1086 hydraulic pump gone?

Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on my 1086... was working great hammering out some big round bales and then I had no clutch, no steering, my hydro outlets seem to still work ok.

I think there are 2 different pumps on this tractor but not sure. Would it make sense that one of them has packed it in?

Thanks for your input

58 minutes ago, Donnie said:

Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on my 1086... was working great hammering out some big round bales and then I had no clutch, no steering, my hydro outlets seem to still work ok.

I think there are 2 different pumps on this tractor but not sure. Would it make sense that one of them has packed it in?

Thanks for your input

Sounds like your MCV pump either lunched or blew an O-ring since you still have hydraulics out the back 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Sounds like your MCV pump either lunched or blew an O-ring since you still have hydraulics out the back 

what kind of job is that to get into?

MCV is easy you can do it in less than a couple hours. Longest part I had was scraping off the old MCV gaskets that took me an hour alone... Other than that it depends if you want to rebuild all the springs and stuff to while you have it apart. Hy Capacity makes a good kit that you can use that has the pump and all the gaskets and springs.

29 minutes ago, Donnie said:

what kind of job is that to get into?

its not too bad mainly disconnect T/A linkage lube pressure sender wire and take out the outer perimenter bolts not the four center ones they hold the pump on to the Valve thats on the backside might have to drain oil out of the front section other than that its pretty simple 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

might have to drain oil out of the front section other than that its pretty simple

Well, if you don't drain the oil, it will certainly drain quickly if you remove the MCV! haha

14 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

If there was no indication anything was going wrong. Then suddenly lost all mcv function. I would suspect pump drive gear key.

I've seen that happen to but usually reverts back to pump replacement because of shaft keyway being damaged beyond reuse

19 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

but what would cause the key to shear in the first place? Seized pump?

Sometimes the locknut gets loose and lets the gear wiggle around and then the key shears but also wear the keyway in the shaft out too

Have replaced both gear and pump.when they were worn enough that gear wouldn't center on shaft. There were just as many that got new key, 632 loctite and nut hammered on with impact. Back to work they went.

• Like 1
On 9/11/2020 at 10:55 AM, Donnie said:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your input

Will the tractor move at all? Or does it just sit there when you put it in gear with the red hydraulic pressure light on?

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Will the tractor move at all? Or does it just sit there when you put it in gear with the red hydraulic pressure light on?

Depends on condition of sprag clutch. In good condition will move in ta but freewheel downhill

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 12:31 PM, Josh said:

The tractor still moves, it will stop and go though but keeps going. I drove it a half mile home that way and parked it. Haven't had time to look at it again yet. but no steering and clutch is rock hard similar to before you start it.

5 hours ago, Donnie said:

The tractor still moves, it will stop and go though but keeps going. I drove it a half mile home that way and parked it. Haven't had time to look at it again yet. but no steering and clutch is rock hard similar to before you start it.

And red hydraulic pressure light on the dash is on the whole time or blinks on and off? Start by changing the filter, if that doesn't  do anything there will be a spot on the mcv plate to screw in a pressure gauge, see what the mcv pump is putting out.