I bought this pump yesterday. Wouldnt start but would try if I poured gas in the spark plug hole. I went town and got a new diaphragm for the carb but still no start. So I checked compression which is low,50 psi. 75 after putting a little oil in. So today I plumbed some water in it and after several attempts of putting oil in the cylinder it started and I ran it a good half hour hoping things would free up but still doesn't want to start. Is it just time for a rebuild or is it time for a Honda? Forgot to mention I pulled the head. It looked like the gasket may have been leaking around exhaust valve. 

20200912_122431.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My opinion, (and worth no more than what you paid for it), to helping you make a rebuild or replace decision is: When you need this, you will want it to start on the first or second pull and run

I figured I would get alot of BS info and I wondered how long it would take. I figured you lorenzo or mto would be first. 😁

Check the valve clearance. Some of those engines have a compression release of sorts ground into the cam profile and if the valve clearance goes away they will not start. One way to check if this migh

Posted Images

My opinion, (and worth no more than what you paid for it), to helping you make a rebuild or replace decision is:

When you need this, you will want it to start on the first or second pull and run till you shut it off.

Nothing worse than fighting with a motor when you should be fighting fire.

• Like 3

Check the valve clearance. Some of those engines have a compression release of sorts ground into the cam profile and if the valve clearance goes away they will not start. One way to check if this might be the problem is to do a compression test but spin the engine backwards when you do it. If the compression is significantly higher your problem is probably lack of intake valve clearance. 

• Like 3

Is that a Briggs?  Do you have access to a parts dealer, this is just me, but I would break it down, rering and hone the cylinder and do a lap job on the valves and new gaskets, check pricing on that in comparison to a Honda. 

I have bought all my Honda small engines from Jacks Small Engines which I found to have the best prices and knowledge.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

My opinion, (and worth no more than what you paid for it), to helping you make a rebuild or replace decision is:

When you need this, you will want it to start on the first or second pull and run till you shut it off.

Nothing worse than fighting with a motor when you should be fighting fire.

Agreed! 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Check the valve clearance. Some of those engines have a compression release of sorts ground into the cam profile and if the valve clearance goes away they will not start. One way to check if this might be the problem is to do a compression test but spin the engine backwards when you do it. If the compression is significantly higher your problem is probably lack of intake valve clearance. 

Interesting.  I will have to try that.

28 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Is that a Briggs?  Do you have access to a parts dealer, this is just me, but I would break it down, rering and hone the cylinder and do a lap job on the valves and new gaskets, check pricing on that in comparison to a Honda. 

We do have one good parts place left. When they retire that will be the end of that. I'm sure putting a set of rings and a lap job would be very inexpensive.  Ideally I would like to have a few pumps ready to go. Paid 50 for this one. The guy was said the pump is rebuilt but he also said it ran a few years ago. Lol. The plug was pulled when I bought it and it had fresh gas in it. 

• Like 1

The fuel tube down in gas tank isn't restricted is it?......................Takes more to get the gas up to the engine with crap on the end of the tube.  Also if the spark is getting weak it will be a hard starter, might want to convert to electronic ignition module or refresh the points and condenser.   Those L heads usually start well,  about the only Briggs I still got around here.

If your in replacement mode, the Chonda's Hazard Fraught sell are a pretty good deal.  I put on a few for guys with log splitters, didn't think much either way on them, but when I bought a Wic bedding chopper and it had an older, non overhead valve Honda on it and those I never cared for, needed more work than it was worth, so I pulled it and put on a Chonda from HF..............Run it nearly ever day in the evening all late fall, winter, and early spring and have zero complaints with it even in the dusty barn environment.  Would definitely buy another.

• Like 2

Most of those steel tanks are full of rust due to ethanol.

That may influence your decision to fix or replace.

I heard Briggs & Stratton are bankrupt.

Getting parts any more is iffy at best.

A lot of this older parts are no longer available.

i

• Like 1

Had one of those in a wood splitter, horrid thing, gas tank kept loosening up spewed everywhere, needed gas in the plug hole every start, and blew directly on my leg. Used as much gas as it did oil. Idk what you are pumping, but my 1” generac pump starts first pull every time, doesn’t leak oil and cost 200 bucks and came within hose and fittings. Hard to screw around for that. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Had one of those in a wood splitter, horrid thing, gas tank kept loosening up spewed everywhere, needed gas in the plug hole every start, and blew directly on my leg. Used as much gas as it did oil. Idk what you are pumping, but my 1” generac pump starts first pull every time, doesn’t leak oil and cost 200 bucks and came within hose and fittings. Hard to screw around for that. 

Trying to put together a small fire rig on a very low budget.  I will check them out. 

3 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

You can fix it for the experience if you want to, but, face it, it's what, at least forty years old, and Chondas aren't a bad deal.

I might fix it for the fun. I dont think I need the experience.  I just gave away a good one. I have another that I think will run. 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

I guess I shouldve said I'm already over the budget for right now. Things are tight around here. 

I did look at some of the generacs though and looks like something I could use. Problem is with all the fires going up every store on town is probably sold out. HF only had 3 inch pumps left. Fires are slowing down now as the wind has died down. Hopefully in a few days the danger will be much lower. A few days ago things were different though. Power company shut down the lines so I didn't have water and fires were moving fast and popping up everywhere. Theres a volunteer station close but they were out putting put other fires. I hope to set up some tanks or a old firetruck eventually but for right now I have to make do with what i have. I will have to find some pics.

I totally missed the ampersand in your header, all I saw was bs experts, and that could be me, but I will stay with my post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

I totally missed the ampersand in your header, all I saw was bs experts, and that could be me, but I will stay with my post.

I figured I would get alot of BS info and I wondered how long it would take. I figured you lorenzo or mto would be first. 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

Well, this certainly is the right place for BS experts!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had one that acted the same way, found the intake valve seat was loose in the block so I took a centre punch and rounded the end and went around the outside of the seat and peened the block enough to hold the seat tight ! Problem solved .

• Like 2

I agree with TP on the Honda clones, probably almost as good as a Honda and usually under a $100 for the five horse one. Use a coupon and get another 20% off. That’s what I would do. Have one one my wood splitter for 5 or 6 years now and it sits out and gets abused. Starts every year on a couple pulls. 

• Like 1

I got that motor on a winco  generator. I took head off cleaning head . Lapped valves ,checked valve clearance. Took carb apart clean it put in knew kit with diaphragm. The pick up tube is usually plug up on the so clean or replace it .Runs good Wisco idi nothing to ,runs good 
If cylinder is scored that will set you back 150 + piston and rings 

as far as parts look up ,model number is on the fan shroud ,you will need it . Also these motors are up in age so parts are getting scarce , look on eBay 

• Like 1

I still have the one from the wood splitter, you want to pay freight I’ll ship it to yo