Leaving trailer hitch ball mount in or out, part 2

A while back someone posted a thread about whether to leave the ball mount in or take it out. I couldn't find that thread but wanted to post this picture of what can happen if you leave one in. This was the one that was in the hitch on the 2002 Silverado I bought last year. I sure wouldn't have wanted to hook something heavy to it.

HPIM4304.JPG

HPIM4305.JPG

• Sad 1

IMO if you have anything in a hitch receiver, like a decorative plug or what not, it causes the receiver to swell up and you won't be able to get the hitch in any longer.  Ask me how I know.  Now I just leave it open on my current truck. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, redneckhippie said:

That's ugly.  Glad we dont have that problem here 

Truth dont miss salt on the roads at all 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, yellowrosefarm said:

A while back someone posted a thread about whether to leave the ball mount in or take it out. I couldn't find that thread but wanted to post this picture of what can happen if you leave one in. This was the one that was in the hitch on the 2002 Silverado I bought last year. I sure wouldn't have wanted to hook something heavy to it.

HPIM4304.JPG

HPIM4305.JPG

I never would have thought a hitch could rust out to that extent....

I always take mine out, mostly because I don’t want to walk into it like I have done a few times .: perfect height to get you right on the shin .. 😬

• Like 4

Take mine out when not in use. Also on a side note I had the salt rust out a reese hitch mount. 

2 hours ago, mader656 said:

Truth dont miss salt on the roads at all 

Oh stop!!!

I am in no mood to hear about the factory paint and assembly stickers still on the frame of your Dodge!!

I had ought to mail you a box of rust just so that you do not forget what it is!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
49 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Oh stop!!!

I am in no mood to hear about the factory paint and assembly stickers still on the frame of your Dodge!!

I had ought to mail you a box of rust just so that you do not forget what it is!!!

They are fading...im 700 shy of 400,000 miles..

• Like 1
7 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Oh stop!!!

Assembly stickers are still on my dodge frame and it is close to the 400k mark also. Just the cab is not faring so well, someday the doors will leave me I’m pretty sure or just not close because of the cab is collapsing around the rest of the truck. 

49 minutes ago, new guy said:

Good heavens! What does the rest of the truck look like and why did you buy it??

No rust at all on the rest of the truck or frame, which IS why I bought it. That, and only having 150K miles. As nice as the truck is, I would have never suspected the ball mount to be in this bad of shape. But, that's the real problem with leaving them in. You don't know what condition they are in.

Got papped in the rear in Colorado Springs a couple years ago. My receiver ball did sure help my pickup escape a lot of damage. My son who lives up there heard it is illegal for you to drive with it in there because of the damage they can do when someone rear ends you. 

1 hour ago, Alan Dinan said:

Illinois has a law on the books to have them removed when not in use. Because it causes more damage in rear end collisions.

Wife had one in Tahoe got rear ended broke $200 dollars damage to plastic around bumper totaled car that hit her I leave mine in. Woman was on her phone.

2 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

Illinois has a law on the books to have them removed when not in use. Because it causes more damage in rear end collisions.

I don't understand what they are thinking.

With the hitch in it might prevent the rear-ender from going all the under your truck and getting a face full of the frame and springs.

Had a Honda Accord rear end me I was in a GMC 2500.

He swerved at the last second to the left went under the truck half way up the A pillar on the passenger side.

Good thing he didn’t have a passenger they would have been headless.

I have been rearended twice, with a hitch in.  0 damaged to my truck either time.  I leave em in.  Plus, its something to step on climbing into the bed.  I have to swap them often enough that rust isn't an issue.

4 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

Holy nanny state batman!

9 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

No rust at all on the rest of the truck or frame, which IS why I bought it. That, and only having 150K miles. As nice as the truck is, I would have never suspected the ball mount to be in this bad of shape. But, that's the real problem with leaving them in. You don't know what condition they are in.

Wow! I leave mine in all the time but my truck isnt driven daily on salty roads. I have more trouble with the dust caking up and they get stuck when i want to change them. Couple good hits and they usually jar loose.

13 hours ago, NY1468 said:

Assembly stickers are still on my dodge frame and it is close to the 400k mark also. Just the cab is not faring so well, someday the doors will leave me I’m pretty sure or just not close because of the cab is collapsing around the rest of the truck. 

Smart Alec!

Has your truck lives in New York State its whole life?

I leave ours in, but it is a solid design. not a hollow tube.  In this area there is no salt used.  Actually we rarely have ice on the roadways, longest freeze I have seen in the past 17 years was only about 3 days.