Crooked car dealers

The lemon law post got me thinking about my mother in laws run in with the local dodge dealer. Let me start out by saying she is one of the sweetest ladies i have ever met, everyone bad mouths there MIL but i couldn't have a better one. She bought a new dodge charger in 2007, because they sit lower to the ground and have large doors making it easier for her to get in. She had been taking the car to the dealership for all of the routine maintenance with no problems that i know of. So several years back she takes it in for maintenance and a Missouri safety inspection , they tell her it needs 2200$ in work to pass , she called me almost in tears and i told her not to worry bring it by my shop and i would take care of it.

She brought the car by along with the inspection papers  ,according to them it needed new tires, new brakes and had emissions trouble, This car only had 30 some thousand miles on it. I drove it into NAPA and they plugged it in, not a code one came up ,so i grabbed a new set of pads took it home and pulled the left rear tire which like the rest had plenty of tread left , that was the brake they supposedly checked and failed, there was absolutely nothing wrong with any of the brakes and they are still on the car to this day.

How anyone with a conscience could do that to a 78 year old woman, i have no idea, but i am sure they won't soon forget the phone call they got from me. I set her up with a local guy, that  is fair and honest, he takes good care of her and will call me with what he finds in case i have time to fix it for her.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The lemon law post got me thinking about my mother in laws run in with the local dodge dealer. Let me start out by saying she is one of the sweetest ladies i have ever met, everyone bad mouths there M

I quit the CaseIH dealer because of the crap they pulled.  I fully intended to end my career working on Red tractors but the green dealer down the road offered me a job and I took it.   When I told th

I suspect the unscrupulous practices in some shops, not only new car dealers, comes from their tech and service writer/manager`s payment structures. 

33 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

The lemon law post got me thinking about my mother in laws run in with the local dodge dealer. Let me start out by saying she is one of the sweetest ladies i have ever met, everyone bad mouths there MIL but i couldn't have a better one. She bought a new dodge charger in 2007, because they sit lower to the ground and have large doors making it easier for her to get in. She had been taking the car to the dealership for all of the routine maintenance with no problems that i know of. So several years back she takes it in for maintenance and a Missouri safety inspection , they tell her it needs 2200$ in work to pass , she called me almost in tears and i told her not to worry bring it by my shop and i would take care of it.

She brought the car by along with the inspection papers  ,according to them it needed new tires, new brakes and had emissions trouble, This car only had 30 some thousand miles on it. I drove it into NAPA and they plugged it in, not a code one came up ,so i grabbed a new set of pads took it home and pulled the left rear tire which like the rest had plenty of tread left , that was the brake they supposedly checked and failed, there was absolutely nothing wrong with any of the brakes and they are still on the car to this day.

How anyone with a conscience could do that to a 78 year old woman, i have no idea, but i am sure they won't soon forget the phone call they got from me. I set her up with a local guy, that  is fair and honest, he takes good care of her and will call me with what he finds in case i have time to fix it for her.

Time to call better business bureau. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect the unscrupulous practices in some shops, not only new car dealers, comes from their tech and service writer/manager`s payment structures. 

• Like 4

Local dealer here was doing an audit and found a problem. Ford, GM and Chrysler dealer. They have a service manager for each brand, all earn a % of service and parts plus wages. Seems that the one manager was billing various Police Departments for service, repairs and maintenance that was never performed. Like I say the dealership itself caught the problem, they notified the MN state police and all departments who were falsely billed, immediately fire the manager and cooperated with state and federal investigators. 

Now if that service manager would do that to the cops what would he do to a little old lady?

Rick  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

Local dealer here was doing an audit and found a problem. Ford, GM and Chrysler dealer. They have a service manager for each brand, all earn a % of service and parts plus wages. Seems that the one manager was billing various Police Departments for service, repairs and maintenance that was never performed. Like I say the dealership itself caught the problem, they notified the MN state police and all departments who were falsely billed, immediately fire the manager and cooperated with state and federal investigators. 

Now if that service manager would do that to the cops what would he do to a little old lady?

Rick  

Criminals aren't always the brightest.

Dealership should not have such an incentive as it just encourages cheating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is the kind of bull$h!t you get when people are paid on commission. Too easily clouds their judgement! Intended to provide motivation, yet soon overtaken by greed!

• Like 2

Glad she had you to go to for help.

Hope the dealers ears are still ringing. 

2 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

because they sit lower to the ground and have large doors making it easier for her to get in.

easier to get in, have to try that one on my wife😄 

Did she get the "redeye" option on her Hellcat???😉😃

I quit the CaseIH dealer because of the crap they pulled.  I fully intended to end my career working on Red tractors but the green dealer down the road offered me a job and I took it.   When I told the manager of CaseIH dealer I was leaving he said that now he would be catching heooooooooo for six months because he fired me.  I told him, you're not firing me, I quit.  Don't like the way you run the bussiness but it is yours so you can do what ever you want. 

I took it for four years after my previous employer retired and sold dealership.  They set up an incentive plan.  I made more money that I ever did in my life and did nothing different than I ever did. It was all in their paper work.  They had hired a consultant of some sort from out of state to set up the program.  

I took a pay cut, worked on older green tractors most of the time whereas I had always worked on the newest  red ones, BUT, all the guys treated me great at green.  It was tough to do but it worked out .   Retired and then worked on red again as self employed for a few people I knew well on my own schedule.  Some times I didn't make much money but no one complained if we had a hour long coffee break . Charged them what I thought it was worth.   They often threw in a good bit extra. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

Sounds like Subaru SOP, every oil change they recommend about 3k with of work. I took it in for its second oil change (12k miles) said “whatever it needs” and headed off to work. Came back to an 1100 dollar bill on a 10 month old 12 k mile car. I blew a gasket! In addition to an oil change they did front brakes, tire rotation and front end alignment! I asked why they rotated the tires? They said they were showing excessive wear on the front and it was required, I made him go out to the car with me where I asked him to show me, he couldn’t then I pointed out the little rubber molding marks  on the brand new tires, and showed him the receipt for their purchase and installation 2 days before... we re-negotiated as I was starting to get loud and there were a waiting room full of Subaru cool-aid drinkers waiting for their screwing. 

• Like 3

Just helped a friend fix their car as a big chain dealer tried the same thing; gave them a $3200 quote to replace the driveshaft (just needed a $30 carrier bearing but quoted them $700 saying it needed a new driveshaft), control arm bushings, and to do a new pan and flush for the transmission since the transmission pan was rusted out (just had some surface paint flake). Also included the $500 charge for installing new door mechanisms since the power locks were sticking sometimes; fixed with some PB Blaster! Long story short I gave them a list and we ordered about $150 worth of parts to fix the $3200 worth of pretend issues.

4 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

How can people  lie,cheat and steal and sleep is beyond me.It's just some have no morals and what they tried to do is no different  then trying to rob and getting stopped by a Good Samaritan. 

It's not just car dealers. It's at any kind of shop really. Don't get me wrong, there is alot of great and honest places out there, but sadly it's the others that get heard about and give the rest a bad name. I seen too many times a repair with charges for new parts and it was the old wore out ones used. Or better yet get charged for a repair and it wasnt even taken apart nevermind fixed!

If You will allow me ,to say Sick um

6 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

If this occurred like you said and you have proof report to the local auto association, and the bbb, the age and sex of the person should not be a reason, you would be surprised at the ripoff problem with younger peeps also, this should be brought forward and they should have to explain what and why.

Ive had the exact opposite with dodge dealers and I think the parent company would be happy to hear and rectify this.

4 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Gee, my local Dodge dealership has 31 years of Five Star Service.

But is it worth the drive?       I'm thinking Milbank.  Tried there a couple times and right now I am getting in dire need of doing something. He offered me lK for my pickup on a over priced used Minivan about five years ago.   I would take that offer for it now. Seems he sells a pile of vehicles in this area. 

20 minutes ago, pete23 said:

But is it worth the drive?       I'm thinking Milbank.  Tried there a couple times and right now I am getting in dire need of doing something. He offered me lK for my pickup on a over priced used Minivan about five years ago.   I would take that offer for it now. Seems he sells a pile of vehicles in this area. 

That does happen? Seems some are so hot to get the keys to that new ride in their hands they take whatever trade they get offered. Myself I prefer to sell outright, but 1k and you still got 5 more years out of it, sounds like you got the better deal. 

Those “Service Awards” are a joke, IMO.

They probably get them, as a reward, for selling a lot of un needed parts to people that don’t know better. But again, just my opinion. 

Just like vtfireman85 ran into with the two day old new tires showing wear, my father in-law is a older guy, pretty trusting, loyal to his local dealerships, buys new every 3-5 years, only drives 6-8k a year, at 45 mph,.....ie,  couldn’t wear a truck out if he tried.  He pays the dealer to do oil changes and everything (just because His father always did, back in the day, to support the local dealer).  Anyhow, he  took his 3 yr old truck with <20k  on it in, and they say it needs brake pads, both ends, and two rotors.  No biggie. He knows things rust just from setting (in his nice garage) so he doesn’t question it and he pays them to perform the repair. 3000 miles later, he takes it back in for another oil change, ahead of schedule like always, and the service guy comes out and tells him that it needs another brake job, for  another $800. He says how is that possible I just had you guys put all new brakes on it last time it was here, and it’s only been 3000 miles.    Get this, the excuse that they came up with was that the mechanic was confused as he was working on two identical two-tone crew cab trucks at the same time and missed took his for the other guys truck actually need it brakes. Yeah, that or they were just  trying to screw him for $800, Knowing that he was an older guy, trusting, and generally would not question it.

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

I work in a car dealership and I see it every day. We unfortunately have a bad apple in our tech line up that likes to try to pull this crap. And unfortunately those kind of techs become the managers favorite guys because they "make the most money". Fortunately for our customers we have some good service advisors that buffer this crap from the customers. There are actually honest people in dealerships, but the commission based pay causes the bad apples to give us all a bad name. I tell people that if they have a problem as you describe that they need to go above the service managers head to the general manager. The service manager usually will give some lip service to calm you down but will do nothing to remedy the problem as their pay is based off how much the shop makes, everything will get swept under the rug. Usually bringing these practices to the gm's attention gets results. However just remember our parts costs are higher and the labor rate is higher than independent shops, so there is some sticker shock in the overall repair cost of legitimate repairs due to that. Also there is this to keep in mind with dealers using oe parts, let's use a heater knob for an example. sometimes the oe part is only available as part of an assembly like the whole heater control unit where the aftermarket companies like Dorman may make just the knob. So the dealer repair cost will be substantially higher than just buying the Dorman knob, and let's face it dealers don't like using aftermarket parts. I feel this is also misunderstood by customers as we are trying to rip them off, but our hands are tied in situations like this because the company doesn't want us using aftermarket stuff. 

I see the local parts shops delivering aftermarket parts to the big dealerships here every day. My neighbor (who I help out, but would not do automotive work for)  has two newer Volvos. Brake job on one, $2100 at dealer. Brake  job on the second one just a month or so later, I believe it was also about $2100. Looking through the rims you could clearly  see that the first Volvo had original Volvo rotors but back on it. They had a part number or maybe it was a logo stamped in them, nice coating, looked same as the originals.  The second one, they were bare/uncoated/elcheapo looking grade.....from a parts store(you know...the $50 kind).  Her cost  was the same.  Shafted.