My skid steer trailer is a 22' tilt deck. Absolutely love that thing. Myself I wouldn't consider anything but a tilt deck for a car/equipment trailer. At work we have one with pullout ramps and a couple with stand up ramps. I hate the pull outs. If you dont load and unload often it's fine but when constantly loading and unloading I wouldn't even consider pull out ramps. For the flip ups, one has steel ramps and one aluminum ramps. Haven't hurt either yet with loading and unloading the skid steer

My gooseneck deck over has flip over ramps and a pop up center on a beavertail. That is the best setup but I don't know if that is available on a car hauler?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Something I've seen a lot of recently is the benefit of legs on the ramps. Mine is a 90s hudson 12k. It has stand up ramps with the legs. It keeps the trailer from getting wacky when loading heavy ite

ID look for a nice tiltdeck or hydraulic tilt if it was me, full flat deck and no ramps to handle. My next trailer will be such.

Ramps are overrated.  26' total length.  22' tilt, 4' stationary.  12k winch.  Only regret is it's only a pair of 7k axles.  Next will be tandem duals with hydraulic tail.

Posted Images

Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming.

A lot of good thoughts and ideas coming out.

I will have to look at some tilt deck models.

I had a truck and trailer run away from me once loading a tractor when the back end of the trailer went down and lifted the back end of the truck. I will never load something heavy without jacks on back of trailer.

We have flip over ramps on the trailer at work, and I know that I don't want that style. Lots of positive points for the stand up style. I wasn't thinking of lowering ramps to take them off, that would make it a one man job.

Some really nice rigs out there, love the pictures!

13 minutes ago, CC_Ranger said:

Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming.

A lot of good thoughts and ideas coming out.

I will have to look at some tilt deck models.

I had a truck and trailer run away from me once loading a tractor when the back end of the trailer went down and lifted the back end of the truck. I will never load something heavy without jacks on back of trailer.

We have flip over ramps on the trailer at work, and I know that I don't want that style. Lots of positive points for the stand up style. I wasn't thinking of lowering ramps to take them off, that would make it a one man job.

Some really nice rigs out there, love the pictures!

Gets exciting doesn’t it? That’s why flip down ramps with feet are my preferred style, had the same thing happen to me loading the backhoe, 9 ton and the dump truck took off down the hill. finally decided if I kept driving on it would stop, whole event probably lasted 15 seconds but seemed like hours. 

No video?

Not sure what climate you live in but one of the bad things of a steel deck tilt deck is they are extremely slippery in winter snow and cold, wood deck is a little better but the end 4-6’ is usually steel so you have to get past it, a winch would be nice as an add on and I hear horror freight almost gives them away

On the ramps with a foot, mine I just backup the trailer to the ramps and then raise or lower the tongue jack to the height of the hinge rods to install, works fairly easy

so - for all u tilt deck fellas.........ive been up and down a lot of trailers so not to predispose anyone - how do you load your tilt deck trailers - big tractor etc....

i am curious to see where this goes 

First time I ever used a hydro tilt I thought I found Nirvana. Although the first time you pass over center and it travels  down to the lock position is bit disconcerting.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

so - for all u tilt deck fellas.........ive been up and down a lot of trailers so not to predispose anyone - how do you load your tilt deck trailers - big tractor etc....

I tilt the deck up, drive my tractor on, then tilt the deck down.  

Next question...

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

Mine is basically a car hauler so sits lower. Just tilt trailer up, drive on and it tilts back down. Mine is a gravity tilt with hyd cushion and lockout. Works slicker than slick for a skid steer. Deck over trailers you would want hyd tilt

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, caseySD said:

I tilt the deck up, drive my tractor on, then tilt the deck down.  

Next question...

reason i ask is i was wondering about muddy tires, slick trailer decks, some of them look pretty steep by the time you get it driven up on there and then settings the brakes and hope they hold while you get off and get it level. 

2 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Mine is basically a car hauler so sits lower. Just tilt trailer up, drive on and it tilts back down. Mine is a gravity tilt with hyd cushion and lockout. Works slicker than slick for a skid steer. Deck over trailers you would want hyd tilt

i have driven a SS up on a large gooseneck and boy it was not what i would call comfortable getting up/out of the SS and then getting down teh trailer to level it out. I was wondering if guys wench things on then level and then let them down slowly with wench to offload 

29 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

reason i ask is i was wondering about muddy tires, slick trailer decks, some of them look pretty steep by the time you get it driven up on there and then settings the brakes and hope they hold while you get off and get it level. 

i have driven a SS up on a large gooseneck and boy it was not what i would call comfortable getting up/out of the SS and then getting down teh trailer to level it out. I was wondering if guys wench things on then level and then let them down slowly with wench to offload 

The last 2 feet of my trailer (tail) is metal with square stock running the width every 4-5".  No matter snow, ice, rain or mud, you can drive anything on atleast the tail.  Tilt bed down and position further forward.  If your not feeling adventurous then use the winch to pull whatever you want up and on.  

• Like 1

Something I've seen a lot of recently is the benefit of legs on the ramps. Mine is a 90s hudson 12k. It has stand up ramps with the legs. It keeps the trailer from getting wacky when loading heavy items. I really like having them. I watched a guy come out to buy a truck I had for sale and when loading it, the trailer picked up the whole back end of his truck. I have pins I can knock out to remove the ramps if I need to. Not as handy as the slide in ramps, but a lot of advantage.

• Like 6
10 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Gets exciting doesn’t it? That’s why flip down ramps with feet are my preferred style, had the same thing happen to me loading the backhoe, 9 ton and the dump truck took off down the hill. finally decided if I kept driving on it would stop, whole event probably lasted 15 seconds but seemed like hours. 

Yes, it does get exciting very quickly. It happens before you know it. My incident was on just a slight incline, but the rig still rolled about 50' before the trailer jackknifed about the same time the driveway leveled out. It was all over in about 15 seconds in slow motion. no damage to any equipment, I had a big plastic box on the tongue for my tie downs and the rig was going slow enough that box cushioned the hit to my bumper and brought everything to a stop.  After that trip I fabricated a set of jacks that are mounted on the trailer permanently.

Speaking of tilt beds, I watched a guy at a shop trying to load an 8n style tractor on a tiltbed truck one day, he kept having trouble getting up far enough, the tractor kept spinning out. He kept at it trying with no luck until the tractor slid off the edge of the bed. I wasn't impressed!

I like the car hauler style tiltbeds, they are pretty low to the ground. How do they work if you want to load multiple vehicle?

Searcy they may even have remotes for the powerpak now to lower while your still behind the wheel

I had to load up my Chrysler 300 which is a pretty low clearance unit, didn’t scrape a thing

i would imagine the new fancy rigs have a bluetooth controller/remote but it gets a little dicey up there sometimes thats why i was wondering - ive put my SS in a dump trailer too and a copule others with tracks and its still a little butt puckering if you ask me 

I think a dozer on a lowboy in winter is worse when you come over the top, and steel on steel, start to really pay attention to the balancing point of your equipment, of course U tube is full of those that didn’t....

The only time i have used a tiltbed trailer is with snowmobiles. I didn't like it and sold it to buy a drive on/ drive off style. My car trailer is the standard drive/winch on with ramps that slide underneath. My gooseneck has the 5' beavertail with the Maxx ramps. These can lay flat or stand up.

I like what i have for now. If i had physical limitations i would consider a hydraulic beavertail on a gooseneck. Those Maxx ramps are a bit heavy. I have seen several car trailers with the foldup ramps stopping on the side of the road to put the ramps back up again.

Personal opinion and what you are going to be loading most should be the deciding factor. 

• Like 1

Rainman,

Nice rig! No problems pulling with a half ton ?

That style has caught my eye, and not much more for a new one compared to a used aluminum trailer.

Looks like the deck height is lower than a standard flatbed. Is it power tilt or just hydraulic cushioning? What if you want to load several vehicles, say two or three Cub Cadets or quads on it, what keeps it tilted and the ramps on the ground with the first vehicle to the front?

18 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

I usually can find a divot in a parking lot, or a low spot, or a small rise like the pic with the BN, to put the trailer tires in, so the deck doesn't have to be so steep. Sometimes, draft a friend to run the tilt control, so when I get the tractor on the deck, friend can lower the deck to a more reasonable level. I could have gotten a remote control for the hyd pump, but it would have cost extra. When I loaded the Regular, it was in a flat field and the tractor didn't run. That one was winched on with a HF inexpensive winch (you can see it in the picture), and the deck was lowered after the back wheels were on the deck, so it dragged easier.

1557905020_2003-11-0316_53.16-Copy.thumb.jpg.2247f30ad4516fd5e2d44cdb87829d9d.jpg

1680550283_2003-03-1906_43_15.thumb.jpg.6cf11cd2d074bed2c97c953e4840c027.jpg

• Like 1
19 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

I have no problem loading the skid steer in the deck over, with beaver tails and good ramps, but dad will not. Says it's crazy lol. So I bought those tilt deck. I was looking for just a car hauler with beavertail and ramps but found this one cheaper so I bought it and couldn't be happier. I have spun out in winter loading on our car haulers at work with pullout ramps or even the flip downs. I have never had an issue with the tilt deck. Way less steep to climb up, plus I got metal grating on the sides so traction is never an issue.

One other thing I like about tilt decks is they are much nicer for loading low stuff like cars. You dont have to worry about clearance like with ramps.

The only car hauler type trailer I will own will be a tilt deck. Mine is getting kinda rough and an debating if to fix it or upgrade. With the price of new ones I think I will put it in the shop this winter

I prefer a deckover trailer to a car hauler but for some they don’t need the extra width. For me I’m always hauling something wide or trying to load something in between the fender wells of a customers car hauler. I’d like to find a 16’ with tandem 7,000 lb axles. Would be handy at times for doing smaller loads but still have a capability to haul the skid steer or a 1,000 gallons of water.  We built a set of ramps for our deckover  gooseneck out of 6”x .25” channel iron with 2”x.25” angle iron cross bars . Not light to lug around but they sure ain’t bending anytime soon lol. We haul the skidded on that trailer so we wanted something that wasn’t going to bend. 

On 9/8/2020 at 8:52 AM, 88power said:

I've been following him on YouTube for a while, interesting look at California.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, CC_Ranger said:

Rainman,

Nice rig! No problems pulling with a half ton ?

That style has caught my eye, and not much more for a new one compared to a used aluminum trailer.

Looks like the deck height is lower than a standard flatbed. Is it power tilt or just hydraulic cushioning? What if you want to load several vehicles, say two or three Cub Cadets or quads on it, what keeps it tilted and the ramps on the ground with the first vehicle to the front?

The tilt deck we have at work is a Suretrac and we ordered it with a valve for the cylinder to hold it up for loading multiple units. You just have to think about putting the heaviest in the front so it will go down when you open the valve. Unloading is a different story. But, with an operator in each piece of equipment, moving backward at the same time, we have managed to get it to tilt down every time so far. One person could probably do it by moving back and forth, but we always have plenty of operators around.  For what I do around the farm, I prefer a deck over for the extra width. To load low vehicles, I put a couple of rough cut 2x8's on the ramps, which usually gives enough extra clearance.

My deck over tilt I posted pictures of earlier is a 15* load angle. Skid loaders, tractors, most pickups and SUV's are no problem.  All drive right on.  For lower clearance cars I set a pair of 6x6 blocks under the tail of the trailer making the load angle about 7*.  I then have a pair of 2x12's about 6' long that makes the approach about 3-4*.  Can load anything.

Just bought my new trailer this year. I upgraded to a 10k lb track skidsteer and needed to upgrade from a 12k trailer to a 14k. I had slide in Ramps with a 2' dovetail and went to fold up ramps. BOTH of them rattle equally. slide in ramps bounce around and are just as noisy so forget about that. It's a wash..... 

I always looked for a terrace or hill to back up to so I didnt have to carry those retched ramps around to the back. Also I've kicked them out of several occasions over the 20 year tender I had with my old trailer. My work had fold up ramps and after a while I learned to like them. My new trailer has 18" wide ramps with expanded metal and the ends are tapered back to theres not a big lip on the ground to climb. The setup I have now I can easily drive a zero turn mower or skidsteer. very nice. Also the old ramps had probably 10" between channel iron bars and cars would spin out and slide around. The next move is one would kick out. not cool 

Also I'm pulling it with the diesel truck shown, but I cant tell a lick of difference in foldup trailer pulling harder due to wind drag. FWIW

So you can see what I did. I found a watering hole for my pooch to grab a drink on the way home from Kansas. 

20200331_133014.jpg