Remember"speedway" motorcycle racing?

Used to watch it on ABC's Wide World of Sports on Saturdays I think.

The had the craziest wrecks, them bikes were possessed 🤪

gifs_04.gif.aa1247dcf7375e58ab72cc113d086362.gif

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I flagged races years ago, loved the action, nothing like watching that steel shoe shower sparks, I think the dead man didn't have a wired shutoff.

• Like 1

Speedway or flat track racing reminds me of ICE racing, long tungsten carbide spikes screwed into the tires for traction.  I found out there was ice racing in winter not far from where I went to college. Sophomore year when I finally had my car at school I'd go and watch on Sunday mornings. The track turned into snow after several heats. There was a 12 yr old kid, think he rode a 2-stroke Honda Elsinor 125, both feet on the pegs, he just leaned the bike over and the rear of the bike kicked out a bit, tossed up a small rooster tail of snow in the corners as he flew around the track. All the others drug their inside foot, slipped and gripped, the rooster tail for them varied from none to 6-8 feet tall, and they were very slow in comparison.

Ice racing is very popular in Europe, think it's MAV TV televised it in winter. Their bikes are very much like Speedway bikes except for the spiked tires.

• Like 2

No kill switch !

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

No kill switch !

And no brakes either. IIRC

Had to kick the back end out to slow down for corners

That bike is possessed, gave the fans their excitement and monies worth albeit possibly some soiled undergarments, old drag race advertising we will sell you a ticket for the whole seat but you will only need the edge, be there unless you are in jail if you are then break out...

Couple buddies years ago went to see sprint car racing and parked the pickup off turn 2 so they could sit in the box in lawn chairs and enjoy some beverages, car goes off end of track at speed and starts tumbling straight for them one jumps over the side of the box while the other stays frozen, last second part of car hooks the ground and redirects just past, the one laughing at the other...but for a split second...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:
2 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

reminds me of ICE racing, long tungsten carbide spikes screwed into the tires for traction.  

Surprised more people didn't get shredded. That was an extreme sport for sure!

39 minutes ago, acem said:

I forget about that. Do they still race?

Good question. I have never seen a live race, only on the boob tube. It's been a long time though

Took a bike trip to Buffalo in early 80s to watch the flat-trackers.

7 bikes all with our wives.

IIRC, they were all 500 cc HD single lungers but one Honda and guess what.

The Honda cleaned house till he crashed in the feature when a HD rearended him in a turn.

• Like 1

We were just talki g the other night about ABCs Wide World of Sports. I loved watching it when it was on.

The agony of defeat....that poor skier crashed every week at the beginning of the show. Youda thunk he would get better eventually....but nope...🤕

• Haha 3
On 9/4/2020 at 10:01 AM, new guy said:

We were just talki g the other night about ABCs Wide World of Sports. I loved watching it when it was on.

The agony of defeat....that poor skier crashed every week at the beginning of the show. Youda thunk he would get better eventually....but nope...🤕

• Like 1

They still race speedway in California every week at California Speedway. Wednesday Nights - Industry Racing - The Grand, City of Industry, CA. Friday Nights - Auburn - Fast Fridays - Gold Country Fairgrounds, Auburn, CA. Saturday Nights - Costa Mesa - Costa Mesa Speedway Inc. - Orange County Fairgrounds, Costa Mesa, CA. Monthly Events - Perris Raceway - Perris, CA.

Using lightweight, single-gear bikes built solely for this type of competition, racers ... In the United States, most speedway activity is in California, where the sport ... Internationally, speedway is one of the most popular forms of motorsport racing.
I have watched the races about 5 years ago.
  • Thanks 1

Indian’s(well Polaris) back now. I guess they’ve done well.

My favorite part of the Wide world of Sports intro was Charlie Lowry bulldogging in the mud at Cheyenne 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, sandhiller said:

And no brakes either. IIRC

Had to kick the back end out to slow down for corners

A story about anything. 

Young Sailor attached to my ship (he was actually  an OS 2 that worked in CIC) was a avid flat track motor racer. He ordered all the parts and assembled a flat track Yamaha powered bike in CIC on a USN Warship during a tour to Vietnam in 68.  Everyone knew about his bike-build from the Capt on down. (on a ship in a war zone the Capt spends most of his time in CIC where the potential action is)  He did his first startup in the helicopter hanger bay when we came back to the States.  He ran at ASCOT in the Los Angeles area.  Yea, no brakes and no gears to speak of either.  I don't believe he was seriously injured in the many crashes, just scrapes and bruises.   At the time I thought he was a little "loose", do do something that risky!

• Like 1