Jump to content

Anyone know anything about a 1535 JD Max Emerge drill?


Recommended Posts

Neighbor is having a retirement auction online and one of the items in the sale is a 1535 John Deere Max Emerge drill with the bean meters on it. 15 inch rows, has a caddy to carry it so instead of mounting it on the 3 point arms it can be pulled with the drawbar. No till set up 

The sale started in August and they have as of yet had no bids on it. I was wondering if they are any good at planting soybeans, how much tractor it takes to pull one and stuff like that. We currently plant beans with our Kinzie corn planter which does a decent job ( 30 inch row beans). It's just with it planting corn, we can't plant beans at the same time. If we had a dedicated bean planter, when im not needed discing ground, i could plant some beans with it if it was worth something. We looked at his corn planter to but are shying away from it as its not set up the way we want it and while we can set it up to our specs. How much money do you want to sink into a 16 year old planter to set it up to the way you want.

Any input would be appreciated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Know acouple guys who has/had them.............They work good for beans, but are heavy(even on the caddy), and are limited for use(Not a 7.5" drill) .............So if you could buy it cheap enough it would do what you need it too.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Know acouple guys who has/had them.............They work good for beans, but are heavy(even on the caddy), and are limited for use(Not a 7.5" drill) .............So if you could buy it cheap enough it would do what you need it too.  

That's what im hoping if it can be bought cheap enough. We have a cheap drill for what small grains and alfalfa we do. This is only a bean planter with the bean units on it. My opinion is it would be worth it to be able to get some early beans in the ground while still getting corn in too. 15 inch beans would be narrower than the 30 inch we do now which yield wise do well for us.

This is what it looks like. Its really convenient considering it is literally a mile down the road from my house. When he quit farming a couple years ago, we ended up with all his rented ground 

13527547_6.jpg

13527552_4.jpg

13527562_4.jpg

13527548_4.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks nice................I personally think those row units stuffed under there would be a pain to work on, but have no first hand experience.  To me anyhow, I would rather have a late 750 or later 1560 or 90 and keep one rank up and use block off plates and you got a machine that will do alot more than beans well.  And IMO, a Cyclo with early riser units is a better bean planter by far over that 1535 so it would have to be cheap for me to have one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Looks nice................I personally think those row units stuffed under there would be a pain to work on, but have no first hand experience.  To me anyhow, I would rather have a late 750 or later 1560 or 90 and keep one rank up and use block off plates and you got a machine that will do alot more than beans well.  And IMO, a Cyclo with early riser units is a better bean planter by far over that 1535 so it would have to be cheap for me to have one.

Im trying to stay away from drill units for soybeans ( controlled spill metering) Hence why we went brush meters on our corn planter instead of a drill. Yeah you can put belt meters on the drill but true meters are more accurate yet. 

That's one thing that is not around here. Red Cyclo planters. It either blue or green. Predominantly blue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Im trying to stay away from drill units for soybeans ( controlled spill metering) Hence why we went brush meters on our corn planter instead of a drill. Yeah you can put belt meters on the drill but true meters are more accurate yet. 

That's one thing that is not around here. Red Cyclo planters. It either blue or green. Predominantly blue. 

Never was many Cyclo's around me either, which is odd as IH was pretty popular, but we had one here, I really liked it for beans.  Ran green planters later in both brush meters for beans, and also Vac.....................Still thought the Cyclo was better, with the Vac being behind that.  For what they sell for now, and if I ever need another planter for beans, a good size Cyclo would be here.  Row unit, simple seed delivery, and the bulk fill has me hooked.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We pulled our 1535 20' with a 5250 maxxum in clay rolling hills.  I wouldn't have wanted anything smaller on it.  They are very good planters.  There is a roll pin that drives the bean metering cups that we would replace every other year cause they get stressed and to avoid a breakdown during planting.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, feedlot special said:

We pulled our 1535 20' with a 5250 maxxum in clay rolling hills.  I wouldn't have wanted anything smaller on it.  They are very good planters.  There is a roll pin that drives the bean metering cups that we would replace every other year cause they get stressed and to avoid a breakdown during planting.  

Yours was 20 ft. This one is 15 ft. So i might get away with something smaller if needed? We have bigger tractors if needed but it would be nice if i didn't have to unhook one to go plant beans if i needed to 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Yours was 20 ft. This one is 15 ft. So i might get away with something smaller if needed? We have bigger tractors if needed but it would be nice if i didn't have to unhook one to go plant beans if i needed to 

They ran 4450's(with mfd) and up on them here and I was told a 4450 wasn't really enough on slopes..............15 ft version, you could never have a 20 here unless you unloaded it on the only farm you were planting and left it there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Yours was 20 ft. This one is 15 ft. So i might get away with something smaller if needed? We have bigger tractors if needed but it would be nice if i didn't have to unhook one to go plant beans if i 

Im not sure how steep of hills you have.  Our 20' was on a caddy also i should have said earlier.  Thats how our 5250 could handle it.  There aren't any 15' 1535s around us so i cant tell you what people use.  But our 5250 mfd would handle a 15' on a caddy real well.  The last year we had the planter we ran our 8950 on it and it handled it easily.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Used one once doing beans from dealer, came with a 7810 mfd. on it. Loaded with seed it would work it. 

That's the tractor he had on it.

It varies on hills here. We have a few steap SOBs and the rest go from moderately rolly to somewhat level.  

Our bigger tractors go from 2 7120s, Farmall 105u FWA and a 786. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...