For close to 20 years saw this red tractor sitting abandoned in this field.  Had no idea what is was for a model other than it was a 66 series.  Fast forward to couple weeks ago was on a service call.  Different job & hadn’t  been done this road in 4 years.  Turns out service mgr is friends with county administration mgr.  Was told I can have the tractor for free.  With permission went & had a look at it.  She is rough shape,  no idea what I would with it.  Going to cost $400 Cdn to get hauled to the farm.    Close to 40 miles away,  it’s too big for my trailer.  Have decent sized hills & don’t want to chance towing it down them with another tractor.  Plus 1 rim is rusted thru.  What do guys think?  Take it or leave it there?  

3C878895-C831-4C0C-B19F-8BC878EB0CDD.jpeg

C5F739B2-A47E-43F4-A440-B2E3A0A7D382.jpeg

257685F6-8F23-4C23-94B9-D10826CB1010.jpeg

AB461D50-8E7F-4968-9D43-11535A7714AA.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would take it.  Comparing it to my current project, it could be worse.. Brett

I only have to live to be about 150-75 yo to get my projects done , but i'm game for another one1

I would be on that thing like a fat kid on a candy bar if you don't want it I will pay the $1200 it will cost me to get it here

Posted Images

I would be on that thing like a fat kid on a candy bar

if you don't want it I will pay the $1200 it will cost me to get it here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
9 minutes ago, hillman said:

if you don't want it I will pay the $1200 it will cost me to get it here

Take it!! You’ll regret it if you don’t!! 

if you don’t want it, I will pay a $1 and the $1200 to get it here!! 

15 minutes ago, redturbo said:

For close to 20 years saw this red tractor sitting abandoned in this field.  Had no idea what is was for a model other than it was a 66 series.  Fast forward to couple weeks ago was on a service call.  Different job & hadn’t  been done this road in 4 years.  Turns out service mgr is friends with county administration mgr.  Was told I can have the tractor for free.  With permission went & had a look at it.  She is rough shape,  no idea what I would with it.  Going to cost $400 Cdn to get hauled to the farm.    Close to 40 miles away,  it’s too big for my trailer.  Have decent sized hills & don’t want to chance towing it down them with another tractor.  Plus 1 rim is rusted thru.  What do guys think?  Take it or leave it there?  

3C878895-C831-4C0C-B19F-8BC878EB0CDD.jpeg

C5F739B2-A47E-43F4-A440-B2E3A0A7D382.jpeg

257685F6-8F23-4C23-94B9-D10826CB1010.jpeg

AB461D50-8E7F-4968-9D43-11535A7714AA.jpeg

Could you do me a very big favor, could I get the serial number from it??? 

• Haha 2

I'd be bringing it home too.

Dad acquired a SWD9 years ago because it had a broke head.  Was told it was his if he wanted it.  He found a used good head out of a salvage yard I think in Kansas and had it delivered to MI.  Got it repaired and running.  This was all before the age of the internet. 

• Like 1

Nice find. Drain the oil. If there is water in there it will be on bottom and will be the first thing to come out when you remove the plug. On the right side bell housing there is a small cover held on with two small bolts. Take it off for access to the flywheel. You can use a pry bar in this hole to see if the engine is stuck. Don’t use a large pry bar and all your weight though. Keep us posted when you get it home.

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

I’d think so. It’s been parked for 20 years.  No rain cap...but I’ll cross my fingers that the motor is free.   Even if it isn’t....super deal to find. 

I'm just going by the fact that the goodyear power torque tires are likely original and there's no water filter

i think he meant to say he is on it like a duck on a june bug, congrats to you on your great find!!!  and keep us posted on your progress 

I would take it.  Comparing it to my current project, it could be worse..

Brett

20200714_114957.jpg

20200714_115035.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
6 hours ago, bkorth said:

I'm just going by the fact that the goodyear power torque tires are likely original and there's no water filter

Looks like there is a water filter right above alternator.kinda hard to see and they were standard on later ones.My two have them, owned more and only had  one old 9 without one .

Leave is my vote.  If you have no use or intention to restore her then try finding a home where she can be done and used.  I see these things and think "hey".  Then overnight realize i have "heeeeyy" projects sitting out back.  I should pass them all on.  I aint getting to them an someone else may have time and skills to enjoy them.

My .02

• Like 2

it weighs over 6 tons it would make money just paying the trucker to send to scrap. BUT  keep it and if it turns out fubar I would part it out then send to scrap when prices rebound- it ain't gonna eat hay!   it might be a good thing if the turbo elbow broke

I would take it. Especially for free. If motor is free would be a good restoration project. Heck you could part out some good parts on it if nothing else. 

The stones wouldn't have landed yet from the spinning tires of the PowerStroke going to get the trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We would have had that sucker loaded and gone before someone changed their mind!!!!!!! We would have roaded another 14 40 miles to load it too!

• Like 3

Good project for someone who actually wants to make something out it in the end, besides another cheap showpiece in their weed patch. I know alot of guys on here have a fair amount of parts at home, and engine's sitting around too. Probably even some nice tires stored someplace on the farm. I can't see the engine being any good, especially if it's in a climate freezing happens if water froze in the cylinders before the exhaust let go 

Take it home, and if you aren't interested/don't have time to fix it up or part it out, fix the flat tire as cheaply as possible and put it on Auction Time as is. Pretty sure it'll bring more than $400

If I could find a free 66 series that close I wouldn't think twice. Gooseneck would be hooked up so fast! If it's not much good then there is still lots if good parts on it. It looks like better shape than some of the ones still working in the field around here!

• Like 2
On 9/13/2020 at 9:46 AM, TroyDairy said:

Leave is my vote.  If you have no use or intention to restore her then try finding a home where she can be done and used.  I see these things and think "hey".  Then overnight realize i have "heeeeyy" projects sitting out back.  I should pass them all on.  I aint getting to them an someone else may have time and skills to enjoy them.

My .02

You make a very good point and I'm starting to feel the same way. I myself am starting to take a good hard look at my "projects" and trying to evaluate weather or not it's worth doing or if it will take too much time, money or ambition. It takes all three to accomplish these projects and it seems like I'm always short on one or the other.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

You make a very good point and I'm starting to feel the same way. I myself am starting to take a good hard look at my "projects" and trying to evaluate weather or not it's worth doing or if it will take too much time, money or ambition. It takes all three to accomplish these projects and it seems like I'm always short on one or the other.

I only have to live to be about 150-75 yo to get my projects done , but i'm game for another one1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4