My buddy`s wife

Texted me last night to ask if we had electric, which we did not.

Said my buddy was driving around looking to see why.

Anyhow, told her I was hooking up the generator and asked if she wanted me to send them some electric down as they live half a mile from us.

She replied "Yes please! We would appreciate it!"

LMAO...; poor guy..

• Haha 5

Ya know it’s not as silly as it sounds, when we have power outs like yesterday the trailers with gens run til power resumption, when the company works on the grid, like a transformer upgrade or a line upgrade we get notifications to not use generators as the excess power goes back into the system energizing the grid, I know what you mean with the lady though.

6 minutes ago, MTO said:

Anyhow, told her I was hooking up the generator and asked if she wanted me to send them some electric down as they live half a mile from us.

LMAO...; poor guy..

You should consolate your buddy and his wife?

• Haha 1
54 minutes ago, MTO said:

Tell her the power lines are down but you'll be glad to send some to them via underground electric pipeline.....

1 hour ago, MTO said:

LMAO...; poor guy..

Got bluetooth?😆

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

Ya know it’s not as silly as it sounds, when we have power outs like yesterday the trailers with gens run til power resumption, when the company works on the grid, like a transformer upgrade or a line upgrade we get notifications to not use generators as the excess power goes back into the system energizing the grid, I know what you mean with the lady though.

Ummm....... if it does you are doing something wrong...

• Like 3
1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Ummmm.......Not me.

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

I remember back in the day some making a double male ended cord and  plugging their generator into an outlet in the house. Big no no. 

I think coming into fall the local REA paper still warns against doing this and shows proper ways to hook up using a transfer switch.

Of course ahead of cold snaps, local Rez Radio stills warns the tribe against building an open fire in the house to stay warm.................not a lot of folks leave here to work for NASA😪                         😁

• Haha 7
10 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

I remember back in the day some making a double male ended cord and  plugging their generator into an outlet in the house. Big no no. 

I think coming into fall the local REA paper still warns against doing this and shows proper ways to hook up using a transfer switch.

Of course ahead of cold snaps, local Rez Radio stills warns the tribe against building an open fire in the house to stay warm.................not a lot of folks leave here to work for NASA😪                         😁

The odd time we used to find unconscious family members who warmed their rental units with hibachi bbqs, even saw a house one time when we went in the entire front room was burnt black but didn’t get enough air for a flash over, the owner was drunk in the  bedroom passed out but the door was closed so no ill effects for him, we couldn’t believe what we saw.

• Confused 2
4 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

The odd time we used to find unconscious family members who warmed their rental units with hibachi bbqs, even saw a house one time when we went in the entire front room was burnt black but didn’t get enough air for a flash over, the owner was drunk in the  bedroom passed out but the door was closed so no ill effects for him, we couldn’t believe what we saw.

There are those out there that are "blessed" with less than functional intellect. 😪

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

There are those out there that are "blessed" with less than functional intellect. 😪

Damn I hate getting old, there is a Darwin phrase for just what we are talking about, maybe if I take a nap...................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hiller,..... When we lived in MT,  I knew a guy who had a contract to build houses on the Crow reservation. He said they would steal the wiring out before his crew could finish the house. And the fire in the living room was not all that uncommon. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I have a buddy tbe works for the Recc.  They shut there trucks off and listen for generators.   And test the lines, or work them hot  even though they are dead just incase.  A transformer will increase the out going voltage so they would have more then 110/220v

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Damn I hate getting old, there is a Darwin phrase for just what we are talking about, maybe if I take a nap...................

Up from your nap yet Jake???

Did you think of the phrase?

The highest compliment I could give them is "their family tree is distinguished by an impressive list of Darwin Award winners"😉

• Haha 2
On 9/8/2020 at 3:18 PM, sandhiller said:

Plug mine into the dryer outlet.

BIL asked me if it would work cause electricity comes OUT of an OUTlet....

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, MTO said:

Plug mine into the dryer outlet.

BIL asked me if it would work cause electricity comes OUT of an OUTlet....

See above Darwin Awards🤪😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually there is this, maybe she ain't so dumb🤔

240297140_teslatowers.jpg.86916adab12909fbbe55a65c43c3e1db.jpg

Nikola Tesla Built a Giant Tower to Send Wireless Electricity Around the World

Tesla imagined that it would be the beginning of a network of towers, 30 at least, around the world. He believed that these towers would allow him to send electricity through the atmosphere, which anyone with the correct equipment could tap into.

• Like 2

My experience:
So we are rebuilding a road. Contractor has to set precast concrete box culvert segments. The local crane service comes out with the crane, sets all but the last one and the operator says I can't set the last one, there are those power lies. Ok, your boss was here to check this out, not my issue. Boss says we need the power shut off. So I call the power company. No, we don't do that  so I call in all my favors and they finally agree to do it.  So the crane comes out. There's a caution flasher about 500 feet away. The light goes dark. The crane guy says is it ok to start? I say I'm not comfortable until the power co rep shows up. Sure enough a few more minutes and a line crew shows up. They confirm power is off. The crane operator says to the line crew so it's now ok to put my cable up against the power line. The crew says no way. We can't guarantee that one of the farms now on generator isn't back feeding into the lines. So the answer is NO. Crane packs up and leaves. No one is happy.

The supplier takes the box back to the precast yard. We buy 2 pieces 1/2 the original length and the contractor can set the pieces with his big Komatsu hydraulic excavator. The producer kept the 8 foot piece until we needed it on another project - no storage fees:). The crane guy sends a bill for the 2nd trip that was a waste of everyone's time. Needless to say, I didn't pay it. They no longer are my 1st choice for a crane service.

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Up from your nap yet Jake???

Did you think of the phrase?

The highest compliment I could give them is "their family tree is distinguished by an impressive list of Darwin Award winners"😉

Haw haw aren't we funny, no nap, more clean up and rebuilt the hog clutch,

The darwin thing is just the winner of the darwin award for natural selection that improves the gene pool.

But there is a quickie answer, can't thunk of it.

2 hours ago, dannyredfan said:

I have a buddy tbe works for the Recc.  They shut there trucks off and listen for generators.   And test the lines, or work them hot  even though they are dead just incase.  A transformer will increase the out going voltage so they would have more then 110/220v

33 minutes ago, Raildudes dad said:

My experience:
So we are rebuilding a road. Contractor has to set precast concrete box culvert segments. The local crane service comes out with the crane, sets all but the last one and the operator says I can't set the last one, there are those power lies. Ok, your boss was here to check this out, not my issue. Boss says we need the power shut off. So I call the power company. No, we don't do that  so I call in all my favors and they finally agree to do it.  So the crane comes out. There's a caution flasher about 500 feet away. The light goes dark. The crane guy says is it ok to start? I say I'm not comfortable until the power co rep shows up. Sure enough a few more minutes and a line crew shows up. They confirm power is off. The crane operator says to the line crew so it's now ok to put my cable up against the power line. The crew says no way. We can't guarantee that one of the farms now on generator isn't back feeding into the lines. So the answer is NO. Crane packs up and leaves. No one is happy.

The supplier takes the box back to the precast yard. We buy 2 pieces 1/2 the original length and the contractor can set the pieces with his big Komatsu hydraulic excavator. The producer kept the 8 foot piece until we needed it on another project - no storage fees:). The crane guy sends a bill for the 2nd trip that was a waste of everyone's time. Needless to say, I didn't pay it. They no longer are my 1st choice for a crane service.

Both of your posts are exactly what the electric guys here contend with, but at least in this circumstance the area can be patrolled for some errant power supply running.

I was talking generators on here one time years ago and one of the members here told me a line that kind of stuck with me. Think it might have been Hardtail but can’t dememver for sure as that was close to 15 years ago now maybe more. They said you don’t want to light up a linemen. We have a disconnect at the meter so we can shut the power off and switch to generator power if need be and be pretty safe to not backfeed any power into the grid. 

1 minute ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I was talking generators on here one time years ago and one of the members here told me a line that kind of stuck with me. Think it might have been Hardtail but can’t dememver for sure as that was close to 15 years ago now maybe more. They said you don’t want to light up a linemen. We have a disconnect at the meter so we can shut the power off and switch to generator power if need be and be pretty safe to not backfeed any power into the grid. 

Yeah.  I got some good advice here on this and bought a transfer switch to make it work. Keeping my fingers crossed.  Some outages around here but hopefully none before I get it all wired