Only one I’ve ever seen

In early fall 2016 we caught a picture of a white looking raccoon on a trail cam on my Grandpas ground. I spent a lot of time several years ago coon hunting so I found that pic to be just as cool as any deer picture. 

CB7BFFFD-B4F3-41DE-9EE1-075BC47B9AE4.jpeg

Fast forward two years to some time in late October 2018. I met up with a guy I work with to car pool to work about 5:00 one morning and he said I saw the strangest thing on my way home last night. Looked like a white coon near your Grandpa’s place. I lit up at the thought of that coon. I made a plan that day that I would try to trap that coon and get it mounted. I’ve got a couple deer heads on the wall but am not the type to get one of every critter put on the wall. I waited until the weather got cool and fur should be prime. Set traps on Thanksgiving day 2018.  I worked on the following day (Black Friday) and got home with just enough light to check my traps. Ran over there on my motorcycle and found my coon in one of the traps I had set. Well, fast forward to this week and I got the call that he was done. 

16381B80-5A05-41D4-8FCC-73EFB9B6D5E7.jpeg

Final product. It’s the only one I’ve ever seen. Brown mask, brown nose, brown tail rings. Most of his hairs have a cinnamon colored tip to them.  Taxidermist said he had never seen one so pretty.  The little guy loves it and wanted it hung in his room 😊

52A3C6E4-D25F-4B58-875E-250425520902.jpeg

8D9A7D1F-4167-4253-9806-270030F43386.jpeg

11F55799-EB7F-41BB-9920-5BD0AC79320E.jpeg

• Like 15

Never saw a whit coon but several years ago we had an albino skunk in the woods. We saw him nearly everyday that summer but not since. 
Jerry

That’s pretty cool, if I gets a white one I’ll send it to u so u can Have a pair. 

• Like 1

That's nest. They are very destructive at times around here , some years worse than others

1 hour ago, High Cotton said:

He is pretty!! Looks a lot like a miniature red fox????  Just think how many just like him he could have given you if he was still kicking. The woods could have been full of them.

I’ve never seen another one around there or anywhere else and have killed hundreds of raccoons for fur $$ and nuisance around the farm.  He was an adult male, at least 3 I would say based on the 2016 pic looking like adult size.  I’ve seen almost black ones and light gray as @new guy mentioned but never one like this. 

That is really cool!! Is there an EnCon or Cooperative Extension person you could ask about him? I'd be dying to know more!

57 minutes ago, KWRB said:

That is really cool!! Is there an EnCon or Cooperative Extension person you could ask about him? I'd be dying to know more!

I’ve never known extension people to have much info on critters?  Not familiar with EnCon?  I will probably be teaching some of the upcoming hunter safety course and may ask the Conservation officer about it if I get a chance. The albino version of some game animals are protected in Illinois like deer but if the animal has any color on it at all it is fair game. This is no albino by far but is definitely different. The taxidermist has had other light colored ones but they were normally scrawny or patchy colored. This one wasn’t real big but was a healthy, mature animal. 

Sorry. Environmental conservation. Here we call them DEC (Dept. of Environmental Conservation). I know some states (like MI) call them DNR...

Anyway, NYDEC is pretty great, and they even have a real good magazine called Conservationist that is high quality and super cheap to subscribe to. They have a Letters section in there where you'd be able to ask, and guaranteed, they'd be able to tell you all about it.

• Like 1

Done alot of coon hunting years ago for the fur. Never seen one like that before. Sure looks nice.

There was one a lot like that killed at my grandads place probably 50 years ago.      It’s mounted and sets over the bar at Mike linnings restaurant in Louisville.   I seen it I seen it about a year ago 

• 3 weeks later...

Wow beautiful mount todd! Hes so pretty(as far a coon go) for lack of a better term. Looks like you have a unique gene in your area. 

• Thanks 1