Jump to content

1468 converted to 466 worth anything?


INTERNATIONAL 1466

Recommended Posts

Never come across one before, but I know there are several around. So we have a customer that brought his 1466 in for repair. It however started its life as a 1468 and now sports a 466 motor. It has the 1468 serial tag and a few other obvious 68 signs. One side panel says 1466 and one says 1468. I guess the engine and frame rails are long gone. Does it have any more value than a 1466 or not? It was a local tractor new, we know the family that owned it originally. What do you all think? Same value as a 1466 or not? That is the question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

 It has the 1468 serial tag and a few other obvious 68 signs. 

You should post the serial# so it can be recorded. Member FarmallTom on here is keeping track of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Never come across one before, but I know there are several around. So we have a customer that brought his 1466 in for repair. It however started its life as a 1468 and now sports a 466 motor. It has the 1468 serial tag and a few other obvious 68 signs. One side panel says 1466 and one says 1468. I guess the engine and frame rails are long gone. Does it have any more value than a 1466 or not? It was a local tractor new, we know the family that owned it originally. What do you all think? Same value as a 1466 or not? That is the question.

If the tractor has a 1468 serial tag it is a 1468.  This tractor has a discount value due to the many issues with the replacement parts.  When an individual purchases an automobile with a rebuilt title, generally the vehicle is discounted due to the rebuild.  If I am attempting to purchase a collector 1968 Chevrolet Camaro SS I will pay less for a vehicle which does not have the original or at least matching engine code.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good shape and running well, it should be worth what a good running used tractor is worth. In my opinion it is not worth more starting as a 68 but shouldn’t be worth a lot less than a 66. That is what I would think if I was looking to buy. 
 

edit: I’m not a purist though, to me a worn out back hoe still digs faster than a shovel and a Juan Deere Tractor is better than a mule (As long as it will start ?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Good shape and running well, it should be worth what a good running used tractor is worth. In my opinion it is not worth more starting as a 68 but shouldn’t be worth a lot less than a 66. That is what I would think if I was looking to buy. 

I agree. 

You pureist have to stop and think. The owner wanted a useable tractor, end of story. He didn't care how it got there. Just useable. If the 550 windowed the block and good useable blocks and other misc engine parts are either unobtainable or at best scarce. This is the easiest way to get a useable tractor again. Otherwise it probably would end up in a boneyard or a scrap yard on a ride to the smelter.

Seen another case of this about 6 or 8 years ago but in that case it was a 1568 and they still had the frame rails for the 550. Engine itself was long gone but they had the tractor dolled up like a 1566. If it wasn't for the extra frame rails and them advertising it as a redone 1568, you would have thought it was a run of the mill black stripe 1566. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

many moons ago, I thought it would be nice to add a 1468 to the herd. There was one for sale relatively close by. Inquiries on this board as to the desirability of one were generally unanimous- junk the V8 and put a 466 in, and you will have a tractor! So someone took that advice, though there may be other reasons for that particular one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ny bill o said:

many moons ago, I thought it would be nice to add a 1468 to the herd. There was one for sale relatively close by. Inquiries on this board as to the desirability of one were generally unanimous- junk the V8 and put a 466 in, and you will have a tractor! So someone took that advice, though there may be other reasons for that particular one.

We were up at a sale years ago in the western part of your state, was a cabbed 1468 there that was nice, they had to fight tooth and nail to sell it, and even then it didn't bring much.  My old man said the only thing it was good for was chrome polish sales.   I will never forget that.  It sure would have been an improvement over what we had at that time, but with what is sitting here now I certainly am not buying one because there isn't much there of value to me other than to look at it.........with the chrome polished, so I guess my old man was right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

We were up at a sale years ago in the western part of your state, was a cabbed 1468 there that was nice, they had to fight tooth and nail to sell it, and even then it didn't bring much.  My old man said the only thing it was good for was chrome polish sales.   I will never forget that.  It sure would have been an improvement over what we had at that time, but with what is sitting here now I certainly am not buying one because there isn't much there of value to me other than to look at it.........with the chrome polished, so I guess my old man was right.

funny story about the 1468 I was interested in. The auctioneer asked "who has $7000?" as his opening salvo. I was already ready to go to $8000, so I was almost ready to "start the rollback", so to speak. Apparently someone else also had his own truck running.. The auction crew stood there with their mouths open, as the bidding went past $9k. I quit at $9100, and the other bidder got the tractor for $9200.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it would all depend on how it's been done to me. If it were done nice and clean and you could actually take it to the field I think it's cool. I'd pay slightly over 1466 price for the 466 hands down. Who else has one? Nobody in your neighborhood I'll bet. If it needs work to get it where you want it discount from there. I'll be the odd duck.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2020 at 8:56 AM, from H to 80 said:

30 years ago the salvage yards in Sikeston had a huge pile of frame rails engines and fan shrouds out of the 68 series binders.If i had only bought them all for scrap!

Used to be a guy here that converted them.  Had one at an equipment auction and represented it as such. Also sold the rails and 550. I think they bought $50.00. A guy that had a 1468 got them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually have a NOS DV550 that I was hoping to find an original 1468 or 1568 with a bad engine and stick this power plant into it...  Does look like I'll ever come across one that I can afford or is close enough that I can justify the freight.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Missouri Mule said:

Dumb question. What's with the frame rails? Hard to find I'm sure...? 

What do you mean? Why do they change them out when you put a straight 6 in it? Or why are they sought after? Or something else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Reichow7120 said:

What do you mean? Why do they change them out when you put a straight 6 in it? Or why are they sought after? Or something else?

Everyone always talks about 68 frame rails. I guess they're just hard to find? Why does one need them? I mean did they break them? What's the deal? I could see if you were going back to the v8 you need them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...