High wind warnings and heat wave coming

Wind started blowing out of the east today bringing lots of smoke and heat with it. We are smoked out here. People are calling in false fire reports every where. There is one maybe two confirmed fires. A few power outages and power companies may shut down lines. That wouldnt hurt my feelings as I live in timber. Been a crazy year so far. 

• Sad 2

Terrible dry here but got through our last blast with only a few small grass fires

Cool and rainy now and a sorely needed break. Maybe a little snow tonight won't bother me a bit.

you are right this year has been one for the books

Stay safe up there, hope you make it to cooler weather!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Terrible dry here but got through our last blast with only a few small grass fires

Cool and rainy now and a sorely needed break. Maybe a little snow tonight won't bother me a bit.

you are right this year has been one for the books

Stay safe up there, hope you make it to cooler weather!

Only a few days of hot weather and eastern winds then hopefully it will cool down. We need rain too. It's been dry. I have a fair fire break. I'm going to fill the gas cans tomorrow and get a generator ready. Hopefully wont be any problems here. I'm not set up to move horses. If I had a trailer ready to go they may not get in. Guess I better get to work on my trailer too. Really would like to have an old firetruck. Someday I will. 

1 minute ago, redneckhippie said:

Only a few days of hot weather and eastern winds then hopefully it will cool down. We need rain too. It's been dry. I have a fair fire break. I'm going to fill the gas cans tomorrow and get a generator ready. Hopefully wont be any problems here. I'm not set up to move horses. If I had a trailer ready to go they may not get in. Guess I better get to work on my trailer too. Really would like to have an old firetruck. Someday I will. 

After 2012, most all of the ranchers built a "ranch rig" or at least a skid unit to have ready. I have had a rural grass rig for so long I would feel naked without one.

You can put one together on the cheap with a tank, trash pump and good garden hose and nozzle. Close to 500 bucks. Put out a lot fire wit a set up like that. Could save your house and outbuildings some day. 

Good luck!

21 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

After 2012, most all of the ranchers built a "ranch rig" or at least a skid unit to have ready. I have had a rural grass rig for so long I would feel naked without one.

You can put one together on the cheap with a tank, trash pump and good garden hose and nozzle. Close to 500 bucks. Put out a lot fire wit a set up like that. Could save your house and outbuildings some day. 

Good luck!

Yep. I have plenty of rigs. All I need is ambition and a few bucks.  Fires are probably 150 miles the way the crow flies. Got ashes dropping on us from them. Reminds me of my old days field burning. I was much younger then. 

I'm up here and had the first winds and warm, 28 today, go to 30 tomorrow, inland three fires, where we are  at the campfires were shutdown months ago, y'all take care.

• Like 1

Raining good here now 

Just talked to oldest son said it is snowing hard in wyoming. Just north of Casper they are driving 40.

I would like to see a bit of that here 😀

Wish all the areas that are burning out west could see it to!

Pretty good thunderstorm rolled thru here. Woke me up. Hope you guys in dry areas do get some relief. Suppose to be wet and cool here all week.  We need it too as we been dry.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Pretty good thunderstorm rolled thru here. Woke me up. Hope you guys in dry areas do get some relief. Suppose to be wet and cool here all week.  We need it too as we been dry.

My beans are green enough yet I'm hoping this rain will give them a late boost. Lots of others not too far from combine time.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Good luck!

Thinking of making a fire rig here. Trash pump work off PTO or gas engine and HP of the engine?

Eastern Washington is burning up. Fire at Omak jumped the Columbia river now headed south. South of Spokane 80% of Malden burned.

https://www.krem.com/article/news/local/wildfire/town-of-malden-destroyed-wildfire/293-508a1a33-fffb-4e33-bdb2-54f375c1a3d5

• Sad 1
5 minutes ago, jingles1928 said:

Thinking of making a fire rig here. Trash pump work off PTO or gas engine and HP of the engine?

Get the trash pump with gas motor together.

It won't be high pressure but that's fine, it will reach out there.

A nozzle rated to 10gpm will make your water last longer and will still put out serious fire.

Now, this the budget way to do it but will work fine if you want to have something on hand  just in case. It is peace of mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, edwardporter1 said:

this is what i woke up to. winds blowing 40 mph got no clue how many inches. it was96 on Saturday

15995751047881198584700.jpg

Yuck

38 minutes ago, jingles1928 said:

My fire rig is a harbour freight pump, a tank that I used to use to haul water, a suction hose and a 100 foot of high quality garden hose.

• Like 1

My tanker is a Ford l8000 dump with 2 1000 gallons plastic tanks in the back, both outlets T together, each tank has a shutoff valve. Bought a fire suppression pump set up at north 40 , 100 feet of fire hose and nozzle, used to use it for taking water to the cows when shallow well couldn't keep up with them. Now it gets filled and on standby out at the property every fall. It us getting really dry now. 

Wind storm blew through yesterday, took down plenty of trees and a few power lines for half the day. Some still out if power   here's to a crazy fall

Stay safe all

Mark

• Like 1
7 hours ago, mader656 said:

Yuck

My fire rig is a harbour freight pump, a tank that I used to use to haul water, a suction hose and a 100 foot of high quality garden hose.

Only thing I am missing is the pump

Yes smoke keeping the sun out again today,just a bit over 90 at 2 PM. The arson fire right on the bluffs of the Big Sur coast that had been at 20 to 30,000 acres for a week took a new run last night to where they are talking 40 to 45,000 now.

Not the way it should be done,but the Creek fire at Huntington and Shaver lakes in the high Sierra could be a very good thing for the forest. About 5 years ago the old trees where dying from bark beetles helped with multi year drought. Was very hard to log because of how steep,but of coarse not permitted anyway. Clean the old dead out start over.  

• Sad 1