Suspended axle pin

I had a pivot pin stuck earlier this year.  Machine shop bored it out.  Wasn't moving.  Good luck. 

I have no idea if this will help---but the last front axle I tried to move, I drilled a hole near the center of the casting thru just into the pin.   Tapped it for 1/4" pipe plug with a good bottoming tap, then threaded in a fitting from a porta-power cylinder.   Hooked the portapower up to it, and pumped oil into it.   Amazing how easy it forced oil into the "frozen" pin.   

Still took a lot of work to get out, but at least there was oil permeating all the rust.

Heat cycles, penetrating fluids and impact. Rinse and repeat. 

I have had success on large stuck pins by welding a shaft to the end of the pin, very stoutly. Then with the right pieces of heavy wall tubing, improvise a slide hammer. Make it as heavy as possible, give yourself at least 2 feet of slide travel. This will do things a steady pressure can’t do. 

• Like 1

Those axle pivot pins have caused me a lot of grief over the years. I have found that a big square punch and a sledge will a lot of times work wonders. Just wears me out more that it used too. 

9 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Oxygen lance with LOTS of leather protection from splattering molten metal.

X2. We bought an exothermic torch from caterpillar to cut the load cells out of our mixer wagons when they fail.  It was 700 dollars? Have used it for lots of other pin removal jobs and it would work perfect on that one.   I can get the part number for it if you need.  The slide hammer idea of gearclash is probably next best thing.  

I can show a another load bar picture that involved a slide hammer and a torch . . . 😡

An oxygen lance would have been most helpful that day.  Next best thing is turn all the O2 valves on the torch as far open as they will go . . .