My buddy`s wife

When the power company put in a new line past my place a few years ago, they hooked a generator by plugging into my welder outlet while I was shut off.  They had the main disconnect on the meter pole shut off of course.

8 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I remember back in the day some making a double male ended cord and  plugging their generator into an outlet in the house. Big no no. 

My great uncle in Oregon had this setup.  I have that cord.  Never will use it, will cut the one end off before I use that cord.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, 801486 said:

When the power company put in a new line past my place a few years ago, they hooked a generator by plugging into my welder outlet while I was shut off.  They had the main disconnect on the meter pole shut off of course.

We used to do that with the pto generator. Pull the disconnect and shut off all the breakers. Fire up generator and turn on 1 at a time and only what was necessary. No problem

• Like 1
10 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I was talking generators on here one time years ago and one of the members here told me a line that kind of stuck with me. Think it might have been Hardtail but can’t dememver for sure as that was close to 15 years ago now maybe more. They said you don’t want to light up a linemen. We have a disconnect at the meter so we can shut the power off and switch to generator power if need be and be pretty safe to not backfeed any power into the grid. 

Might have been me, my memory is going faster than last weeks paycheque 

Yes there are many ways it can and has been done, on a new install now I doubt any electrical inspector would pass anything without a properly installed transfer switch but the old way could potentially back feed the line endangering linemen, in reality the load would probably burn your generator out in short order. The caution on feeding through a circuit such as welder or stove receptacle would be exceeding the current rating of that circuit although in theory it’s breaker should still trip if that happened, new guy has this covered.