Another one followed me home, 856

Found this on an internet auction 1.5 hours from home.  It's a little rough, but seems to run very well and shift well.  When I first heard it had a little whistle I thought maybe somebody had a turbo, but no such luck.  It has a makeshift third hydraulic valve, but it works and I only gave $3000.

KIMG0191.JPG

KIMG0188.JPG

KIMG0193.JPG

Bringing home a cheap 56 with  3rd remote must be the "cool" thing these days. I removed 3rd remote off mine. Messes up the hyd seat lines. If someone would come up with a nice clean 3 remote lever bolt on set up they would make some $. Wish mine would have had all the hyd seat shields vs the 3rd remote but it is what it is when you find them. 3rd remote is trading stock now i guess. 

856 looks straight. What year model is it? Must be '67-early '69 since it has 3 piece platform and key style steering arms. Bonus it has 10.00-16 8 bolts and 38" wedgelocks. Was a well optioned 856 with hyd seat and tilt wheel too. You looked at engine block to see which casting version it is? 

20200905_090529.jpg

I love those 856's! Had one around as a kid. Moved stacks and bladed snow with it. Sat outside the shop for 15 years with no tin can on the exhaust stack. I pulled the dipstick this spring and it was 3" over full and heavily mixed with water. Engine was seized tighter than a drum. Had to hall it off for scrap. I was discouraged from rebuilding it due to the dry sleeve set up. Will always miss that old thing.

20200201_082703.jpg

56 minutes ago, messer9696 said:

I love those 856's! Had one around as a kid. Moved stacks and bladed snow with it. Sat outside the shop for 15 years with no tin can on the exhaust stack. I pulled the dipstick this spring and it was 3" over full and heavily mixed with water. Engine was seized tighter than a drum. Had to hall it off for scrap. I was discouraged from rebuilding it due to the dry sleeve set up. Will always miss that old thing.

20200201_082703.jpg

Please tell me you did not haul it in for scrap!!! You could have rebuilt the engine, or found a running engine to swap in it!!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Long Farms said:

Bringing home a cheap 56 with  3rd remote must be the "cool" thing these days. I removed 3rd remote off mine. Messes up the hyd seat lines. If someone would come up with a nice clean 3 remote lever bolt on set up they would make some $. Wish mine would have had all the hyd seat shields vs the 3rd remote but it is what it is when you find them. 3rd remote is trading stock now i guess. 

856 looks straight. What year model is it? Must be '67-early '69 since it has 3 piece platform and key style steering arms. Bonus it has 10.00-16 8 bolts and 38" wedgelocks. Was a well optioned 856 with hyd seat and tilt wheel too. You looked at engine block to see which casting version it is? 

20200905_090529.jpg

Haven't taken time to look at the serial or other stuff, been too busy trying to get it ready to use, the 806 I've been using on the loader needs some tlc bad 

24 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

Please tell me you did not haul it in for scrap!!! You could have rebuilt the engine, or found a running engine to swap in it!!

The old girl is now in Bridgeport, NE giving parts, pieces, and life to other old machines. The dry sleeved D-407 was more than I wanted to tackle. Who knows, she may save the life of 20 other 856's by donating the good parts. I feel good about it.

6 hours ago, 801486 said:

Found this on an internet auction 1.5 hours from home.  It's a little rough, but seems to run very well and shift well.  When I first heard it had a little whistle I thought maybe somebody had a turbo, but no such luck.  It has a makeshift third hydraulic valve, but it works and I only gave $3000.

KIMG0191.JPG

KIMG0188.JPG

KIMG0193.JPG

I was watching this tractor on the sale.  It sure looks like it is a decent tractor?!  Congratulations!

2 hours ago, messer9696 said:

The old girl is now in Bridgeport, NE giving parts, pieces, and life to other old machines. The dry sleeved D-407 was more than I wanted to tackle. Who knows, she may save the life of 20 other 856's by donating the good parts. I feel good about it.

It looks like it was in decent shape?! I guess if it keeps others alive, that’s a good thing too!

• Like 1

$3000 for a running driving 856 is a steal.  I would think I could sell a non runner to the salvage yard for that price.

5 hours ago, messer9696 said:

That’s a perspective I hadn’t considered. I really thought you scrapped it scrapped it, like per/ton iron.

• Like 1
On 9/13/2020 at 8:25 PM, stronger800 said:

That’s a perspective I hadn’t considered. I really thought you scrapped it scrapped it, like per/ton iron.

That's what I interpreted too. lol. I hear scrap and think cut up with a torch and melted down... and salvage yard where it can be dismantled for usable parts