Original IH radio in 3688 - repair/replacement options

And that totally depends on the individual.   I literally can't listen to music in a machine....I'm far to tuned in to the sounds as a mechanic (whats that rumble...thats new.)    My son can in the combine and wouldn't notice if a belt was hitting the underside of the cab.

• Haha 1

i put in the same brand the 86/88s came with REI -  you can still get them and updated with new features such as bluetooth and pigtail wire kits/face plates etc for adapting - dont have a pic of mine but i just replaced mine last year in our 5088 - https://radioeng.com/product/cd-5000-am-fm-cd-wb-bt-stereo-radio-w-d6-connector/?fwp_market=4-agconstruction%2Ccaseih&fwp_category=9-radios%2C0-bluetooth&fwp_per_page=15&fwp_sort=popularity 

I have been getting used radios out of 1400 series combines , they are always in good shape because they only get used once a year 👍😊

Danny 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Me trying to call for a used part:  wait on hold. talk to a guy who doesn’t know or appear interested. wait for them to call back. they don’t call back.   

And that’s me, guy with a long time good reputation, calling shops I’ve dealt with forever, butttttt the guys that Use to work there have all retired, and the new kids, we’ll.....

so personally, I’d drive to Walmart and have a new radio in my hand in 20 minutes. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Me trying to call for a used part:  wait on hold. talk to a guy who doesn’t know or appear interested. wait for them to call back. they don’t call back.   

And that’s me, guy with a long time good reputation, calling shops I’ve dealt with forever, butttttt the guys that Use to work there have all retired, and the new kids, we’ll.....

so personally, I’d drive to Walmart and have a new radio in my hand in 20 minutes. 

Ain't that the stinkin truth

4 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

I have been getting used radios out of 1400 series combines , they are always in good shape because they only get used once a year 👍😊

Danny 

We sell a few here, but it takes 3 or 4 attempts to find a good one.  Years of mice, moisture, vibration and dust have taken their toll.

• Sad 1

Fwiw.....saving $.  It literally is like 400 plus to get good STM radio from ASAP parts thats made to fit your tractor and includes wiring to plug n play, alont with new speakers (which are shot dont kid yourself) being 40 years old.  Then you will be done for rest of your life.  I jave Pioneer decks in alot of equip and like them.  But the latest models are hard to tough with dirty callousy hands.  The STM ive got from ASAP for the mx170 is made for a tractor.  Gloves on no problem, easy to see time, no openings to let dust in, and bluetooth for if (when) i get sick of 30m of commercials of every hr of music.  

My .01

That doesn’t seem too bad, but remember, back in the start of this thread he was hoping to use an older  clarion that he had in an ‘80s truck ($0) so 400 is still $400.  I was at Walmart last night (best place to buy rain-x washer fluid by far) and I noted a new Sony single din can be had for $59-89, speakers $29-40.  So it could be done for $100, although the buttons are small. 

10 hours ago, lightninboy said:

In my opinion, a good car radio or tractor radio setup on a good day should be able to pull in a high-powered AM station 250 to 400 miles away, might want to get certain FM stations too, but that's just my listening tastes.

Ahhhh. The good ole AM radio stations. Can hear a Thunderstorm 300 miles away on them, or pass under a power line.

This is the unit I put in our 5488. It came from Shoup@ 188.00. It came with the faceplate and both speakers. The speakers were around 50.00 extra. It is am/fm, Bluetooth and weather band. Sounds much better than the original which finally quit. It was a easy install. 

8A43D89E-13B8-4724-BF75-541A1CDE393C.jpeg

• Like 1

I attached the Clarion radio via the roof, ends up only part of radio works.  Some of the buttons were messed up, so it met the garbage can.  Ended up getting a Jensen radio from IH for it.  Didnt want to spend $$$, but I'm a terrible singer!  So far all works well with it.  Appreciate the suggestions and help with this install/issue.

Was able to just cut hole put larger for radio and keep original IH face plate.

20200909_142515.jpg

On 9/15/2020 at 4:30 PM, IHBOWEN said:

This is the unit I put in our 5488. It came from Shoup@ 188.00. It came with the faceplate and both speakers. The speakers were around 50.00 extra. It is am/fm, Bluetooth and weather band. Sounds much better than the original which finally quit. It was a easy install. 

8A43D89E-13B8-4724-BF75-541A1CDE393C.jpeg

That’s the exact same radio I put in my 5488. It works perfectly