Jump to content

Crooked car dealers


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

 I see the local parts shops delivering aftermarket parts to the big dealerships here every day. My neighbor (who I help out, but would not do automotive work for)  has two newer Volvos. Brake job on one, $2100 at dealer. Brake  job on the second one just a month or so later, I believe it was also about $2100. Looking through the rims you could clearly  see that the first Volvo had original Volvo rotors but back on it. They had a part number or maybe it was a logo stamped in them, nice coating, looked same as the originals.  The second one, they were bare/uncoated/elcheapo looking grade.....from a parts store(you know...the $50 kind).  Her cost  was the same.  Shafted.

That's awful, I'd go back and have some unpleasant words over that. Your right, your neighbor got screwed on that. And it's a shame that the bad ones give the honest techs a bad name. Where I work we do get aftermarket deliveries but they are  for the used cars that are from different manufactures that we obviously don't stock. All of the used cars that get put on the lot that are from our brand get our oe parts. I would say maybe that's what your seeing but apparently not, sounds like that Volvo dealer really is a stealership. I guess we are fortunate that we have a good parts department and get parts delivery from the warehouse 6 says a week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The lemon law post got me thinking about my mother in laws run in with the local dodge dealer. Let me start out by saying she is one of the sweetest ladies i have ever met, everyone bad mouths there M

I quit the CaseIH dealer because of the crap they pulled.  I fully intended to end my career working on Red tractors but the green dealer down the road offered me a job and I took it.   When I told th

I suspect the unscrupulous practices in some shops, not only new car dealers, comes from their tech and service writer/manager`s payment structures. 

7 hours ago, stronger800 said:

 I see the local parts shops delivering aftermarket parts to the big dealerships here every day. My neighbor (who I help out, but would not do automotive work for)  has two newer Volvos. Brake job on one, $2100 at dealer. Brake  job on the second one just a month or so later, I believe it was also about $2100. Looking through the rims you could clearly  see that the first Volvo had original Volvo rotors but back on it. They had a part number or maybe it was a logo stamped in them, nice coating, looked same as the originals.  The second one, they were bare/uncoated/elcheapo looking grade.....from a parts store(you know...the $50 kind).  Her cost  was the same.  Shafted.

"Zactly! My FIL has a retirement job delivering parts. He make just as many deliveries to the dealerships as the independents.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of a Ford dealer my parents bought a couple cars from and I bought a 1989 F250 351 gas brand new. Got a decent deal, $15,800 I believe was the cost with ladder rack. Regular cab, 5 speed and XLT Lariat.   A year later I brought it in for inspection, told me $900.00 to pass! Rear axle seals leaking, rear brakes oil soaked and shot. Soon after right front brake suddenly locked up and got severely over heated, rotor all warped and pitted, pads destroyed. Thought warranty would take care of it, no! They said nothing like that is covered, its a "wearing item". Fast forward a year and I'm living in Maine working for a timber framer. Truck running poorly, making muffled popping sound in the exhaust and a "sucking" sound under the hood. Also a slight smell of antifreeze. Took it to Local Ford place, they call later in the day. Intake manifold gasket and one head gasket needed, and not to worry as it was all covered under warranty! They also explained that my previous brake problem was a recall item and did all the paper work for me to be reimbursed.

Soon after I found out from my parents that the dealer I bought the truck from had been suddenly closed down, apparently for ignoring warranty and recalls and ……..unnecessary repairs! Who would have thought those nice folks at your friendly Ford dealer would do such a thing...…. 😵

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen people get brake parts covered under new 3/36 warranty.  Caliper or axle seal goes bad, takes out that rotor and a set of pads. Maybe you even get the matching rotor.   Yet......IMO, most dealers just say "Brake. Wear item.Pay us".  With no effort to warranty at all.   I  had a Complete exhaust system replaced under warranty on a three year old gas  truck once.  Complete. It was a $2400 or $2700 job (ouch).  Pin hole in flex coupler built into cat.  Cat clamped to muffler and y pipe sooooo hard from factory that it would never come off without damaging the other components. Dealer where I bought the truck says no, can't warranty it for that tiny leak, not unless it gets bad enough to throw a 02'sensor code or something. I get mad. Drive to random other dealer right down the road.......they order up a Complete system, no questions asked.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

My local Ford store where we bought the Wife's Edge has a "The Works" service deal, engine oil & filter, test the battery, rotate and inspect tires and brakes. Refill the windshield washers, check under hood oil levels on PS, brake fluid,  and every time the service writer secretary brings me a dirty air filter and recommends it be changed, " Yep, I'll replace that myself". Last time they wanted to replace the passenger compartment air filter, from what I've read it's a terrible thing to replace. I sold a 12 year old Volvo with 145,000 miles with the factory installed cabin air filter still in it. I think that Volvo is now in a salvage yard, been thru at least 3 other owners since I sold it. Bet the same cabin filter still in it.

Ohhhh last visit for oil change on wife's car, it's all wheel drive, and frt diff has a weeping oil seal on one axle. $850 repair. With the amount of stuff to be removed that's probably a fair price, but I think putting some 85W-140 gear oil will probably slow and maybe stop the leak, it did on our 2003 Mercury Mountaineer AWD, rear diff axle seal leaked pretty bad till I removed rear cover, drained it and replaced with all 85W-140 as per FMC TSB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

My local Ford store where we bought the Wife's Edge has a "The Works" service deal, engine oil & filter, test the battery, rotate and inspect tires and brakes. Refill the windshield washers, check under hood oil levels on PS, brake fluid,  and every time the service writer secretary brings me a dirty air filter and recommends it be changed, " Yep, I'll replace that myself". Last time they wanted to replace the passenger compartment air filter, from what I've read it's a terrible thing to replace. I sold a 12 year old Volvo with 145,000 miles with the factory installed cabin air filter still in it. I think that Volvo is now in a salvage yard, been thru at least 3 other owners since I sold it. Bet the same cabin filter still in it.

Ohhhh last visit for oil change on wife's car, it's all wheel drive, and frt diff has a weeping oil seal on one axle. $850 repair. With the amount of stuff to be removed that's probably a fair price, but I think putting some 85W-140 gear oil will probably slow and maybe stop the leak, it did on our 2003 Mercury Mountaineer AWD, rear diff axle seal leaked pretty bad till I removed rear cover, drained it and replaced with all 85W-140 as per FMC TSB.

Wouldn’t surprise me that the diff calls for 50W synthetic like most of the big truck trans do now. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I took an Oldsmobile into GM dealer for a 15 minute recall.

An hour later I went to the shop and asked why a 15 minute job was taking an hour.

The tech said he had to do an inspection and that he was finished.

I went to the office and the guy had a printed off sheet of all the cars sins.

It came to about $1,500.00 and asked when a good time would be to get it in and fixed?

I asked if the sheet was mine and he said it was.

I folded it up, put it in my pocket and said I would look into these matters myself.

He said, "Oh, you are one of those."

Same dealership states they sell the lowest price tires in the area.

So I went out and found they were cheaper.

But the mounting and balancing was off the chart expensive and that made them the highest place in town.

Buyer beware?

 

PS: There are good, reputable mechanics and shops that can be trusted.

These shops take care of many older people and those that have nothing in their brain about mechanics.

The good ones are out there, you just have to find them.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Those “Service Awards” are a joke, IMO.

They probably get them, as a reward, for selling a lot of un needed parts to people that don’t know better. But again, just my opinion. 

Just like vtfireman85 ran into with the two day old new tires showing wear, my father in-law is a older guy, pretty trusting, loyal to his local dealerships, buys new every 3-5 years, only drives 6-8k a year, at 45 mph,.....ie,  couldn’t wear a truck out if he tried.  He pays the dealer to do oil changes and everything (just because His father always did, back in the day, to support the local dealer).  Anyhow, he  took his 3 yr old truck with <20k  on it in, and they say it needs brake pads, both ends, and two rotors.  No biggie. He knows things rust just from setting (in his nice garage) so he doesn’t question it and he pays them to perform the repair. 3000 miles later, he takes it back in for another oil change, ahead of schedule like always, and the service guy comes out and tells him that it needs another brake job, for  another $800. He says how is that possible I just had you guys put all new brakes on it last time it was here, and it’s only been 3000 miles.    Get this, the excuse that they came up with was that the mechanic was confused as he was working on two identical two-tone crew cab trucks at the same time and missed took his for the other guys truck actually need it brakes. Yeah, that or they were just  trying to screw him for $800, Knowing that he was an older guy, trusting, and generally would not question it.

This is because they charged him for the brake job the first time, just "forgot" to do the work. Ironically, they are still the old ones, which likely have at least 3/4 of their usable life left. Sadly, brake jobs seem to be the place many perform the scams. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fleet oil changes ,Nobody  ever looks At the dip stick or filter they don’t know where they are ? Easy money ! 
An enigineer aT the Cleveland tv channel took over the fleet. Told me ,as soon as he was responsible for the fleet . The first time he got the camera truck From service back he caught them . He went back and asked why ? and how long you been doing this ? They apologize ?🤷‍♂️👀

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess i misspoke when i called them a local car dealer and i need to clear that up. Yes the dealership is local but the owners are not, there is only one dealer left around me that is locally owned , and he sells Toyota's. All of the rest have been bought out by big city, multi dealer coglomerate's who have no ties whatsoever to the community they serve.

Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO all car dealers are crooks, it just amounts to some getting a little too greedy!

We had  family friends who were associated with a major car dealer in this area, They would say, they are a business and if a deal is within the law it is acceptable! AND you only break the law if it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Injpumped said:

This is because they charged him for the brake job the first time, just "forgot" to do the work. Ironically, they are still the old ones, which likely have at least 3/4 of their usable life left. Sadly, brake jobs seem to be the place many perform the scams. 

My Sister called me once; said she was at a "Midas" type place for an oil change and they told her brakes on the front needed to be replaced. She said the service writer dewd says they are at 6mm and then showed her how "thin" 6mm was. She is not that stupid and immediately told them she would get a second opinion. When I told her that new pads are around 12mm she replied" I thought it was a scam!" Knowing her driving she easily had 15 maybe 20K miles left. They also like to show you your transmission fluid on a paper towel and tell you how dirty it is and it will be just $99.99 to change it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was at the Deere dealership as service manager, I was appalled at the prices the parts department was charging for lawnmower tires. The markup at the time was 40% for parts from Deere. I priced them from the local tire place and we could have marked them up 100% and still sold them to the customers for 1/2 what we had been. So, we would have made 60% more for the company and saved the customers %50. I was told, "no way", we have to buy from deere to keep our numbers up. One of the many, many reasons I only stayed at that job 2 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The lemon law post was mine. This thread is more exciting so I'll share what happened. We just got home.


Today was a thing to behold. In the end, math and physics win, and cool heads prevail. I saw immoral and unprofessional behavior today that utterly shocked me. And it was from a factory dealer, not some skeevy corner lot guy! Once that car is back in my mother's driveway, GM is going to have a long polite letter to read

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, pete23 said:

But is it worth the drive?       I'm thinking Milbank. 

I guess they're pretty fair for a small town dealership. Had a classic car collection auction in July. Now the whole dealership is advertised for sale. The GM and Ford dealerships are locally owned and locally managed too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to a Jiffy Lube only once and it cost more than what I was used to paying but I figured Jiffy Lube is advertised as quality. They showed me my air filter element was dirty with asphalt and should be replaced, and I let them replace it. Maybe it was, but the pickup was only two years old. So I wonder....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used those jiffy lube places before, but I always stand at the window of the waiting room and watch what they do like a hawk. I take my own oil and filters so I know what's being put in. I don't do it unless I'm jammed up for time and can't do it myself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2020 at 12:18 PM, vtfireman85 said:

Sounds like Subaru SOP, every oil change they recommend about 3k with of work. I took it in for its second oil change (12k miles) said “whatever it needs” and headed off to work. Came back to an 1100 dollar bill on a 10 month old 12 k mile car. I blew a gasket! In addition to an oil change they did front brakes, tire rotation and front end alignment! I asked why they rotated the tires? They said they were showing excessive wear on the front and it was required, I made him go out to the car with me where I asked him to show me, he couldn’t then I pointed out the little rubber molding marks  on the brand new tires, and showed him the receipt for their purchase and installation 2 days before... we re-negotiated as I was starting to get loud and there were a waiting room full of Subaru cool-aid drinkers waiting for their screwing. 

Wow that the worse ive ever heard

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to have tires rotated and balanced on one of the welding trucks. Pulled up and went in and told them what I want, they said give us the keys and we will take care of it. I said nope you don't drive my tucks I will pull it in. Well I pulled it in and watched. When they got the back tires off they started to take the rear drums off, I asked him what are you doing and he said he has to check the brakes. I told him nope you dont touch my brakes and he went and got the owner who tried to tell me they legally had to when they removed the wheels. Total BS

I had my air conditioner service one time and when I picked the truck up I had a smoked clutch so that is why I dont let anyone drive mine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sad this corruption and attitude runs this deep, criminal that they defend it

Link to post
Share on other sites

Free oil changes if you buy new here. You can bet it’s the cheapest bulk rate oil they can buy. And the brand changes with price. In your brand new engine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, exSW said:

Free oil changes if you buy new here. You can bet it’s the cheapest bulk rate oil they can buy. And the brand changes with price. In your brand new engine.

Not always. It depends on the dealership. The one where I work has a free oil change program and I actually just asked our parts manager and we use bulk mobil 1 synthetic. We are part of the manufactures oil program and they offer large discounts on mobil 1 synthetic due to the large buying power of our brand

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2020 at 11:03 AM, from H to 80 said:

I guess i misspoke when i called them a local car dealer and i need to clear that up. Yes the dealership is local but the owners are not, there is only one dealer left around me that is locally owned , and he sells Toyota's. All of the rest have been bought out by big city, multi dealer coglomerate's who have no ties whatsoever to the community they serve.

Sounds like GM🤬

After their bailout ALL the Chevrolet dealers had to build new dealerships and or modified their storefronts so they all look the same. How many millions of dollars did they fleece from Uncle Sam for doing this? Then we wonder why they are fleecing us? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 885 said:

Not always. It depends on the dealership. The one where I work has a free oil change program and I actually just asked our parts manager and we use bulk mobil 1 synthetic. We are part of the manufactures oil program and they offer large discounts on mobil 1 synthetic due to the large buying power of our brand

My personal experience with a Honda dealer. Owned by a large multi line dealer group. I know there are good dealers but as the stand alone franchises fall by the way it all becomes about money and what’s legal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...