Harvest full swing in Almond orchards

Even though I am suppose to be retired I still get to play Farmer on my small Almond orchard 

Many of you may remember the posts of me removing a vineyard in 2015  and planting these sticks January of 2016.

in the industry we call these 5th leaf trees Now because even though planted only four years ago they grew one year in Nursery.
I am very pleased with the size of window , we will see if it translates into pay weight. Lol

we shook them on the 20ieth let them dry flat out till yesterday 29 th swept and will probably pick them up 9/2 or 3.

this is the first verity ,now ,called Non Periels  , the other row of trees are the pollinator in my case verity is Superiel they should be ready in another 10 to 15 days then we will go through same process.

few pictures of the two sweepers used in this operation , Both are Weiss /McNair machines later one is a lower profile unit both equipped with cab and air

tony

03EB9C2F-AA2B-446B-84E5-3522EF2130F3.jpeg

2D0DB0E2-318C-4582-BB83-778D66ECCC91.jpeg

C5ABAE33-11A7-4480-9EB5-68045136E370.jpeg

D0B248F3-4D25-4726-B608-838B8AE9ABEC.jpeg

D6182658-5D2A-49DF-823E-18D283B3A84A.jpeg

35B26A03-4C48-46EA-9714-2A99CC90A492.jpeg

56A2A10B-1378-4D21-8934-A55C5D8D806C.jpeg

8E5168C3-353B-4F4D-8844-436983502D2B.jpeg

AC4458AD-50F5-4105-BCF4-E3BAF32A98B4.jpeg

090CB446-C247-467C-9DAD-0C5154BBB383.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even though I am suppose to be retired I still get to play Farmer on my small Almond orchard  Many of you may remember the posts of me removing a vineyard in 2015  and planting these sticks Janua

Thank You .  Since a kid I would always read the Farm Journal and been intrigued by farming in the Mid West.  Could never visit because of family and farming kept me busy.   Since joini

Everything I know about any kind of farming other than corn, soybeans and cattle outside of central IL I owe to people like Tony who take time to share how things work.  So thanks to all of you who Ta

Posted Images

Awesome pictures Tony! Iirc you have 20 acres planted? What’s the approximate yield of that ? Is it sold by the ton? The bushel? Where do they go? Local sales or is it some big name like blue diamond and yours get mixed in with many others? 

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing those pictures. Ive never seen how almonds are harvested. What is the productive life expectancy of an almond tree?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Awesome pictures Tony! Iirc you have 20 acres planted? What’s the approximate yield of that ? Is it sold by the ton? The bushel? Where do they go? Local sales or is it some big name like blue diamond and yours get mixed in with many others? 

Yes 20 ac. My home place.

they are marketed by the meat pound. The hulls are sold to dairy feed industry by the ton.

From that  windrow you see , I am expecting 2100 to 2300 lbs per acre yield net meat weight on this verity.

i am a Blue Diamond Coop member and they market for me.

First process is the Huller , they remove hull and shells , debris  then from there nut meats go to Blue Diamond

my Huller man is a near by Nieghbor / farmer/ friend that does commercial almond hulling

tony

• Like 4
3 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Thanks for sharing those pictures. Ive never seen how almonds are harvested. What is the productive life expectancy of an almond tree?

Approx. 20 To 30 years during my farming days .(1973 to 2017) These  days guys are farming them much harder and I would say 22-27 years Top average .

On the  ranch that I sold three years ago All my Re plantings were 28-30  I pushed blocks to go 30 year before I replaced them 

Currently the new owners are still farming a block that I planted in 1980 and they say they are still producing satisfactorily .
this industry is rapidly maturing , when I started in 1973 the goal was keep them 30 - 40 years waiting four years for production . Today with tech knowledge and breeding things move faster , verities that will produce in two - three years , much closer plantings , push them hard , prune mechanically , they are burnt out by 18-20 years , with big chippers etc trees can be pulled and replanted in a year , using fumigants to clean old ground from root decease .

tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Great pics, great info, the top pic looks like a scene right out of chinatown, the only thing missing is the 35 ford.

• Like 1

Great pics.  Thank you.  It looks like sweeping or windrowing would be a dusty job without a cab.

Is there a certain moisture they shoot for when harvesting or when you pick them up after drying?

Talk about a specialized piece of equipment! Those sweepers are neat! Do they use just the rubber flap wheels to move the almonds, or is air involved too? Do the watering lines cause any loss by blocking sweepers' action?

Very nice tony!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the pics, Tony. Always enjoy seeing different crops in different parts of the country. 

• Thanks 1

Boy I bet it is dusty when you sweep!  Looking good Tony.  Glad to see all the hard work coming to fruition, literally!  I remember when you were ripping out the vineyard and had the D9's in there!

• Like 1
On 8/31/2020 at 4:26 AM, ny bill o said:

Talk about a specialized piece of equipment! Those sweepers are neat! Do they use just the rubber flap wheels to move the almonds, or is air involved too? Do the watering lines cause any loss by blocking sweepers' action?

Well you really should quick go out and see it all bill!

• Like 2

Looks good to me !

• Thanks 1
On 8/31/2020 at 4:17 AM, hobbyfarm said:

Great pics.  Thank you.  It looks like sweeping or windrowing would be a dusty job without a cab.

It is ! Use to do it without a cab ! Was younger then but it was miserable 

would wear a n95 mask , googles and wrap a kool towel around neck because weather is usually in mid To upper nineties  During harvest 

tony

On 8/31/2020 at 4:23 AM, Pete1468 said:

Is there a certain moisture they shoot for when harvesting or when you pick them up after drying?

Yes ! Want nut at or below 5% moisture and hulls need to snap when folded.

On 8/31/2020 at 4:26 AM, ny bill o said:

The flap wheel is to reach little closer to berm , the sweeper part looks like a reel rake with rubber tynes and flat rubber on every other bar which there are six

the blower is used to blow nuts from top of berm and around tree to the other middle so sweeper can reach them

there are Metal staples about five inch that are pushed into ground to hold tubing in place. We try to have a staple about every 8 feet apart 

when staple are not in place the tube gets blown into reach of flapper wheel and cause a big problem

as for nuts trapped if berms are weed or debris free and blower working as should be , nuts get blown off pretty well

tony

• Like 3
On 8/31/2020 at 10:23 AM, Rawleigh99 said:

Boy I bet it is dusty when you sweep!  Looking good Tony.  Glad to see all the hard work coming to fruition, literally!  I remember when you were ripping out the vineyard and had the D9's in there!

Yes , Almond harvest is pretty dusty 

it’s been a four years hoping and wishing & waiting 

tony

Very cool Tony , someday I need to come out and help you with harvest , that would be fun 😊

Danny 

• Like 3

Sure is nice to see and hear about how it's all done. Thanks Tony for all the imfor.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

It is ! Use to do it without a cab ! Was younger then but it was miserable 

would wear a n95 mask , googles and wrap a kool towel around neck because weather is usually in mid To upper nineties  During harvest 

tony

What a blessing the shower was after all that hard work

• Like 1

I talked with a hobby bee man in South Dakota.

I asked what he does with his bees in the winter.

He said they go to California to pollinate the nuts.

He also said they make almost more money doing the pollination as off the honey.

Never knew this.

• Like 1

Everything I know about any kind of farming other than corn, soybeans and cattle outside of central IL I owe to people like Tony who take time to share how things work.  So thanks to all of you who Take time to post pics.  It is always appreciated!!!!!!!

• Like 7