This 3.26 acre adjoins our property. Up until 2009 I had it fenced for horses and kept it nice. Property sold and I couldn’t meet the new owner’s demands so it grew up in saplings, trees, blackberry, honeysuckle, snakes, coyotes, and other creatures of the night. It has been a real eyesore but patience prevailed and I was able to purchase it this spring. The cleanup began and it’s been a process. Mow, push, pull, drag, burn, pick up limbs and chunks, and of course get stuck!  It’s been disced a couple of times and today I walked it picking up anything that was too big for disc to cut thru or that might stop up a plow. Really want to plow it but Im thinking if I plant a wheat cover and plow it next year the stumps and roots will have a chance to rot so they’re will be fewer chunks to pick up again. It’s been fun for the most part. 

69E55339-1E3E-44CD-B75A-1D1AA592BD34.jpeg

A0E17883-5380-4191-AED5-9D42D07D209C.jpeg

DCC459F9-3B12-4323-8758-BAFB6090E0BD.jpeg

CF20635A-6D7C-4BA3-A22F-6BFDDD10312D.jpeg

3C718A70-FD10-47B7-A634-309A9AFF3243.jpeg

C156336B-54FB-4182-86F7-93E20A09FB72.jpeg

71861862-BDCD-4E19-BDF0-69743DC0A30F.jpeg

B0C23643-76AC-41CB-A4B7-6BC060DEB015.jpeg

6C63FFFF-32CE-415F-9D0A-F35D44A9BD75.jpeg

2057E570-8500-425A-8B03-9C5A48E1A27D.jpeg

2E79774C-343F-4CE3-88F3-D7F908DCB018.jpeg

A3526CE1-ABE3-467A-A952-FC5C4FFA014D.jpeg

91E1C1A8-EFC6-4DD0-8F0B-82B8FE78CF84.jpeg

2A6FDFF6-6652-4DDC-8FB5-B9BB97879C9E.jpeg

• Like 11

Wow I can’t believe all that jUse grew up in 11 years. Around here even the trees that you plant and water die most of the time. If ground sits not taken care of weeds will build up, but that’s nothing a plow and disc won’t fix....

Edited by DaveinSD
Incomplete post

Looking nice.

It does take a lot of time and equipment to clean up what mother nature put there.

What kind of hoops do you have to jump through to burn anymore?

19 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Looking nice.

It does take a lot of time and equipment to clean up what mother nature put there.

What kind of hoops do you have to jump through to burn anymore?

No hoops unless burn-ban in place. We’ve had plenty of rain lately so no bans. The big pile will be burned in spring after the trees dry some. 

Amazing how quick things grow up.  Farm we rented years ago we used the buildings, kept it mowed, kept the fence rows trimmed back.  After we left, they subdivided the buildings off from the rest of the property.............Can't even see the buildings now.  Guy who farms the tillable ground now doesn't trim fence rows, they let the fence rows grow out and keep moving the equipment out from it, probably lost a few acres worth on 40 tillable in 20+ years time now.  

Looks like you have been busy. Got to feel good to be making good progress cleaning it up. 👍🏼👍🏼

• Like 1

Cows have been gone from the family farm for about 40 years. The pasture land that was too rocky to mow/plant has completely overgrown with some pretty big trees.

In New England outsiders often ask why we have rock walls in our forests. They can't seem to fathom those forests are all second growth from when the farms were abandoned for the better Midwest land.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Cows have been gone from the family farm for about 40 years. The pasture land that was too rocky to mow/plant has completely overgrown with some pretty big trees.

In New England outsiders often ask why we have rock walls in our forests. They can't seem to fathom those forests are all second growth from when the farms were abandoned for the better Midwest land.

There was only one tree on this property 11 years ago. That was the tree being pulled by the M in pics. Grass was on it from 1990 until I stopped mowing it. This was a farm that my grandfather rented and I combined beans and corn on. It was pretty fair land. Owner sold and land was subdivided into 5 acre plots in 90. My home was built in 92 and we moved here in Nov 04. It’s amazing what the vines have done. The soil is like the floor of a woods. Sticky, gray, heavy clay. I have pulled soil samples and no doubt will have to lime it because the only grasses growing were sage. I’ll get it back into shape.  Picking up the chunks and shredded saplings reminded me of harvesting tobacco. Lots of bending, sweating, and stumbling over stobs!

Farmall Nut-----

Take pride in your land-------they are not making any more.  As an old faded farmland appraiser and broker-----your thread makes me feel good.

Sorry to say------my farm headquarters is looking somewhat rag tag nowadays.

You might want to mark me on your calendar as your next clean up job!!!!😁

Land looks good--------and the Farmall M looks right at home.   They will still do alot of work.

DD

• Like 1
On 9/12/2020 at 11:13 PM, New Englander said:

I enjoyed flying in New England and seeing all the rock walls in the woods and imagining what that looked like when it was all farm. We have them here too.

A lot of NY's farms were abandoned all at once around 1920 or something. I attended a lecture by the State DEC Forester, and he explained how our forests are NOT exactly healthy just because abandoned crop and pasture land if no they appear dense and green. If not managed for diversity in and and species, the land will grow monoculture "forests" that all grow up and die at the same time. My woods here are about 30-40 years I think, from massive die off.