Farmall gray?

Red Collector

I am doing more of a "refresh" than "restore" of my LA engine (a 1935 model), and wondered if anyone had any good suggestions for a close match for the old farmall gray in a rattle can? I picked up Rust-Oleum "dark gray" and "charcoal gray", but the old paint on the engine almost seems to have a blue-ish tint to it.

Searched for an answer here a bit, and seemed to come up with good answers for actual paint codes, but I'm looking for just a quick rattle can job on this one.

Thanks for any help...

My local napa can order me rattle cans of any color.. for a cost, alternative 2 is to get an HVLP kit from TSC, not what I would want to paint my Bugatti wit, but close enough for govt work, and use automotive paint, you will get a nicer job and be set up for the next little project. You can have them mix up SkyBlue Pink if it’s what you want, no need to be tied to whatever rustolium likes you to have

My PPG paint supplier mixed that grey for a friend of mine that restored a 10-20 , I could get that code if you need it , just send me a pm .

Danny 

The reason so much equipment was painted grey was there was tons of battleship grey paint after ww1 and it was sold cheap to companies for equipment, after it started to run out then all the other colors slowly started showing up, I used military paint on my 1917 mogul 1hp and the paint matched almost perfect to the paint chips that were still on the engine20200531_205608.thumb.jpg.2b9a99a3a527995598e94c3c8d58539f.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Re- visiting an earlier post here... as I said before I was just looking to do a quick refresh on my LA engine. Nothing fancy, but it sure looks better than it did, and is good enough for me. Thanks for the ideas on the gray, in the end, I just went with the Rust- Oleum dark gray and 2150 red I had on hand. As you can see, I still need to make a fuel line, and I am planning to buy a more correct muffler. Thought I'd share a couple photos of my modest rattle can job...

20200920_174753.jpg

20200920_174737.jpg

• Like 4