he said the old ford is a 49 and yes the door hinges are inside we replaced them on the drivers side already 

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ Marker lights and FORD not the crest 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

10 minutes ago, Scott! said:

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ Marker lights and FORD not the crest 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

sorry, i dont know enough about them to help just going by what the guy that owns it told me and he has a title - i do know the front bumper was replaced and is NOT correct - it was damaged and replaced and it has the V8 in the center instead of a 6 like it should

We got a 48 Ford 2 door in the fall of 56, Very low mileage on the FH 6 with a Ford re manufactured engine . Cost $75. plus tax at the local Ford Dealer.  I learned to drive on the 48 and became the chief mechanic.

Only engine problem I recall was an exhaust valve  would stick when it sat a long time. Fix is to pull the sparkplug from the bad cylinder and use a 1/4 FH punch and a small hammer and tap the valve head.  Rear axle keys would also shear off when I would get it stuck in the field if I was too abrupt on the clutch.

Looking back it was probably the best Ford I ever worked with.