trouble getting OSB??

so a week ago i needed a bunk of 1/2" OSB (58 sheets)called the local Menards which is also happens to be located in the city that is the home of the "World" headquarters of Menards and was told there was not a single sheet of it either store located here. had to go 65 miles north to Rice Lake to get it....they had 865 sheets on hand there.

reason for none in Eau Claire was that one of the large builders/developers had bought them out of it and also had prepaid to get the next 2 semi loads coming in

Just now, Takn4aFool said:

so a week ago i needed a bunk of 1/2" OSB (58 sheets)called the local Menards which is also happens to be located in the city that is the home of the "World" headquarters of Menards and was told there was not a single sheet of it either store located here. had to go 65 miles north to Rice Lake to get it....they had 865 sheets on hand there.

reason for none in Eau Claire was that one of the large builders/developers had bought them out of it and also had prepaid to get the next 2 semi loads coming in

I was told that our local lumberyard couldn’t get treated lumber. Something like 50 loads are on back order. Just unreal how much the government can F things up in short order.

• Like 3

Round here the saw mills are still paying the same low price for timber. 

No shortage of timber or lumber, just price gouging just like farm products.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, acem said:

Round here the saw mills are still paying the same low price for timber. 

No shortage of timber or lumber, just price gouging just like farm products.

Thx-Ace 

And they claim it’s still a free market at work 🤬

Bullcrap

i have been told by Menards that they had to shut down the plant where they do the treated lumber because emplyees had the corona virus,also hear that Canada was limiting the amount of lumber crossing the border. The overstock that stores had last spring is quit small now.

I bought a crap ton in March-April this year to add onto my garage.  When I went back to get more last month they still had a bunch.  I don't see a shortage here. 

I was at home depot in Fort Smith Arkansas last week. No shortage of lumber but prices were up. I was after plumbing supplies but looked at the lumber juice because...

The mom and pop sawmills round here have plenty for sale. Pine, cedar hardwood. Some are running specials to clear out excess inventory.

What lumber do you want?

Thx-Ace 

Bought a few sheets for a project back in March.  Right around $10/sheet.  Needed a few sheets past week.  Wife was in town so she stopped to get some.  They had plenty but they were $28/sheet.  She called me.  I made do without.

State Police had US127 shut down by Lansing a couple weeks ago. It seems that a set of B trains loaded with plywood were involved in a wreck along with some cars. Knowing the area, I'd guess one of the people that can't seem to figure out how to merge a car onto a highway caused the accident, seems like every time I'm through there I have to make some sort of evasive maneuver to avoid some idiot. Anyway, the semi layer over and lost the entire load of osb all over the highway. There were lots highway workers and police and firemen out there picking up the sheets of osb and stacking it in piles which a skid steer was loading onto a different set of B trains. The highway was shut down for almost 10 hours while they cleaned it up, but stuff like that takes a while when the osb is scattered all over both lanes of the highway and the median for 300 feet. And I don't know how much a "full" load of plywood weighs, but judging from the appearance of how much they had loaded and had yet to load, I'm guessing that set of trains was loaded right up to 13'6" high and full width down the deck of those trailers, so not sure if that's what 160,000 pounds of truck, trailer and mostly osb looks like scattered down the highway, but it sure looked like a mess. Told the wife no wonder they were cleaning it up carefully, that was probably a $300,000 load of osb scattered about. So, there ya go, that's why you can't find osb,  that was probably the load headed your way.:ph34r:

11 hours ago, RBootsMI said:

State Police had US127 shut down by Lansing a couple weeks ago. It seems that a set of B trains loaded with plywood were involved in a wreck along with some cars. Knowing the area, I'd guess one of the people that can't seem to figure out how to merge a car onto a highway caused the accident, seems like every time I'm through there I have to make some sort of evasive maneuver to avoid some idiot. Anyway, the semi layer over and lost the entire load of osb all over the highway. There were lots highway workers and police and firemen out there picking up the sheets of osb and stacking it in piles which a skid steer was loading onto a different set of B trains. The highway was shut down for almost 10 hours while they cleaned it up, but stuff like that takes a while when the osb is scattered all over both lanes of the highway and the median for 300 feet. And I don't know how much a "full" load of plywood weighs, but judging from the appearance of how much they had loaded and had yet to load, I'm guessing that set of trains was loaded right up to 13'6" high and full width down the deck of those trailers, so not sure if that's what 160,000 pounds of truck, trailer and mostly osb looks like scattered down the highway, but it sure looked like a mess. Told the wife no wonder they were cleaning it up carefully, that was probably a $300,000 load of osb scattered about. So, there ya go, that's why you can't find osb,  that was probably the load headed your way.:ph34r:

Coming back from a trip to Southern Indiana in August we passed a truck on I-65 south of Indy with a load of treated lumber on it. I remarked to the wife that i wonder if the truck had a armed guard riding shotgun. Told her that load was unobtanium and worth it's weight in gold.

23 minutes ago, Raildudes dad said:

Railcar of 2x4's out of Canada went from $44,000 to $83,500

Seen quite a bit of railcar loads of lumber moving through the CN railyard next to the stockyards we haul cattle to.

We’re pretty much sold out at our little mill. We are out of logs at the moment otherwise we’d have more to sell. We’ll likely go back logging somewhere this winter but the price on our dues is going to skyrocket with this increase in lumber. Right now it costs us around 35$/cord for standing timber. That’s what we have to pay the government. With this increase I can see that easily going up to 75-100 even. They update the dues quarterly so I’ll find out end of the month how bad they’ll be. Mills are going fairly hard here I believe. We don’t have a lot to do with the larger mills but there’s lots of logging activity going on so they must be buying all they can get. We haven’t increased our prices yet but we will have to when we replace our sawlogs. Thin margins as it is now so you know what doubling the main input cost will do. 

• Like 1