D282 compression test

Pull compression test from glow plug hole, measure threads of glow plug (I think they are 3/8 -24) drill a bolt and weld adapter to bolt for gauge. I like to do 1 cylinder at a time leaving the other cylinders in normal conditions . Make sure you use battery charger so battery doesn't get weaker as you go. 

• Like 1

my biggest issues with starting a 282 are GOOD FUNCTIONING glow plugs and good fuel flow. Holding button for at least a minute in avg temps 50 to 80 when engine cold, if its below 50 i go 1.5 mins or more  and keep holding button while cranking 

if you have all glow plugs working right and good fuel they are great starters even in the cold - both mine did fine even in below zero temps of SD

• Like 2

Glow plugs are working, and I have fuel to the top of the injectors.  This one has always been a hard starter.  Previous owner had it addicted to ether.  Figured I'd check compression, and then possibly send out injectors and/or pump and go from there.  Has always ran well when it's running.  Haven't been able to get it started lately, and it's been sitting about a year now, inside.

9 minutes ago, W Bench Farms said:

Glow plugs are working, and I have fuel to the top of the injectors.  This one has always been a hard starter.  Previous owner had it addicted to ether.  Figured I'd check compression, and then possibly send out injectors and/or pump and go from there.  Has always ran well when it's running.  Haven't been able to get it started lately, and it's been sitting about a year now, inside.

Id be alittle concerned about the condition of the fuel if its been that long a minute or two on my 656 usually starts it right up if its operating temps sometimes I don't need glow plugs at all 

Two big 12v batteries in parallel. Spin ’em fast and they start.

• Like 2

Looks like my homemade sleeve puller is going to work. Now if I could just get the pics on this new phone resized.

Whoops. Wrong thread. 

• Like 1

On nine spinning it fast definitely helps it start easier especially in the cold.

• Like 1
On 9/11/2020 at 1:36 PM, W Bench Farms said:

kind of a can of worms, one thing at a time to troubleshoot for sure, maybe down on compression and the heat helps with that, maybe glow plugs arent working as thought, maybe fuel isnt good, maybe timing off a lil, maybe pump sticky until warmed up, i dont trust ANY DIESEL fuel these days since ULSD that has any age and been sitting untreated. So many issues with sitting tractors, skid steers and now backhoe. Fuel will deteriorate, mold, get algae, slime up and boy it is awful on a fuel system. The slime is hard to even see unless you take apart or pull bottom plug out of tank and let drain. Algae, is little black specs like dirt but hard like lil specs of coal cinders. Check for any/all of that. Keep us posted. 

On 9/11/2020 at 2:36 PM, W Bench Farms said:

Glow plugs are wired in series. If ones bad then the next ones down the line won't light either. I gave up on plugs years ago. Good batteries and a big external coolant heater.

1 minute ago, snoshoe said:

Wrong

Really. Take a look at them. If that's not series I don't know what is. If you have one shorted it's end of the line.

1 minute ago, snoshoe said:

Unplug any one the rest still work

Yeah, that's how you troubleshoot the bad one. Temporarily. 

4 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

In order to be series each plug would need two terminals 

Wrong. One wire feed. 

Edited by exSW
25 minutes ago, exSW said:

Really. Take a look at them. If that's not series I don't know what is. If you have one shorted it's end of the line.

Your wrong, all of those engines here were in a long loom, wire off of it to each glow plug, any are out it doesn't effect the rest...............main feed is usually in the middle and went out from the middle two cylinders to each end as well.  

I just looked at mine. It has 1 wire from the button to between 3 and 4 cylinder where it splits, one each way. From there at each glow plug is a branch off the feed wire. I disconnected 3 and 4 and still have hot current to the other glow plugs. Fired it up with two disconnected and those cylinders smoked and sputtered but the rest cleared right up. 

(May not be factory because mine has shade tree wiring, not factory)

42 minutes ago, 1965Dennis said:

I just looked at mine. It has 1 wire from the button to between 3 and 4 cylinder where it splits, one each way. From there at each glow plug is a branch off the feed wire. I disconnected 3 and 4 and still have hot current to the other glow plugs. Fired it up with two disconnected and those cylinders smoked and sputtered but the rest cleared right up. 

(May not be factory because mine has shade tree wiring, not factory)

That is how all the ones here are............I can't get pictures, stuffed in the shed.  I have never seen any in a series, all the other glow plug engines I got use a drilled metal strip across the plugs, current fed to all of them, if one doesn't work, the next one thanks to the strip still gets juice.

d 282 glow plugs are wired in parallel   the bd 154 in the picture is wired in series  not much besides the red paint is the same on those two engines.

• Like 1

my 560 had a bad one and all the rest work, used it that way for years, fixed it before i sold it, the other 5 worked from 02 to 18 when i sold it, they arent cmas tree lights 😉

On 9/11/2020 at 11:19 AM, W Bench Farms said:

I have a D282 in an IH 150 track loader.  I would like to do a compression test on it, as I am having some starting issues.  Any help on an adapter or procedure?

282 starting problems is usually 1, bad glow plugs or nor getting power. 2, valves sunk up into head lowing compression just enough to make hard to start . 

282 heads have a hardened in place valve seat as most other diesel heads have a hardened steel incerted seat