Original IH radio in 3688 - repair/replacement options

So my original radio is acting up on me in my 3688, the fancy 2 knob style with the push buttons to select stations.  This spring is just started dropping stations and getting a lot of fuzz, no matter where I selected or tried to fine tune it.  Other times I'd have to crank it all the way up just to get a whisper out of the speakers, other times just silence.  I've checked and all wires are good, power going to radio (can hear the click when you turn it on through the speakers and like I said, sometimes hear voices.  Boy doesn't that sound screwed up!!)

I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing or is it just starting to show its age and needs replacing?  I do have an old Clarion stereo that I had in an '86 GMS S-15 that worked great (hopefully it still does??) that I could make a face plate to mount it in there.  Only problem it has like 25 wires coming outta the back of it.  I'm no stereo junkie, so how the heck would you know which wire hooks to what!??  Is there any issues using a newer stereo system in an old set up like the 88 series cabs?

Thoughts or suggestions?  Imagine I'll go batty this fall if I have to sing to myself!

feb camera pictures 673.jpg

NorthernTool has a good price in that REI unit, which is pretty much a drop in replacement.

I don't know where you'd find a cheap old fashioned "2-knob" radio anymore. Cars haven't come with them since the 1980's, and everyone wants a fancy upgraded unit so they just cut a hole. Used to be you could go to Radio Shack and get a basic AM-FM unit for $20. All you can get now are those overpriced reproduction radios for 1950's cars.

The Clariion unit in your truck you could probably figure out the wiring. All you need to find are the keyed power, continuous power (if you want the clock to remain set), and the speaker lines.

Mike Links has some really nice ones look like the old two knobs but are digital and it has a back plate already on it, people want to complain about the price but a cheap system does not last long in farm equipment, we have some with marine radios and they where in them when we got them work like a new one. We also have some non digital ones they last a long time but where they're so many stations around here you may hear 3 going across the field once they're hard to dial in. One deal here about 15 years ago started putting car radios in to help keep cost down needless to say it didn't take long for them to figure out not to put them in. Shoup has a nice setup also but i don't know about how long they last i helped a guy a couple years ago put one in but haven't heard anymore about it it came with the back plate already on it also. 

• Like 3

I prefer modern stereo equipment with no less than a port to plug a phone in.  I prefer bluetooth and satellite ready.  If your going to spend hours and hours in it, why not have the ability to listen to what you want?  You like Pandora? Stream it to the radio.  You like to listen to podcasts, stream it.  I'm betting that none of this applies to you based on what stereo you asked if you could mount.... but no reason to shove an old radio in there.  At the very least, get the new faceplate and put a radio for a Magnum tractor in from Case IH.  They last a long time because they are made for the equipment abuse. 

• Like 4

I use a piece of aluminum as a face plate and have five of these modern ish single DIN jobbers mounted in our 1066’s. Original they are not, but, they are $89 anywhere, add new speakers for another $50.  I’ve had one in a 1466 for 10+ years, plowing and disking, so durability isn’t an issue. IMO.  image.thumb.jpg.d7f04245f2e6f072001ded47b70a97e6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I installed one from shoup in my 5488.  It came with the face plate and has Bluetooth.

I prefer anything digital over the old dials, with the digital once you tune into a station is stays there, instead of the dials which seem to change stations within a round on their own.

• Like 2

I just got a JVC stereo for a John Deere 7830 from farmradiosupply.com.  We wanted blue tooth.  They offered it with a harness that plugs right into the tractor.  They had 10 different ones for that tractor with different features and price. It was 100 dollars cheaper than the Jensen the Deere dealer sells.  I called and the guy set me right up.  Not sure if this helps you but it worked for us. 

• Thanks 2

The radio in my 5488 quit working for a while, could hear the speakers click when turned on but nothing after that, finally figured out the FM/AM slide had been bumped in between, slid back over to FM a wallah, it worked again!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for suggestions/input guys, appreciate that!  Like to see if this Clarion radio will work (save some money) first I think.  Found a wiring diagram for it, so instead of using ALL 16 wires coming out the back, I do now know which ones to use! 🙄  It actually shows for a BASIC 2 speaker system, was quite surprised.

Dumb question though.... are ALL antenna ports the same size for these style radios? I was never into electronics much, just liked good sounding systems but couldn't afford them normally, so didn't learn a lot about them unfortunately.

Hoping that the dust won't effect this radio too much - I guess if I get a couple years out of it, can't complain.  All its doing now is collecting dust on the shelf??  Going to test it out first and make sure it actually works before making a face plate to mount it.  Be pretty ticked off if it didn't work.  IF it doesn't work - will likely go with one from Mike Links or see if can get one for a Magnum, like you say - durability!??

Ehh, I’m all for original and fancy....but my tractors are Old, so in my case, doing like I do, works for me.  Your Clarion is going to be fine, but really, for the effort....Mounting it, or going to get a new Sony/kenwood/jvc at Walmart etc for $75-100, it's the same  effort to mount it,  plus you can Bluetooth  your phone to it, do xm radio, charge your phone etc...(.if it ever feel the need to act that modern) so I’d just do that. It will come with a sleeve, you trace the sleeve on your mounting/adapter plate, cut that hole. Done.  The pic I posted above is one of my oldest ones...I used scrap metal. I’ve done a nicer job on more recent ones. 

And antenna plugs are all the same. 

• Like 1

Because I’m stuck in the ‘70s, I don’t know if your 88 radio had two power wires going to it or not, like cars and trucks, one wire is Hot and keeps the clock and the audio presets saved, and the other wire goes to the key switch and powers the unit up when you turn the key on. My 66’s didn’t have two wires, so I always run a new double lead wire, and take one end to a Hot terminal and the other to a keyed terminal, usually each side of the cab solenoid, where I also fuse them both. I’m thinking your tractor probably has fused radio leads already  

Check with United Radio in Syracuse, NY. They can repair it, guaranteed. They have been in business for 100 years and they're really really good at everything they do.

Use wire labels when you start clipping. I always use them when doing hairy electrical work. Worth the few bucks and extra minutes of work.

Farm collectors has an add by antique radio of Iowa,council bluffs ,712-322-2255 ,🤷‍♂️👀

22 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Grandpa had the radios taken out...have to hear machine if somethings wrong he said.

That sounds like a grandpa thing. At least, it sounds like my grandpa!

45 minutes ago, KWRB said:

That sounds like a grandpa thing. At least, it sounds like my grandpa!

Hey most of his life he listened to the draft horse farting in front of him all day!

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Hey most of his life he listened to the draft horse farting in front of him all day!

had to hear the farts too, in case the diet needing tweaking, no doubt!

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, KWRB said:

had to hear the farts too, in case the diet needing tweaking, no doubt!

A farting horse never tires, a farting man is the man to hire!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

That’s important part of the machine ,listening to the hum of you environment surrounds  ! What I call country rap !  

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

A farting horse never tires, a farting man is the man to hire!

My grandpa always said that.  Still makes me chuckle

On 9/8/2020 at 11:04 AM, jass1660 said:

Grandpa had the radios taken out...have to hear machine if somethings wrong he said.

And if he was like my Grandpa, he couldn't hear anything going wrong anyway.