Leaving trailer hitch ball mount in or out, part 2

15 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Smart Alec!

Has your truck lives in New York State its whole life?

Most of it and before that it was a fish hauler in mass.... frame is solid but the cab it one bump from leaving. 

On 9/13/2020 at 10:48 AM, Alan Dinan said:

Illinois has a law on the books to have them removed when not in use. Because it causes more damage in rear end collisions.

Maybe they should not be following so close. 

On 9/13/2020 at 12:48 PM, Alan Dinan said:

Illinois has a law on the books to have them removed when not in use. Because it causes more damage in rear end collisions.

They've had that law for a few years now. I live 1.5miles from IN/IL state line. Closest mid size town is 6 miles away innIL so do quite a business there & wife was  from IL and has lots of family there. I estimate at least 40% of IL  pickupsbI see in parking lots have rear hitches, have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it. I 7sually keep mine in cab of my pu, not worried about a ticket butbI have had 2-3 stolen out of the receiver. Tried a locking pin onceb& had to cut it off with a torch after a mo th or so.

I live in a rural area and probably 50-60% of trucks running around here have hitches in. The only time that I've heard of anyone getting ticketed for the hitch being in, is after a rear end collision.