I’d take the 6.5 over the 7mm-08, it’s going to be another oil thread here, I’ve agonized over it vs a 270, think I’d still go for the 270, it’s a darn good caliber, time will tell hole long it’s popularity will last, it’s all the rage these days. If it’s here to stay it would be the near perfect caliber. If it’s going to be gone in 5 years maybe not so much. I personally wouldn’t hesitate. 

• Like 1

A lot depends on ranges. Heck the very short ranged 30.30 has killed a lot of deer. Some folks hunt with handguns in 357Mag and 44Mag. 6.5 should do fine as well as the 7MM-08. 

Rick

• Like 1

The shooters around here that chase these things are leaving the 6.5 Creedmoor for the 6mm Creedmoor.

We are raffling one off for the VFD and ticket sales are through the roof.

IMG_20200911_130155.thumb.jpg.489f8a195723dff27642095253c9e992.jpg

Find a rifle you like that fits you well at a price you can live with.

Have serious practice sessions with it.

Get out and enjoy the hunt!

Don't get caught up in the latest whizzer. Or pick the flyshit out of the pepper comparing ballistics

They will all kill deer.

• Like 4

I can’t hunt deer with a centerfire rifle here in Illinois but I have shot coyotes with my 6.5. I like the round personally. The 7mm-08 will kill deer just as dead. My 6.5 was purchased to shoot steel at longer ranges and not be a hunting rifle so to speak. 

6.5   all the way........it not a rhinoceros   Farmall 666 is hunting....just a whitetail ....a thin skinned animal, that certainly does not need  a bloody cannon   to take it down........

......my observations    of American hunters out here suggests  being   "over gunned ''   is a trait  most all possess......take this as a comment  :)...it is not a criticism......merely a comment......and when you have to lug a bunch of  30 calibre   variant,  rounds.... up a mountain....when a handful of   22.250   would suffice.....it makes  for ...shall we say......""spirited   discussions'''.......

Picture of  whitetail   ........30.30   Marlin......and   the luckless animal was  eating 'kelp '  on the beach.......and the ''sandflies ''  in that area are the cause of the' hunched up look ' !!!...and ...obviously...the picture  was taken ...ahh...quite awhile back......

Mike

post-157-1195581196  stewart i.jpg

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, mike newman said:

6.5   all the way........it not a rhinoceros   Farmall 666 is hunting....just a whitetail ....a thin skinned animal, that certainly does not need  a bloody cannon   to take it down........

......my observations    of American hunters out here suggests  being   "over gunned ''   is a trait  most all possess......take this as a comment  :)...it is not a criticism......merely a comment......and when you have to lug a bunch of  30 calibre   variant,  rounds.... up a mountain....when a handful of   22.250   would suffice.....it makes  for ...shall we say......""spirited   discussions'''.......

Picture of  whitetail   ........30.30   Marlin......and   the luckless animal was  eating 'kelp '  on the beach.......and the ''sandflies ''  in that area are the cause of the' hunched up look ' !!!...and ...obviously...the picture  was taken ...ahh...quite awhile back......

Mike

Nice Marlin 30 30. I just a Marlin 30 30 about a month ago from my late Grandfather's gun collection. Mom forgot she had them in the attic until she was cleaning. Dad didn't need anymore guns like that so i got dibs on going through the collection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not to derail but I do hear what Mike is saying about choice of caliber but my 22-250 is the heaviest rifle I own and would not want to lug around all day hunting, illegal to hunt big game here with .22 caliber anyway, I live in some heavy brush and my last deer was taken with the old 30-30, great caliber for my conditions and can carry all day long, I have a LOT of hunting interest for my property from people I do know but occasionally the odd bloke that puts 2 and 2 together that this might be a good spot drives up in his $85K Cummins Ram and asks for permission and brags about his 300 Win Mag but says he needs the meat I have to decline....it would be the most expensive meat you will ever dine on and you will probably only harvest half

The 6.5 is a great gun but I don’t have one, 243 works for me for open country

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Not to derail but I do hear what Mike is saying about choice of caliber but my 22-250 is the heaviest rifle I own and would not want to lug around all day hunting, illegal to hunt big game here with .22 caliber anyway, I live in some heavy brush and my last deer was taken with the old 30-30, great caliber for my conditions and can carry all day long, I have a LOT of hunting interest for my property from people I do know but occasionally the odd bloke that puts 2 and 2 together that this might be a good spot drives up in his $85K Cummins Ram and asks for permission and brags about his 300 Win Mag but says he needs the meat I have to decline....it would be the most expensive meat you will ever dine on and you will probably only harvest half

The 6.5 is a great gun but I don’t have one, 243 works for me for open country

A well place shot with a .300 does little meat damage. Just behind the front  quarters is a nice thru and thru shot that doesn't damage much if any usable meat.

Edit: only had one rifle so that was the best option.

Edited by mader656
Clarity
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, mader656 said:

A well place shot with a .300 does little meat damage. 

Edit: only had one rifle so that was the best option.

....that,  mader,  is the key to it.........well placed shot......and also it is the problem for so many, so called .."over gunned      hunters"...........That well placed shot  is quite elusive  for many blokes......especially ....again......if they are using some super thunderstick   that its recoil and muzzle blast  is almost intimidating  for the occasional  user of said firearm.......

Mike

• Like 1

I OWN 3 RIFLES. OWNED MANY BEFORE BUT SOLD THEM. THE 3 I OWN ARE ALL BROWNING MEDALTIONS. 300 WIN MAG   7MM08   6.5 CREEDMORE  DONT CARE FOR THE RECOIL OF THE 300 ANYMORE.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, sandhiller said:

The shooters around here that chase these things are leaving the 6.5 Creedmoor for the 6mm Creedmoor.

We are raffling one off for the VFD and ticket sales are through the roof.

IMG_20200911_130155.thumb.jpg.489f8a195723dff27642095253c9e992.jpg

Find a rifle you like that fits you well at a price you can live with.

Have serious practice sessions with it.

Get out and enjoy the hunt!

Don't get caught up in the latest whizzer. Or pick the flyshit out of the pepper comparing ballistics

They will all kill deer.

I have the 6 mm just to be different everyone was buying the 6.5 either one will drop a white tail . 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ky966boy said:

I have the 6 mm just to be different everyone was buying the 6.5 either one will drop a white tail . 

Most the guys talking about them at our smoker the other night are shooting steel. 

But you are right, they will take deer handily. The load development they are doing, trickles down to us hunters!

The did say they thought the 6mm was even softer shooting than the 6.5

My grandson just bought a 6.5 in a Savage Axis 11 , looks very interesting and hits a target hard . BUT ,our family has a Savage bias. We have a 99 .300 that dad got from his uncle in Manitoba, when I was born dad had a .22 High Power untill .22 calibre were banned for big game I have a Savage Axis in .223 . Back to original post that 6.5 is going to stop any Whitetail that is properly hit without a doubt .plus shells are abundant.

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

....that,  mader,  is the key to it.........well placed shot......and also it is the problem for so many, so called .."over gunned      hunters"...........That well placed shot  is quite elusive  for many blokes......especially ....again......if they are using some super thunderstick   that its recoil and muzzle blast  is almost intimidating  for the occasional  user of said firearm.......

Mike

Recall a guide saying varmit hunters were the best shot placements hunters, attributed to lots of rounds a few hundred yards away at small rodent practice

Back to the shot placement recall an outdoor life book of condensed stories read reverently as a teen where a hunter went up to Alaska and found a pile of Kodak skulls taller than a man from Inuit that took them all with a 22 rim fire, one place in the skull where the bone was thin, right of passage for boy to man was to hide behind a mound and flip dirt to mimick a marmot, once the bear was on the opposite side they stood up and had one chance

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Recall a guide saying varmit hunters were the best shot placements hunters, attributed to lots of rounds a few hundred yards away at small rodent practice

Back to the shot placement recall an outdoor life book of condensed stories read reverently as a teen where a hunter went up to Alaska and found a pile of Kodak skulls taller than a man from Inuit that took them all with a 22 rim fire, one place in the skull where the bone was thin, right of passage for boy to man was to hide behind a mound and flip dirt to mimick a marmot, once the bear was on the opposite side they stood up and had one chance

Wow, final exam graded on the pass/fail scale. Don't know many of today's youth willing to sign up for that class. 😳

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, ky966boy said:

My grandfather’s best friend used to hunt with a 6mm, he was kind of a little guy, he wouldn’t admit it but i think the recoil was The big draw for him. 

The ballistic coefficiency of the 6.5 bullet is the best ever seen.

The 6.5 Creedmoore is a low recoil version of the 264 Winchester Magnum.

Those that have one, really love them and ammo can be found cheap or high quality for long range.

If I did not have a 264 Win Mag, I would have a Creedmoor.

Your choice.

If we still hunted deer during the 'Late anterless season' we used to have here in Ia. I would get some good 60 grain .22 bullets and use my .220 Swift. X bullets probably. Shot enough little doggies with the 25/06 to know you don't need that much gun for them. Smallest legal caliber here is .243, I'd take my chances.

14 hours ago, ky966boy said:

I had a 6mm but ended up trading around and the gun left. It was the gun more than the caliber that turned me off on that one. Still got some brass components sitting around.  It wouldn’t be very hard to talk me into getting rid of them if you do any reloading?