Jump to content

Half ton Diesels - experience with the 3.0L Ram?


Mudfly
 Share

Recommended Posts

With my latest experience with my 8.1L, I’m considering upgrading as I will need a reliable truck for my new job.  I will be putting on a LOT of miles so thinking of going with a newer used half ton diesel.

I am going to go test drive a Ram ecodiesel with 50k on it.  Wondering if anyone has any experience positive or negative with this engine.  It will mostly be running empty highway miles.  Virtually no towing.  I will be keeping the 3/4 ton for pulling and any heavier jobs.
 

I will also go test drive some ford EcoBoosts as I had one of those as a work truck a few years ago (2013 to 2017) and thought they were pretty good.  Generally like the ford cabin layout better than Chev or GM.  Haven’t driven a Ram in a few years.

I haven’t seen any used Ford 3.0L yet, and I dont really want to buy new.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The bottom. Ends are weak from what I've seen when I worked at a ram dealership. A couple went in sub 30k for bottom end bearing issues. I believe they have egr and intake manifold issues. Replacing a turbo is a nightmare. Both ram diesel techs I worked with spoke very poorly of them. I would look at an f150 ecoboost before I looked at an eco diesel. The ecoboost has been out a while and they are pretty reliable. The Ford techs I know all say go with a 3.5 and forget about the smaller one. The 3.5 has been out a while and proven. They tow pretty well for a half ton, and I can attest to that with personal experience. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I test drove a Ram 3.0 a few years ago.  Impressive.  Quiet, snappy, and the truck had a very smooth ride with the rear coil springs.  It is my understanding that a number of Ram 3.0 diesels of that era had an "upgrade" recall to bring them into emissions compliance.  The EPA and FCA had a feud over this and the EPA won.  Fuel economy and performance suffered after the "upgrade".  That being said, I wouldn't be too scared about the 3.0 diesel...but would tend to lean towards a 2.7 Ecoboost Ford with diesel prices here in PA.

I have read that the new 3.0 Duramax inline-6 in the GM 1/2-tons is the cat's meow.  I want to drive one, but demand for trucks in this area is so strong that inventory is pretty tight.  I am hoping for a styling and interior refresh on the GM trucks.  Just not a fan of the new ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

I test drove a Ram 3.0 a few years ago.  Impressive.  Quiet, snappy, and the truck had a very smooth ride with the rear coil springs.  It is my understanding that a number of Ram 3.0 diesels of that era had an "upgrade" recall to bring them into emissions compliance.  The EPA and FCA had a feud over this and the EPA won.  Fuel economy and performance suffered after the "upgrade".  That being said, I wouldn't be too scared about the 3.0 diesel...but would tend to lean towards a 2.7 Ecoboost Ford with diesel prices here in PA.

I have read that the new 3.0 Duramax inline-6 in the GM 1/2-tons is the cat's meow.  I want to drive one, but demand for trucks in this area is so strong that inventory is pretty tight.  I am hoping for a styling and interior refresh on the GM trucks.  Just not a fan of the new ones.

My problem with GM crew cab trucks is the amount of legroom in the backseat.  Ford had that figured out 10 years ago.  I think Ram has it figured out now, not sure why GM wants to have the short back seat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got a bunch of the earlier eco diesels at work. They're nice enough trucks, lots of power for zipping around empty. As soon as you start backing up to a trailer it will drop to the ground lol. I think all of them have been to the dealer at least once for egr issues. Some many times. The ones that are getting miles put on are definetly better than the short trip ones. Short trips and def/dpf do not mix. Especially up here where there is more months below freezing and you gave to let stuff idle. We always have trouble in winter with a heater valve or some darn thing too. I forget exactly what happens but you get no heat in the cab. As decent of a truck as it is, I'll take the old Ford 6.0 over that ram any day. Says alot right there ? 

I thought the newer GM's had the back seat leg room figures out now? I havent seen a new 1/2 duramax but I imagine that would be a sweet rig

Does Nissan still have the Titan with the Cummins or did that not last?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am probably the last Ford supporter but I recommended a staff member rent a F150 eco boost as he went cross country to gather some of his fathers belongings, he was very impressed and got unbelievable fuel mileage and I mean unbelievable 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, db1486 said:

Got a bunch of the earlier eco diesels at work. They're nice enough trucks, lots of power for zipping around empty. As soon as you start backing up to a trailer it will drop to the ground lol. I think all of them have been to the dealer at least once for egr issues. Some many times. The ones that are getting miles put on are definetly better than the short trip ones. Short trips and def/dog do not mix. Especially up here where there is more months below freezing and you gave to let stuff idle. We always have trouble in winter with a heater valve or some darn thing too. I forget exactly what happens but you get no heat in the cab. As decent of a truck as it is, I'll take the old Ford 6.0 over that ram any day. Says alot right there ? 

I thought the newer GM's had the back seat leg room figures out now? I havent seen a new 1/2 duramax but I imagine that would be a sweet rig

Does Nissan still have the Titan with the Cummins or did that not last?

Was the heat issue on the ecodiesel from the 3 way coolant valve? If so it was an issue on the gas trucks too. 

The Nissan Cummins was dropped. It was targeted at a weird market segment something like a 5/8 ton. They suffered from the same things as all modern diesels, the epa crap killed the reliability. Short trips are terrible for the new diesel trucks. I know that they had some egr cooler issues and rotary turbine control valve failures. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

I am probably the last Ford supporter but I recommended a staff member rent a F150 eco boost as he went cross country to gather some of his fathers belongings, he was very impressed and got unbelievable fuel mileage and I mean unbelievable 

We took a 16? EcoBoost to the mountains last winter pulling a light sled trailer with 3 sleds. Got unbelievably poor fuel mileage lol. It didn't seem like it was bad till we totaled up the fills. It does have a huge tank so can go a long ways on a fill. Cost us almost $300 than it did with my duramax pulling a heavy trailer with 3 sleds. And I was pushing a bad head wind with the duramax from when we left home till we hit Calgary. 12 hours and the computer said 8 mpg, and I think we averaged 12 for the while trip. We were stopping about every 3 hours for fuel lol. But it was still cheaper than that Ford! ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 885 said:

Was the heat issue on the ecodiesel from the 3 way coolant valve? If so it was an issue on the gas trucks too. 

The Nissan Cummins was dropped. It was targeted at a weird market segment something like a 5/8 ton. They suffered from the same things as all modern diesels, the epa crap killed the reliability. Short trips are terrible for the new diesel trucks. I know that they had some egr cooler issues and rotary turbine control valve failures. 

You know what that's exactly what it was. It was that 3 way valve. Funny thing is none of the gas trucks had that issue. Only the Eco diesels for some reason. Although I think there is only 2 gas compared to 4 diesels. Still odd though

Ok I never really heard anything about the titans other than when they came out with the Cummins. I thought that would be a nice truck. But I agree about the new diesels and EPA. Pretty much any new vehicles at work are getting ordered as gas. With a few exceptions for the ones that are actually travelling further distances and hauling every day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mudfly said:

 I think Ram has it figured out now, not sure why GM wants to have the short back seat.

has to do with epa nihsta  on the total overall length and gvw

full 2x cabs are 95% + short bed only

at least here plates have gone crazy $$$$ for 3/4 and gvw over 6k

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Local salesman said his Dodge 3.0 was good till 95k then he had all sorts of wiring and emission issues.  A 2016 iirc.  BIL has 1 and been fine.  Less mile and a 18 iirc.  Both say near 30mpg

Chev have improved back seat foot room...i know it was kinda poorly designed.  I never sit in the back so...  Have heard 0 aboit the baby duramax.  Iirc its a older motor design.  They had em in MX for yeaaars.  A new 1/2 ton chev get 18 to 20 just as is with a 5.3.  Tahoes even get 18 from every owner i personally know.

Here EcoBoost are poorly talked about.  Early ones were poor reliabilty and had turbo and rod issues.  Most guys never buy a 2nd.  And friends 5.0 get same mpg for some reason.

If fuel econ is your primary thing get a Jetta or Passat tdi.  40 all day.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

baby duramax posts some impressive number but from my point of view anybody that drives the engine oil pump with a belt should be tared and feathered and to add more insult to service the belft the transmission has to be moved back.iam a die hard gm man but that crap makes me angry, my two cents.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, db1486 said:

Does Nissan still have the Titan with the Cummins or did that not last?

885 is correct, the Titan's Cummins diesel is gone as an option here in the US. 

In Canada, it was recently announced that the entire Titan model will be killed off in Canada after 2020.  The Titan's annual sales of 2,807 units (less than 1% of the Canadian pickup market share) quickly explains the decision.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it’s seems that no one here likes the Ram Ecodiesel.  I’m going to go take a test drive as I am curious, but will be very cautious with it.

I’d love to take a test drive in a 3.0L power stroke and potentially a Chevy 3.0 duramax, but those are way out of the budget.

probably end up with an EcoBoost, but need to test drive a few.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dieselman said:

baby duramax posts some impressive number but from my point of view anybody that drives the engine oil pump with a belt should be tared and feathered and to add more insult to service the belft the transmission has to be moved back.iam a die hard gm man but that crap makes me angry, my two cents.

I had a little ISUZU 1.8 LTR Diesel car in 1984 that engine was overhead cam with a WIDE gimmer belt that also drove the Injection pump. Belt was supposed to be changed at 100,000 miles. Mine broke at 106,000 miles.  I thought the engine was done BUT local ISUZU place said bring it in most of the time no collateral damage is done when the belt breaks. He was correct, only damage was a rocker arm.  SO ISUZU has a long history of light duty diesels rotated by GIMMER belts. The Diesel was one of the most reliable engines I have had in a small car. Only other issue was glow plugs and they were less than $10 each at about 60,000 miles. BY CHOICE I WOULD HAVE GEAR DRIVEN.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a ‘12 eco boost and a ‘14 eco boost. Bought the 12 new daughter has it out in Colorado and it had 145,000 miles on it with nothing but oil changes and spark plugs once gets better mileage than the 14 does. They are peppy trucks and I am impressed with them.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2020 at 9:37 PM, Mudfly said:

Need to have 4 wheel drive Off road ability and will be driving 200 plus miles a day.

....?....pisst.....dont tell anyone.. but locally the AI techs whove been at it for decades will tell you the best 4 wheel drive and off the pavement, best in out heavy wet snow, great mpg, greta resale, incredible long life.......Subaru's.....they are frankly pretty damn good.  Friends have seen Subarus coming donw from a logging road like nothing as they are trying to crawl up with big pick ups.  Simple maintenance, witchcraft all wheel drive that lastforever and work amazing.

A few year old Outback will impress.  Wed have one but she wont drive one.  Here its a badge of enviro, social justice, organic, hairy pits compliance.  An they allow you park right out front of your nearby camping store...or blm protest

 

Jass has good experience so EcoBoost sounds like viable option too....the earliest were like 07?....them were ones ive heard bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

....?....pisst.....dont tell anyone.. but locally the AI techs whove been at it for decades will tell you the best 4 wheel drive and off the pavement, best in out heavy wet snow, great mpg, greta resale, incredible long life.......Subaru's.....they are frankly pretty damn good.  Friends have seen Subarus coming donw from a logging road like nothing as they are trying to crawl up with big pick ups.  Simple maintenance, witchcraft all wheel drive that lastforever and work amazing.

A few year old Outback will impress.  Wed have one but she wont drive one.  Here its a badge of enviro, social justice, organic, hairy pits compliance.  An they allow you park right out front of your nearby camping store...or blm protest

 

Jass has good experience so EcoBoost sounds like viable option too....the earliest were like 07?....them were ones ive heard bad.

2011 was first year for eco boost. Main thing is keep oil changed and use at least synthetic blend. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

....?....pisst.....dont tell anyone.. but locally the AI techs whove been at it for decades will tell you the best 4 wheel drive and off the pavement, best in out heavy wet snow, great mpg, greta resale, incredible long life.......Subaru's.....they are frankly pretty damn good.  Friends have seen Subarus coming donw from a logging road like nothing as they are trying to crawl up with big pick ups.  Simple maintenance, witchcraft all wheel drive that lastforever and work amazing.

A few year old Outback will impress.  Wed have one but she wont drive one.  Here its a badge of enviro, social justice, organic, hairy pits compliance.  An they allow you park right out front of your nearby camping store...or blm protest

 

 

Have some more of that Fuji Kool-Aid you forgot to add that the WRX is the fastest bestest sports car out there 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

....?....pisst.....dont tell anyone.. but locally the AI techs whove been at it for decades will tell you the best 4 wheel drive and off the pavement, best in out heavy wet snow, great mpg, greta resale, incredible long life.......Subaru's.....they are frankly pretty damn good.  Friends have seen Subarus coming donw from a logging road like nothing as they are trying to crawl up with big pick ups.  Simple maintenance, witchcraft all wheel drive that lastforever and work amazing.

A few year old Outback will impress.  Wed have one but she wont drive one.  Here its a badge of enviro, social justice, organic, hairy pits compliance.  An they allow you park right out front of your nearby camping store...or blm protest

 

Jass has good experience so EcoBoost sounds like viable option too....the earliest were like 07?....them were ones ive heard bad.

Had a 2014? outback.  It was ok.  Nothing to write home about.  Started burning oil at about 70,000 and wasn’t big enough for the family so it went down the road.  Also it Won’t work for my job.  I need a truck.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I would look at a GM halfton with a 6.2 they get great mileage and they’re very good from what I hear

I like simple cam in block V-8’s no turbos no diesels no extra emissions crap to go bad
But that’s just my two cents

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...