Old Tanker is quite correct about synthetic oil long being used in turbine engines. The temperature is so high at the bearing (s) in the turbine section that oil is circulated at a very high rate through them. There's usually a minimum idle or low power operation time required before shutdown so the oil left in those bearings doesn't coke. Taxi-in usually accomplishes that on fixed wing planes but helicopters use so much power in hover taxi that they'll do a two minute or so idle after landing. Wheeled helicopters no so much.

Of course the Blackbird had even more challenges than the average turbine plane so they most likely had their own spec oils. Amazing plane!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Gearclash said:

SR-71 engine start.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjdyQpEUYzI

Gosh, I'm glad you linked that, I was gong to go dig it up this morning but ended up having to bug out and leave the computer.  It's not even that they switched to 454s because the Buick motors went out of production, but that they were sending people out to buy those engines from junkyards and ran out of wrecked Buicks that had salvageable engines.  

• Like 1

Video of engine which show by-pass tubes.  Another top secret engine design back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZfBFlTC_c

9 minutes ago, Howard_P said:

Online I see it burned apx 6,000 gal per hour.

At 2,000 + miles per hour, that's 3 gal per mile!

Heck that's about the same as my ole truck lol. 

• Haha 1

One thing that I have thought that was the most remarkable thing in the Blackbird program is that, to my knowledge, a Blackbird was never lost due to being shot down or suffering mechanical problems over unfriendly territory. I know the Russians in recent years claimed to have shot one down in the 1980s, but the US has never confirmed that. I sure think if any of our enemies had downed one, they would show it to the world just like the Russians did with Francis Gary Powers when they shot down his U-2 in the late 1950s. To have that kind of success speaks volumes to the plane designers, the pilots who flew them, and the crews that maintained them.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SDman said:

One thing that I have thought that was the most remarkable thing in the Blackbird program is that, to my knowledge, a Blackbird was never lost due to being shot down or suffering mechanical problems over unfriendly territory. I know the Russians in recent years claimed to have shot one down in the 1980s, but the US has never confirmed that. I sure think if any of our enemies had downed one, they would show it to the world just like the Russians did with Francis Gary Powers when they shot down his U-2 in the late 1950s. To have that kind of success speaks volumes to the plane designers, the pilots who flew them, and the crews that maintained them.

I agree if the Russians had any proof it would have been shown on the news world wide just like the dragon lady was.  I don't think the Russians had anything close to shooting one down, At 90k feet and a little extra speed they would out run any sam . Seems like the Russian foxbat was their only hope.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, 806 man said:

I agree if the Russians had any proof it would have been shown on the news world wide just like the dragon lady was.  I don't think the Russians had anything close to shooting one down, At 90k feet and a little extra speed they would out run any sam . Seems like the Russian foxbat was their only hope.

Yea problem there was the Foxbat couldn't sustain those speed for any length of time. Basically it could go really fast in short burst of speed to outrun an air to air short range missile but by the time they could vector it on onto an SR71 it would never catch up. Thing with ground based radar guided missiles was about the same. By the time they could get a lock it would be out of range. SAMS back then were not really long ranged weapons that could reach out 400-500 miles.

Rick

• Like 1
6 hours ago, dannyredfan said:

Wander what the fuel mileage is ?

If you have to ask

You can't afford one😪

😁

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, SDman said:

I seem to remember reading that with the older planes, they could see them and shoot them down. With the U-2, they could see them but couldn't do much about. Obviously they did get lucky a time or two. When it comes to the Blackbird though the quote I read was "They don't even know we`re there." This was all from a magazine article from years ago. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

I seem to remember reading that with the older planes, they could see them and shoot them down. With the U-2, they could see them but couldn't do much about. Obviously they did get lucky a time or two. When it comes to the Blackbird though the quote I read was "They don't even know we`re there." This was all from a magazine article from years ago. 

Even if they did know "it" was there, there wasn't much they could do about it. Possible shoot a hail Mary up at it. The SR 71 would be quite amazing to watch on radar. I can visualize the Russians watching this fast moving target on radar, I wonder how many times they scrambled the Fox bat to intercept without even getting a shot off. How many officers were demoted over their failure to engage the enemy.😁

• Like 1

Worked with a guy at Lockheed-Martin about 40 years ago so bear with my memory. He was stationed at SAC (Omaha/Bellevue) when he was in the Air Force. Said they got a call from a pilot needing clearance who said he was coming in hot and if he didn't get clearance he was going to have to try New Mexico. They told him they saw nothing. They wanted to know who he was and where was he. He said he was an SR-71 and he had just crossed the eastern shore of the USA. He said he could already see the Great Lakes. So obviously he was way up there and that he was boogying right along. I'm guessing he got clearance. I doubt those guys were denied anything if they requested it.

I was told they would land at SAC once in a while, but were put into a hanger and guarded as soon as they hit the ground. I was a guest of an Air Force captain back in '77. He showed me one in a hanger there. (that sucker looks fast just sitting still) He told me they could go SAC to Edwards in an hour +/-.  I think their top speed is still classified but not sure.

They would sometimes have one at the air show each summer at SAC. You could look, but couldn't get very close. They would sometimes have a U-2 also. (the U-2 looked like a glider strapped to one very big azz engine)

• Like 2

If you want details of the SR-71, search for Brian Shul on Youtube.  He's the guy that originated the Speed Check story, but he's got a lot more online and is very entertaining.  Another video is an interview with Richard Graham who flew them for 7 years and ended up commander of the SR-71 operation.  Not as entertaining, but a lot more operational details, particularly with respect to the Russian attempts to intercept it.

• Like 1

i think a 301 could get that kind of gas consumption, 3 gallons to the end of the field and on a good down hill with clutch in, 20mph - screamin!!

• Haha 1