I'm looking at upgrading my flatbed trailer I use to haul my tractors and haul various other materials. Current one is 16' and 7000 lbs rating with slide in ramps. I have had this trailer since 1994, I have added various upgrades, sideboards, tiedowns, stabilizer jacks, and extended the ramps. I have just finished refurbishing the trailer with new paint, all new wiring, etc.

I have been looking at upgrading to a longer trailer rated at 10,000 lbs and preferably aluminum.

I have found a used 18' 10k aluminum with stand-up ramps. 

I'm looking for thoughts or experiences with slide in versus stand up ramps. What is better for equipment loading? Do the stand up ramps get in the way of loading other materials? I've used trailers with lay down ramps which do get in the way.

I'm pretty sold on the trailer, but have some reserves on the ramps. They could come off with one bolt to slide out the hinge pin, most likely a two person job, but the ramps are very light.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Something I've seen a lot of recently is the benefit of legs on the ramps. Mine is a 90s hudson 12k. It has stand up ramps with the legs. It keeps the trailer from getting wacky when loading heavy ite

ID look for a nice tiltdeck or hydraulic tilt if it was me, full flat deck and no ramps to handle. My next trailer will be such.

Ramps are overrated.  26' total length.  22' tilt, 4' stationary.  12k winch.  Only regret is it's only a pair of 7k axles.  Next will be tandem duals with hydraulic tail.

Posted Images

love my stand up ramps, i had slide ins before but they got tweeked a lil and didnt slide in/out very well, flip ups much heavier - i dont notice any more drag with them either. 

i take mine off now and again but not very often, had to take them off a couple times so a long bed truck cuold hand out over end of trailer after getting loaded, just put ramps in back of truck being hauled - i usually have someone with me when doing this stuff and my wife was with me last time and she helped so no big deal - wont go back to slide ins personally - its your money do as you please 

Most stand up ramps will be heavier duty than the slide outs, slide outs are handled by hand

and some will have knees to support rear of trailer

If you don't haul hanging over the back end then they are not in the way, If you need to back up to a dock etc they can be in the way.......

Stand ups are a safety anti roll off for equipment by design........

I’ve got a 20’ tandem 7,000 lb axles with heavy beaver tails, they have a heavy brace built in, I don’t care for it that much, have the beavertails off always if I don’t need them, they are a lot for weight at the worst place on a trailer, had one bracket break once also while driving

I have entertained converting it to a tilt deck but it would be a bit of work to do, thought of putting a live roll on it also, would need to hang with Finney for a week for motivation...lol

I rented a trailer with stand-up ramps once....

After the first hundred miles I took them off and strapped them on the deck...

Chevy 1/2 ton with a 5.3 gasser picked up 2.5 miles per gallon, FWIW.

Mike

I've had both slide in and stand up. I like the stand up better and if needed(as said before) can take them off if you need to. They are built heavier and when loading tractor's or truck's no worry about them slideing out from under you. On my truck's that i pull with I haven't seen any or very little diff. on my mileage.

14 minutes ago, mikem said:

I rented a trailer with stand-up ramps once....

After the first hundred miles I took them off and strapped them on the deck...

Chevy 1/2 ton with a 5.3 gasser picked up 2.5 miles per gallon, FWIW.

Mike

well its always windy in SD that doesnt count LOL 

My last trailer was a 14,000 # 30 ft deckover with stand up ramps. It had a beavertail so the ramps could be laid over all the way to make 30 ft of flat deck. Depending on the load distribution I could move equipment foward, drop ramps all the way over and then drive to wherever the load rode best. when I got rid of the F-20 didn't need the deckover. My new trailer is a 14,000# but with a lower deck with 83 inches between the fenders. It has the slide out ramps. You have to be careful with the slide outs because if you aren't lined up perfect the ramps can flip. Don't ask how I know. Looking for a way to secure ramps to keep from flipping when loading as I am typing this. Other than the ramps slipping I like handling the slide outs better. At 70 with a bad back, Bad legs ,etc the standups were getting pretty heavy.

• Like 1

Standups here for a round bale back stop, they will lay flat on the beaver tail in case I need the whole trailer for tractors of whatever else. I have a loading dock for those times but they are rare. Trailer is a 27 +5, 32 ft total, 102 wide, 24000 LB. On my previous trailer, when the ramps laid on the beaver tail due to design you could not drive over them. Could not imagine having to fight with slide ins as I would have them warped, mine have a lot of support when in loading position. But your situation is much different than mine.

• Like 1

ID look for a nice tiltdeck or hydraulic tilt if it was me, full flat deck and no ramps to handle.

My next trailer will be such.

• Like 4

I guess it all depends on what you anticipate using it for, the ramps I think are a much better loading system other than the angle can be too steep for low clearance stuff, with the leg on the ramp it supports the load rather than your trailer and hitch, seen some stuff lift the rear tires of the tow vehicle unsupported. My ramps are really heavy steel and I can remove and install myself but it is not a 30 second job, if the ramps are aluminum it should be easier other than you may need some lube as it can gall, oxidize and not slide as well.

There is a reason they sell so many styles of trailer, I have a smaller well built utility trailer with ramps that works nice but I wouldn’t want to load really heavy stuff with them.

• Like 1

I’m not an aluminum trailer fan, but if you are sold you have your reasons, my flip up ramps are a favorite feature, always there easy to see corners when backing in and they support the tail when loading with their foot especially important with an aluminum trailer. Find you a a good aluminum welder if you plan to tow on rough roads, you will need one. 

Ramps do nothing but rattle all the time. Get a tilt bed trailer. Bought a 18 & 4 Impliment tilt deck 14K gvw trailer 2 years ago. Love it 

• Like 3

I have tilt-up and have never used slide-in so can't speak to them.

A friend though, has tilt-ups with spring assist and they move pretty easy. They don't rattle as much either I guess because of the spring tension.

I kind of agree with everything said.  I have a 12k deck over  with standup ramps and a convertible tail.  The loading height for equipment can be scary.  The ramps on mine are spring assist and built so heavy they can hold about anything.  My trailer is getting tired and needs some work.  I am not sure what direction I want to go.

PJ trailers makes one they call monster ramp. Full width of trailer,can be fastened straight up or laid down for flat deck. All you have to do is poke a button. 

stand up over slide ins any day only thing about stand ups that will give you trouble is if your hauling something long that the trailer like a flat bed truck the ramps get in the way. I'd buy a tilt deck if it was me even the non hydro ones have a system on them now that keeps them from smacking down when you drive up on them and i don't like a aluminum trailer or bed fan they don't take the abuse like a steel one and if i was going to by a deck over i'd be a gooseneck hitch just my 2 cents

• Like 1

I have a 14K , 24' gooseneck with a flip up beavertail. It came with slide in ramps, which I used for about 10 years. It was starting to hurt my back putting them in and out so when I found a used set of stand up ramps, I got them and made a mount with a piece of pipe.  I used a solid bar for holding them up and drilled 3 holes in it. One for ramp straight up, and the other 2 for laying it back 2 more positions. I use them for a backstop when hauling 10 round bales and out of 3 positions I can find one that is snug with the bales. It is so much easier on my back lifting them, the slide in's aren't bouncing around under the trailer and I don't have to worry about them sliding around when loading.  If I had known how much better they were, I would have converted it years before.

Ramps are overrated.  26' total length.  22' tilt, 4' stationary.  12k winch.  Only regret is it's only a pair of 7k axles.  Next will be tandem duals with hydraulic tail.

IMG_20200524_211320116.jpg

IMG_20200524_213237785.jpg

IMG_20200502_140553608_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200327_192931101_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, caseySD said:

IMG_20200524_211320116.jpg

IMG_20200524_213237785.jpg

IMG_20200502_140553608_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200327_192931101_HDR.jpg

HEY! WHERE YOU BEEN!?

2 minutes ago, caseySD said:

In a dark corner.

Clearly! Good to hear from you!

For a deckover trailer like mine without a dove tail I've never seen stand up ramps.  I've hauled up to a 1486 on mine.  I usually find a road ditch or something to back into so usually the slide I  ramps don't have much slope.  Big trailer like a 24' is nice if I need to retrieve a dead car I can take the M along and pull the car onto the trailer so I don't have to buy a high priced winch.

^^^ Ye wench on mine is a badlands from horrible freight.  $199 super coupon.  Has worked just fine for me.  When the time comes that I can afford a tandem dual hydraulic tail I'll splurge on a $1500 Warn.