electronic ignition

what is the best electronic ignition for use on my super c, 6volt positive ground. the quality of parts from suppliers of regular  points and such are junk. last set didn't last 3mo.

I still prefer points and condenser. I buy them from case IH and they last a very long time for me and my customers. If something goes wrong, you can get them again right away for $25. not like Chinese electronic components. 407018R91.

• Like 3

Tried electronic ignition on my 230 and went back to points/condenser.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ih willie said:

what is the best electronic ignition for use on my super c, 6volt positive ground. the quality of parts from suppliers of regular  points and such are junk. last set didn't last 3mo.

if you have an old IH condenser that works leave it in!

2 hours ago, ih willie said:

find an old parts store that sells Standard Ignition brand points, rotors, caps etc. Problem solved. Don’t be too quick to change a working condenser. I’ve got a set of Standard Ignition points that are on their 16th year. Points won’t leave ya stranded. 
i know that doesn’t answer your question concerning electronic but it will help alleviate your issue with poor quality ignition parts. 

I'll be the odd man out, I like the pertronic electronic ignition.Have them in a SMTA, a SM, a M , and in a Toyota form truck. The AM stay on a 10" x 3 6' bin loadoutvirtuall year round, probably moves over 300,000 by it train every year. Put the pertronic in 5 years ago along with new plugs, have changed plugs once since then.Tractor doesn't need to be choked to start, even during the winter. The fork truck use to burn a set of points & foul plugs in  in 3 days. That was the first pertronix I put in, probably 7 years ago. Just put the third set of plugs in this spring. If going with a pertronix I would recommend also installing their 40,000 volt coil.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, boog said:

I'll be the odd man out, I like the pertronic electronic ignition.Have them in a SMTA, a SM, a M , and in a Toyota form truck. The AM stay on a 10" x 3 6' bin loadoutvirtuall year round, probably moves over 300,000 by it train every year. Put the pertronic in 5 years ago along with new plugs, have changed plugs once since then.Tractor doesn't need to be choked to start, even during the winter. The fork truck use to burn a set of points & foul plugs in  in 3 days. That was the first pertronix I put in, probably 7 years ago. Just put the third set of plugs in this spring. If going with a pertronix I would recommend also installing their 40,000 volt coil.

Been using pertronix on 4 tractors and my pulling tractor, just like boog stated get a 40,000 coil and and that set-up will out perform and out last any points, conderser  rotor cap.

• Like 3

Electronic ignition is like most things in this world.  It is not for every body.   It is a solid state switch for the coil instead of mechanical points.  Less critical about the over all condition of the distributor as far as making and breaking current flow from worn lobes, loose shaft, moisture etc.  Work good until they don't. 

I guess that doesn't answer your question though about which one is best.  I don't know which one is best. 

• Like 1

Most brands of points don’t seem to have the quality anymore or last, plastic rub blocks etc...

• Like 2

I have used PerTronix  and seem to work good.  Put it in my Case 1737 skid loader. Been working great for 4 years. Just put one in my 450 farmall.  It runs a lot smoother at idle, and my rain cap doesn't bang up and down any more at idle. Sure  maybe it needed new points, but I  like this set up now.

Don't want solid core plug wires per instructions 

Here is part# for  6v positive ground and IH distributor 

Screenshot_20200831-151123_Chrome.jpg

I am only aware of the Pertronix brand  Thats all I have ever used have a 400 Farmall yard tractor alot of starting and stopping never warmed up that  Pertronix  has been extremely reliable would not be with out it. did you have another brand in mind? Ihave sold probably a hundred or better units and have had 5 known failures. ! for sure is the key left on 1 was bad out of the box.

• Like 1

Pertronix has treated me pretty well.  Get the Pertronix Ignitor I instead of the Ignitor II if you have the choice.  Don’t ever leave the ignition switch on with the engine not running either.  I don’t miss points and condenser failures.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Farmall Nut said:

find an old parts store that sells Standard Ignition brand points, rotors, caps etc. Problem solved. Don’t be too quick to change a working condenser. I’ve got a set of Standard Ignition points that are on their 16th year. Points won’t leave ya stranded. 
i know that doesn’t answer your question concerning electronic but it will help alleviate your issue with poor quality ignition parts. 

Standard parts are chinese crap too. I just got a starter solenoid for a 1256 and it care in a nice standard box with made in china on the soleniod.

There's Pertronix and is there another brand or two?

There was a guy in the Nebraska Sandhills who hayed with Super C's and such and they had stock ignition and generators, but he used them for work and he spent money on parts and service if he needed to because they were money makers.

3 hours ago, randy hall said:

Standard parts are chinese crap too. I just got a starter solenoid for a 1256 and it care in a nice standard box with made in china on the soleniod.

Don’t doubt it but the points box  that I have says made in USA. Maybe the box only? All I know is that they’ve been the best I can get. 

Don’t, I thought I was doing a heck of a stroke putting it on the 2n, never have to mess with the effing points again I thought, seems the electronic cuts out when the voltage drops off, when it was warm and the battery full charge it would fire right up in half a revolution, when it was cold outside the starter draw pulled the battery low enough the electronic ign cut out, it would never start when cranking. Tow it it was running in a split second. In short it’s great on 12v stuff, with the 6 your better off with points.

11 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Don’t, I thought I was doing a heck of a stroke putting it on the 2n, never have to mess with the effing points again I thought, seems the electronic cuts out when the voltage drops off, when it was warm and the battery full charge it would fire right up in half a revolution, when it was cold outside the starter draw pulled the battery low enough the electronic ign cut out, it would never start when cranking. Tow it it was running in a split second. In short it’s great on 12v stuff, with the 6 your better off with points.

You probably needed a wire from the "I" terminal on the starter solenoid.  I think it has one.  Common on older stuff for the ignition to need a direct feed from the starter solenoid because of voltage drop. 

• Like 2
On 8/31/2020 at 11:15 PM, vtfireman85 said:

I had a similar problem on a Farmall 340 with 6 volt system.  When cranking it would not fire.  When I took my finger off the starter button it would fire.

• Like 1

I agree with Boog.  The 450 and 460 were slow to start.  Put Petronix ignitor and coil and they fire up right now even after setting for months.  Best thing I ever did to them.  Been on for years and no problems.

• Like 1

Points and condenser here to.

I have had good luck with a family owned auto parts store in town that carries car quest parts. Try to find somewhere like this near you it might be be slightly more expensive but this is what we do and it works great.

I have pertronics on 4 tractors. All of mine are converted to 12 volt. I buy a complete tune-up each time I converted a tractor. Plugs, wires , cap, rotor, 60k volt hot coil and new plugs . Each time I have got it all from Brillman company. I have had great luck with these conversions 

• Like 2

I've been putting electronics on every gas engine powered piece of equipment I own ( Bobcat, all tractors, Wisconsins ) only had one failure because I (STUPID ME ) hooked up the coil wrong.

Same here electric ignition with matching coil 12 volts to the coil.  I also run REAM plug adapters and use NGK tech line to advise on the best modern automotive plug based on compression and fuel.  Really seems to help.

On 8/30/2020 at 5:27 PM, ih willie said:

I’m curious what failure was it that trashed the points in 3 months , wondering cause I have a super c with points