There's what they're worth, and what the dealer is asking for them. Usually, there is a big disparity between the two numbers, that cannot be resolved.

Equipment like that is usually "sucker priced" that is, priced for that one sucker who comes along and has no clue what it's worth, falls in love and pays whatever the dealer is asking.

I've just seen way too many of these situations in my relatively short time here to not be cynical about it.

32 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Kinda hard for me to pay the same price for a 56-66-86 when I can buy a legacy Maxxum for about the same money or a little more. 

Lots of good iron our your way tons cheaper than here.  I get picked on all the time I am a millionair because I buy stuff way bigger than what I really need, find it cheap in other areas and truck it in and are way ahead of what the same amount would buy here locally......................Those same guys making fun of me look for things and I find them out of state for a smoking price and they say no because they can't go drive it before buying it, which is really something because the ones they ended up buying they could drive were at my garage getting split months later for a issue of some sort that they didn't find "Driving" it anyhow.  So not only did they pay more, they still have to pay more yet to fix it.  Makes zero sense to me but that is the way of the locals.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, TP from Central PA said:

Lots of good iron our your way tons cheaper than here.  I get picked on all the time I am a millionair because I buy stuff way bigger than what I really need, find it cheap in other areas and truck it in and are way ahead of what the same amount would buy here locally......................Those same guys making fun of me look for things and I find them out of state for a smoking price and they say no because they can't go drive it before buying it, which is really something because the ones they ended up buying they could drive were at my garage getting split months later for a issue of some sort that they didn't find "Driving" it anyhow.  So not only did they pay more, they still have to pay more yet to fix it.  Makes zero sense to me but that is the way of the locals.

Sort of maybe. Tractors are cheaper around here, but not as cheap as other parts of the country.  I definitely can’t buy a Maxxum reasonable locally.  Older tractors still get overpriced too sometimes in my opinion.

Gotta laugh about that one.  Most certainly truth there.  Not always, but often enough to make me not too worried about buying sight unseen.  

There is definitely a “basis” with machinery in the country.  Try buying machining equipment out here.  Grrrr!

2 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Sort of maybe. Tractors are cheaper around here, but not as cheap as other parts of the country.  I definitely can’t buy a Maxxum reasonable locally.  Older tractors still get overpriced too sometimes in my opinion.

Gotta laugh about that one.  Most certainly truth there.  Not always, but often enough to make me not too worried about buying sight unseen.  

There is definitely a “basis” with machinery in the country.  Try buying machining equipment out here.  Grrrr!

Compared to here, your guys iron is a ton cheaper...................Bought a number out there for less than half the same would be here, and even what the sellers called rough condition there were decent here.  Things seem to be better kept there than in dairy land here.  Heck, I bought a 4960 out of Ky. earlier this year with coolant in the pan for less than I could have bought a 4020 for here, with 2k trucking, and acouple K in the engine if I don't count my time as a cost, I got a heck of a tractor for not much.  I certainly couldn't touch one for sale here in running condition for triple what I have in this one.  And I got MFD with new tires on the front, cab, working air, etc.  Have to put rear rubber on it yet, but I can put on what I want, not what I get.  

21 hours ago, stronger800 said:

I did not watch the 11 min video... what were the prices and what state? 

I finally took the time to watch the video, no prices were given and they were in Pennsylvania. Wouldn’t mind seeing if he test drove them and prices.

• Thanks 1

I’m with Tyler. I’ve give up buying tractors here. You can get better tractors that have been shedded and seen no silage or cow s$hit from row crop country.

38 minutes ago, exSW said:

I’m with Tyler. I’ve give up buying tractors here. You can get better tractors that have been shedded and seen no silage or cow s$hit from row crop country.

I didn't say I won't buy them here, it's just not the first and only place I look anymore.  Last one I bought close was from a forum member, it needed some things but has been a good one.   Did about the same I did as I do when I buy out of state, only instead of mailing the check, I delivered it.  Never even drove it until the day we went and got it.  It came from Ohio and wasn't destroyed.   Unfortunately, if it's nice locally it is usually priced at the top, while the junk costs about the same as what good stuff costs from out west.  Then you got the Dutch boy paint overhauls here in pa where you don't know what has been hidden.  I know my wife hates seeing me on Craigslist, but it probably has made us a lot of money if we ever have a sale and sell our assets.  I often wonder what my old man would think about it, he was all about saving a buck, but was a "have to look at it person".......not sure if he would think I was a hero or a zero buying like I do out of state.

Gotta laugh a little, TP, would you believe I bought a tractor out of PA once?  Best deal I could find at the time with the features I wanted.  TM120 from Jim Burkholder.  Ran for 3 years, decided it wasn’t was I wanted, sold it on consignment auction out here and didn’t take a beating on it.  

The used equipment market is priced by whatever you can get someone to pay for the item.

I realize this is a simplistic observation but after spending years on Purplewave auction, that is my best observation.

Like real estate, also location; location; location.

4 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Unfortunately, if it's nice locally it is usually priced at the top, while the junk costs about the same as what good stuff costs from out west.

I pretty gave up on auctions here in Western PA, and with many online as well, I have bought a few items out of state.  Grain carts locally over priced or abused - found a nice one in IL that I had trucked in cheaper than I could find around here (450 bu).  1460 combine from Ohio, close enough to look at, and owner delivered for free.

• Like 1

When I was looking at tractors out in Western Ohio I had every intention of roading it home.

On 9/8/2020 at 1:09 PM, TP from Central PA said:

Saved big bucks by traveling, I just jump in my rollback take cash ,check whatever  and head out.Too far buy it over phone sight unseen way before cell phones and internet. Guys would  oh and ah but say look what it cost you to travel.I say cost ? Your way wrong look what it SAVED me to travel therefore it MADE  me money to travel.Did you make thousands by staying home yesterday?They just grumble, say I am cheap and walk away.

On 9/8/2020 at 9:05 AM, Farmall Fanatic said:

Very least they could have changed the filters on the 10 after $5 overhaul, nothing  points out patch job,taped together, lipstick shined up then spray paint over the filters.It would stear me away.I prob bid on a old beat looking one before it.Just advertises that you just painted it,your all for the shine, you really don't want to put 20 more bucks in it,your all about just unloading it.

20 hours ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

I pretty gave up on auctions here in Western PA, and with many online as well, I have bought a few items out of state.  Grain carts locally over priced or abused - found a nice one in IL that I had trucked in cheaper than I could find around here (450 bu).  1460 combine from Ohio, close enough to look at, and owner delivered for free.

Honestly, if you find the right people and use them over and over, and aren't in a hurry for what you bought, I have found trucking to be fairly reasonable...............I certainly would never waste my time to go out and come back for what they charge to do it, and most of what I buy you need permits for anyhow, and doing it on my own, while you probably could, wouldn't be worth the headache for me anyhow because I know it would be a headache crossing multiple states.