Anyone ever fashioned road gear for 620 drill?

I'm in the market for a grain drill, but I'm also running out of money. There is a 620 near me for cheap (for obvious reasons) but it really needs to travel over the road. I could leave it in the fields but I might as well take to the scrap yard myself before the local drug addicts do. I'm not even sure if the frame is heavy enough to weld an axle setup to without trashing the rest of it in transport via bending.

22 minutes ago, russtred said:

Dad hauled 24 feet of 620 drills on a drive-over transport similar to this one.  It wasn't as convenient as a factory transport set up, but it worked ok.

22003730_1.jpg

Used to be a pile of those transports around here. Dads 620 and it has factory transport. Works pretty good

• Like 1

Sure did on a 150 and 7100 shovel drill. On them we ran 2  3 X 3 square tubing up from the back under the walk board and welded a tab onto the front cross bar that controlled the depth rocks haft  that went to the shanks. Then we fabricated a 3 point on the rear. On the 150 we welded pipe along the edge of the channel irons about 8 ft apart that goes from each wheel back and put a pipe across and fabricated a 3 point hook up that way. I do not know if i have a photo of any of them but can look. They worked really good and saved the packer wheels from road wear. One thing we never did was transport the drill loaded with seed as it is going backwards and it will whip unless you have a 1066 or larger tractor on it. PM me if you want a photo or drawing

2 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Donahue trailer or similar?  Basically a low, flat trailer that the axles would lower so that the drill could be loaded over the side and then raise the trailer for transport.

That's what I was thinking myself.

I’ve seen it done. The alfalfa mill near here has one they use to seed alfalfa with. Have only seen it from the road but I noticed they had fabricated transport wheels in the rear somehow. Will see if I can get a picture for you. 

I built a transport for a JD lzb 50 years ago utilizeing the frame that run to the rear.I had to extend out a bit ,then Used a front axle if I remember and mounted arms on that that hinged at the frame extensions. I mounted a hydraulic cylinder that when retracted it raised the drill and away you went. I have no idea if  the IHC has similar structure.

I ran a 620 for several years. I loaded it on a Donahue trailer to move it if I had far to go. Anything under a couple miles I just pulled it slow down the road.

Up here in the far north there were several types of drill transports. Dad had a pair. They consisted of two small 3 inch h beams about 8 feet long. These had a hook fashioned on front. You slid them forward between packer wheels and hooked lip on top of front drill frame. The back of I beam had a metal loop and pin hole on bottom. Once you slid beams into drill you passed a 1 1/2 pipe through spoked packer wheels or if you had solid wheel you chained pipe to rock kickers behind packers. You then rolled a wheel assembly that consisted of a tire and hub on the ends of two pipes that slid over each other to adjust wheels for width. The wheel pipes Hooked into metal loops on I beams going ahead. You took another pipe or crowbar in a small pipe welded Perpindicular to wheels rotated the wheel assembly with leverage lifting packer wheels off the ground and pinned the wheel on bottom of pipe and I beam . The drill was then suspended by front caster wheel and two 15 inch car tires in back. The ibeams lifted on the packer wheels or rock kickers to suspend drill.