Jump to content

5088 Puller project photos.


Recommended Posts

840919051_BUZA70451.thumb.JPG.6b7db63cf57edd654a0d832aa205e3f3.JPGSlowly making progress on the pull toy.  Steering rack is mounted, need to find some coilovers next    I cut down the knees of a stock wide front, cut the center tube out and made a 1/8" wall center tube.   I lathed new hubs out of billet for the 5X5 wheels.  Rack and pinion is a Mustang II style from Flaming river that is narrowed to fit.  I have a Prius 12v power steering unit that will be up at the platform.  MAYBE next year it will make a pass (not gonna hold my breath) or soon there after. 

IMG_2664[1].JPG

WKQZ0004[1].JPG

BCAF0724[1].JPG

  • Like 19
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t imagine the amount of work that goes into one of those. Looks very nice Gonzo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped counting hours 2 years ago.   I have been working on some other projects too.  The 55 chevy project is a friends.   I put the engine together some time ago and is just now going into the car. 

 

 

 

IMG_2342[1].JPG

IMG_2660[1].JPG

RTJLE6378[1].JPG

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good Bob , are you planning on air bags too ? There really nice setup , the guy in Mondovi WI builds them along with the cages , frame connectors . When you finish up your drawbar build shims for under and over the drawbar , it’s way easier than the bolts /threaded rod . Let me know if you want pictures of how I did mine .

Danny 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, acem said:

Nice looking puller and truck!

When building a 5x88 puller do you use the sentry or do something else?

Thx-Ace 

The driveline is all 06 series tractor.   The sheet metal is from a 88 series. We (pullers) have learned what driveline 06-86 series is the toughest and easiest to modify for ratios. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Looking good Bob , are you planning on air bags too ? There really nice setup , the guy in Mondovi WI builds them along with the cages , frame connectors . When you finish up your drawbar build shims for under and over the drawbar , it’s way easier than the bolts /threaded rod . Let me know if you want pictures of how I did mine .

Danny 

I had settled on a coilover spring setup, But have not bought them yet.   I need to look at bags and cost. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jackstands are ones I made to work on IH  differentials. The bases are brake discs from a JD 4430. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2020 at 9:11 PM, gonzo 1066 said:

I stopped counting hours 2 years ago.   I have been working on some other projects too.  The 55 chevy project is a friends.   I put the engine together some time ago and is just now going into the car. 

 

 

 

 

IMG_2660[1].JPG

 

427? 454?  Beautiful engine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dasnake said:

427? 454?  Beautiful engine.

454 Stock stroke forged crank  .030 overbore.  Good rods and blower lower compression pistons, Patriot oval port heads with some port work done O-ringed the block with Clark copper head gaskets..Comp blower cam with full roller assembly.    MSD ignition.   Dyer blower with dual 750 hollys .    The blower is about a 8% underdrive right now.   I suppose it would be in the 550-600 hp range.  

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, twood1954 said:

Beautiful workmanship.  Can't wait to see it go down the track.

Thanks for the kind words.  I know that my fabrication skills are maybe average at best, I still enjoy building my vision.  Most of the engineering is done on cardboard with a sharpie and razor knife, and them LOTS of scrapped metal before I make an acceptable part.   One of my goals with the tractor is to haul it to the midwest sometime and get my butt kicked by the big boys.    Before that I have to figure out how to build fiberglass fenders and dash.    I still have to find a good intake water system, and learn how to snout drive the oil, fuel and water pumps. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gonzo 1066 said:

One of my goals with the tractor is to haul it to the midwest sometime and get my butt kicked by the big boys. 

Your more than welcome to stay at my place if you ever get to Minnesota with it!!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

Your more than welcome to stay at my place if you ever get to Minnesota with it!!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

That would be fantastic!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to hijack your handiwork but in the vein of puller projects..... this is my new ride I’m building.  

DC8B4ABD-4AAF-495D-9A6D-454618CD1A1B.png

762858B8-053C-4B47-9555-97DFCB39F7F1.png

BEBE8C2B-F60A-449D-9F03-A5ED73AC04E7.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is how I did my hitch on my cast tractor.  And the bolts make adjustments very easy    Really not sure about the “shims” he’s talking about make it easier.  This is cake. Make a quick adjustment at the scale and away ya go 

075CC8AF-E65C-4B07-B459-96FAD9014A18.jpeg

525B5689-1872-46D2-90F7-911F7A95EB82.jpeg

715AA085-A1CF-4162-ACF8-E7C70B1DAC0A.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 1066 carcass that I would love to make a puller.   But sadly lack of time.    O yea and I spend all my money on the other tractors lol. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gonzo 1066 said:

Thanks for the kind words.  I know that my fabrication skills are maybe average at best, I still enjoy building my vision.  Most of the engineering is done on cardboard with a sharpie and razor knife, and them LOTS of scrapped metal before I make an acceptable part.   One of my goals with the tractor is to haul it to the midwest sometime and get my butt kicked by the big boys.    Before that I have to figure out how to build fiberglass fenders and dash.    I still have to find a good intake water system, and learn how to snout drive the oil, fuel and water pumps. 

 Simpson makes the water system ................ makes it fool proof and completely simple   I've run his stuff on my diesels   Front drive stuff ....... again pretty simple 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you move your lift pump to the injection pump drive? or are you switching it to a snout drive?   Who builds the log manifold for the fuel injection pump?    Threaded fuel injectors?   1 1/2" tubing on the new component tractor frame?   

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2020 at 6:13 PM, gonzo 1066 said:

840919051_BUZA70451.thumb.JPG.6b7db63cf57edd654a0d832aa205e3f3.JPGSlowly making progress on the pull toy.  Steering rack is mounted, need to find some coilovers next    I cut down the knees of a stock wide front, cut the center tube out and made a 1/8" wall center tube.   I lathed new hubs out of billet for the 5X5 wheels.  Rack and pinion is a Mustang II style from Flaming river that is narrowed to fit.  I have a Prius 12v power steering unit that will be up at the platform.  MAYBE next year it will make a pass (not gonna hold my breath) or soon there after. 

IMG_2664[1].JPG

WKQZ0004[1].JPG

BCAF0724[1].JPG

It's not the destination. It's the journey. I love seeing your fab skills. Thanks for sharing!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes and I have a stack of billet mounting plates that will put a tuthill pump driven of the front side of injection pump.  I love this setup over ANY version of an electric.  Number 1 reason ..... it matches fuel delivery with speed of engine.  Faster engine turns faster pump turns.  Electric...... you get what it has no mater what.  High volume and pressures can lead to idle issues and barrels n plungers stuck.  Yes new light super component is made of 1 1/2” tubing   I made that fuel log actually.   For some that are in familiar. This is one of the best ways to do this.  Put your 3 way shut off valve below the pump and you have one line up to dual feed the pump.  I put the pressure gauge on just so I can look at it when priming or cranking.  Yes this system primes with pulling the pump back (that’s part of why hoses make this handy) put a drill with a mating drive on it and spin it up.  It will completely fill the system quick

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...