Ok its just like a muffler.

Ok here's my take on this, its just like a muffler it disrupts the air flow so that way it doesn't travel as far. Even if there's just a slim chance of it working why would you not wear one. I don't want to wear one but I will if the establishment that I am going into ask me to or if I know I will be around my 80 yr old parents. I don't wear a mask for me I wear a mask for everyone else. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
3 hours ago, dannyredfan said:

Ok here's my take on this, its just like a muffler it disrupts the air flow so that way it doesn't travel as far. Even if there's just a slim chance of it working why would you not wear one. I don't want to wear one but I will if the establishment that I am going into ask me to or if I know I will be around my 80 yr old parents. I don't wear a mask for me I wear a mask for everyone else. 

That is exactly what my feelings have been since mandatory masks by some establishments came about, I figure if peeps working for said establishments ask, who am I to yell and scream throw a tantrum because my rights are being stepped on.

Up here we have stupid politicians making rules on the fly because they don't know what else to do, well I can vote them out next election, but some girl/woman, boy/man making 13.80 an hour doing what they are told to do by bosses who are listening to said stupid politicians do not need me or my family making their lives miserable.

No rant just my opinion.

• Like 1

I don't think it's anything like a muffler, cause I can still hear the ones I don't want to from a long ways away.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Pete1468 said:

I don't think it's anything like a muffler, cause I can still hear the ones I don't want to from a long ways away.

I understand cumaparts and jimmies are still Loud with a muffler but it helps.     Guy next to me put two mufflers on his timberjack   

Because they fog up my glassed and i cant see clearly then. Also deflect air flow more than disrupt. Your still making a cloud of germs around your head, if any air flows from me to anyone via environmental conditions, ventilation systems, wind, other airflow, the point is moot imo. I suppose you could argue that mask catches SOME moisture from your breath, but not anywhere near all. So those thinking your gonna die without one, your exposed to a level even with one that you will still likely develop covid, thats my take anyway.

Also there are studies documenting harmful effects from mask worn all the time when not needed, not changed often enough ect.

• Like 4

The point for me is it MAY help a slight bit or it may do nothing, so dont lose your mind if someone makes a choice not to wear it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree you shouldn’t where it if your by yourself in your car or setting on your porch.  But it definitely slows the air flow. That’s why it figs your glasses 

and I don’t see a reason to get all upset. 

Exactly, wear it, dont wear it, both side should not lose their mind.

Again deflects not slows. My glasses fog because the mask is Leaking straight up and out the sides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Exactly, wear it, dont wear it, both side should not lose their mind.

Again deflects not slows. My glasses fog because the mask is Leaking straight up and out the sides.

You need one with the little metal "nose piece". Bend it to fit the bridge of your nose and the problem will be solved.

I think it's a good idea to stand up for your rights. If you don't, you end up like the Nazi's occupation, on a worse outcome of course. They all went along with the spoon fed propaganda, and then they were taken full advantage of and it was too far into the cycle to stop. If you don't stand up in the beginning, then who's going to do it for you? Private owned businesses have the right to reject your business if they want as far as I am concerned. If you don't want to wear one, then I don't think there is any type of gov that should tell you that you have to. Period. Now, I don't think it's necessary to throw a complete fit either, but it's your choice to do what you want. Just like a seat belt, I don't think the state should be able to fine you for not wearing one, it's your choice if you want to go flying around during an accident or not, so make your choice. If you believe a mask is going to save you, then wear one, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about from here on out. 

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Raildudes dad said:

You need one with the little metal "nose piece". Bend it to fit the bridge of your nose and the problem will be solved.

BS!!

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

BS!!

Glasses fog because they're cold. You usually only need to wear a mask indoors so I find that as soon as my glasses warm to room temperature the fogging stops. I also found the one with a wire, although not perfect, do lessen the fogging.

I figure it this way: If the mask is only 50% effective, and you and I both are wearing one, it's 75% protection.

For 35 years I worked in the oil industry.  We used respirators (masks) often.  Because of this I have taken every class that for respirator use that exists.  Every year I had to wear a respirator and be hooked up to a machine that measured how effective certain masks were on me personally.  Any paper or cloth respirators were actually forbidden in the facility I worked at because they had been proven to not be much better than no respirator at all.  Now this was all to protect me from particle sizes much larger than a virus particle.  Everything we are being told about the effectiveness of paper or cloth masks runs counter to all the education I received for all those years.   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Muffler still vents everything out eventually. It just muffles the sound. Hmmmm there's a anology here.

• Haha 1

It's not like a muffler. A muffler reduces sounds by mixing up sound waves. Sort of like active sound cancelling generates opposite phase sine/cosine waves that cancel each other, a muffler accomplishes that task less precisely by just bouncing the sound around and off walls (baffles).

All of the particulate that enters the muffler, exits the muffler. Also the flow rate in, is the same as the flow rate out. So the muffler is a poor analogy in support of a mask

18 minutes ago, Skagit Farmer said:

For 35 years I worked in the oil industry.  We used respirators (masks) often.  Because of this I have taken every class that for respirator use that exists.  Every year I had to wear a respirator and be hooked up to a machine that measured how effective certain masks were on me personally.  Any paper or cloth respirators were actually forbidden in the facility I worked at because they had been proven to not be much better than no respirator at all.  Now this was all to protect me from particle sizes much larger than a virus particle.  Everything we are being told about the effectiveness of paper or cloth masks runs counter to all the education I received for all those years.   

Thank you for a bit of first-hand info on this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, KWRB said:

It's not like a muffler. A muffler reduces sounds by mixing up sound waves. Sort of like active sound cancelling generates opposite phase sine/cosine waves that cancel each other, a muffler accomplishes that task less precisely by just bouncing the sound around and off walls (baffles).

All of the particulate that enters the muffler, exits the muffler. Also the flow rate in, is the same as the flow rate out. So the muffler is a poor analogy in support of a mask

And, if a muffler is too efficient, it restricts exhaust flow.  Which is not good for the device it's muffling.

Same goes for furnace filters.

44 minutes ago, KWRB said:

So why don’t pullers and racers use the.  It doesn’t restrict the flow some ?   There’s a analogy 

Since this began I have been challenged to understand two issues.

1. Everyone is virus saturated, a constantly sneezing, coughing, spitting, virus ejaculating THING.

2. (mufflers) are effective at preventing or greatly slowing down the spread of said virus. If you are wearing your (muffler) properly, and I am not wearing a muffler. But Im also not       coughing,  sneezing, or spitting. Why am I a threat to the (muffler) wearer. 

Just asking because even if I wear a (muffler) I cannot see my 86 year old mother in person or give her a hug. This has been going on for nearly 7 months.

In the military many years ago during training for chemical warfare, it was never introduced that I would die if my buddy did not wear his (muffler) and I did.

Why was my dying not the case. Because my (muffler) was effective.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

So we need a DPF.......

I prefer deleted and straight pipes. 

• Like 2

so had not been to church since the mask mandate in wis. went last night still requires masks, so priest doesn't wear one, reader doesn't, when people go to communion they take them off,  I just don't know?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, New Englander said:

Glasses fog because they're cold. You usually only need to wear a mask indoors so I find that as soon as my glasses warm to room temperature the fogging stops. I also found the one with a wire, although not perfect, do lessen the fogging.

I figure it this way: If the mask is only 50% effective, and you and I both are wearing one, it's 75% protection.

I have had to wear a mask recently for Pioneer seed corn and these paper masks fog my glasses instantly. I can wear a real one that I use for grain dust and no problems. 
These warm fuzzy things are a joke plain and simple. 

• Like 2