farmall m counter shaft nut( drive nut)

Im trying to remove the lower shaft how do you get that drive nut off  p/n 50838d. I  started making a socket , but not sure what to make the key out of?  Is this something that i can buy? dont want to trash it.

I welded a keystock into a pipe then welded a 1" nut to the pipe and the keystock  and use an impact to loosen the driver the pipe fits over the driver and keeps the key stock centered

• Like 1

Can you take a picture of the nut? I'm confused as the what needs this elaborate tool? It must be different than a C or H, or I'm misremembering something.

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

Can you take a picture of the nut? I'm confused as the what needs this elaborate tool? It must be different than a C or H, or I'm misremembering something.

Different from C same as H. Sorry nothing to take picture of.

One of the two nuts on the pump drive is left hand thread. Cannot remember if it is the nut on the pump or on the countershaft.  Anyone remember??
Try turning the other direction once.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, E160BHM said:

One of the two nuts on the pump drive is left hand thread. Cannot remember if it is the nut on the pump or on the countershaft.  Anyone remember??
Try turning the other direction once.

that's what I was thinking too 

Both nuts are right hand thread.   You guys are. making way too big a deal out of this.   Normally a few good wacks with a good sturdy brass drift and a hammer will loosen the nut.

If top shaft was still in transmission, locking in two gears and a bar in the slot and a heavy foot turns most loose akso.  

Problems come in when something locks pump and then threads get damaged.  

Well the cat is out of the bag now !!! After my 1” gun from work didn’t move it I decided to clean it up and take a long look it this !!!! Someone welded this nut on!!!! O yes 

8185BE8F-DE87-4209-9293-C2A331BB805C.jpeg

B03FE187-3966-4751-9661-A009F82718F5.jpeg

• Sad 2

The second tranny I got for part that nut came flying off with tha tool I made . Guess I’ll have to cut it off with a grinding wheel

On 9/15/2020 at 2:32 PM, KWRB said:

? It must be different than a C or H, or I'm misremembering something.

only mentioning this because you like to learn, The Farmall M and H are the exact same design and only differ in size. The Farmall C may as well have been designed by another company if you compare it to an M or H.

the C is an offshoot of an A/B design and other than the brakes and final drives the drivetrain is derived from that family

• Thanks 1