Another sad tragedy

This happened about 20 miles East of me a couple of days ago .  Please becareful !! 

https://www.keloland.com/news/local-news/21-year-old-man-killed-in-grain-bin-accident-in-hamlin-county/

• Sad 2

Possible it was crusted over resulting in a void from a partial unload. Tragic no matter what, grain can flow almost as if it were liquid. When I worked for a millwright company we had training on how to deal with grain bin accidents every 3 months or so.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, MarkG said:

Sad tragedy. Can someone give more details how this could happen. I think you can stand up in corn. Are there grains you will sink in?

ALL GRAINS CAN SUFFOCATE YOU!!!

I have been buried waist deep (intentionally in a training simulator) in corn.  It is NOT a fun feeling.

Grain can crust up and bridge leaving a hidden void that can collapse and bury you.  Grain stuck to the side of the bin can tumble down and bury you.  Especially after emptying grain out of a bin there is a danger of entrapment if you enter a grain bin.

There are more instances where this could be a problem as well.

• Thanks 2

If there was any flow downward he would have been pulled down.

Walking/climbing on dry grain is similar to quicksand the more you move and struggle the deeper you will go.

grain and grain bins are nothing to mess with everything must be off and always use the buddy system even when just running the bin sweep and cleaning the corners out

• Like 1

Prayers for the family

my neighbor luckily escaped death, it was stuck to one side he went in the Poke it down and buried him, he’s 79 years old, I still can’t believe the cell phone actually worked inside the bin his one arm was partially free so he kept pushing the grain away from his face Very lucky.           nobody knew he was there he didn’t tell anybody that he going to load corn 

22 hours ago, FARMALL FIXER said:

This happened about 20 miles East of me a couple of days ago .  Please becareful !! 

https://www.keloland.com/news/local-news/21-year-old-man-killed-in-grain-bin-accident-in-hamlin-county/

Sad coincidence that's how your governor lost her father. Same county as you correct?

https://www.agprofessional.com/article/governors-personal-tragedy-highlights-everyday-safety-need

18 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Sad coincidence that's how your governor lost her father. Same county as you correct?

https://www.agprofessional.com/article/governors-personal-tragedy-highlights-everyday-safety-need

Yes you are correct . I was there and on duty with the ambulance crew the day of her Father's accident . I knew her Family and they were customers of mine . She was probably in her late teens or early 20's at the time if I remember right . I remember that day well .

Considering all the wet grain that was harvested in South Dakota last fall/winter, I'm surprised we haven't had any more cases of grain bin entrapment this year. We had one about an hour SW of us this spring, an older gentleman who was able to survive being trapped in a bin for awhile.

The big grain cooperative around here(Agtegra....formerly South Dakota Wheat Growers) actually has a Technical Rescue Team that goes around to all the local fire departments and offers training seminars on how to deal with grain entrapment situations. They are pretty much available on a  24/7 basis if their services are needed in an emergency. They actually have a couple "rescue trailers" that are equipped with equipment for grain entrapment emergencies that they have available as well. Prayers to all people involved in these situations.

We've got our own situation going on right now. The crash involving our SD Attorney General happened right in front of our dealership. I've seen enough law enforcement people in the last 3 days to last a lifetime. Again...prayers to all of those involved in this situation as well.