A little concrete pour with our 114 year old mixer

We have an old Rex mixer, it came about like you see it, the top sits on there as someone cut it off crudely, but it gets lifted off to use it so it doesn’t get tangled up in the chain. It runs on a 1/2 hp 120v electric motor that we store elsewhere and put on when needed. Whenever needed we dig it out, fill the grease cups, give them a few turns and away she goes. Somewhere there is a 1906 date on it and the equipment company who sold it, I’ll get some tag pictures Monday, she’s a tired old gal but it gets the job done. Incidentally the jack shaft turns at 550 rpm, so a PTO conversion may be in its future someday. 
dad had a bilco door that had a deck built over it, it was leaking and unused so we poured a sloped cap over it. 
rex is still in business making mixers, here’s the link to the company history 

http://rexcon.com/about-us/history/

2A30970A-7B80-467F-8DE3-2E37CF764453.jpeg

A5316D34-D473-4B17-B55C-D5AAD1992CDC.jpeg

9BA40C43-2C27-4E3B-81C8-4AF0D1044500.jpeg

7F91F2FA-3B85-47FC-8ABF-3D828E8C0203.jpeg

CA0937B8-F33F-4A57-817D-1E26259FAE94.jpeg

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, RichardDSalyer said:

Quite the large drive chain.  If you had to replace a link are they still available?

Safety first Seth, get a cover for that outdoor GFCI outlet.

It’s on the list. I am not sure about parts, I suspect a major failure with this would see it get replaced, but it’s still kind of cool. 

7 hours ago, mmi said:

what do you suppose powered it in 1906?

as  1cyl/maytag engines were still expensive and rare

According to the website I saw it talked about 3hp engines, but I’m not convinced this was new or big enough for that maybe they used squirrels?

Thank you! I think I may have finally found out who manufactured my Montgomery Ward mixer! They look very similar. Mine rolls around on a repurposed K Car axle and has a homemade wooden pulley on it. 

2 minutes ago, KWRB said:

Thank you! I think I may have finally found out who manufactured my Montgomery Ward mixer! They look very similar. Mine rolls around on a repurposed K Car axle and has a homemade wooden pulley on it. 

Got pics?? I don’t know if you can see it in the pictures but this one has a suspension system!

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

It’s on the list. I am not sure about parts, I suspect a major failure with this would see it get replaced, but it’s still kind of cool. 

According to the website I saw it talked about 3hp engines, but I’m not convinced this was new or big enough for that maybe they used squirrels?

My Grandfather was born in 1896 on the family farm,   Oldest of eleven children,   His job as a teen was to tend a  "Rotary Cement Mixer".

The company he hired with   "Poured dairy barn gutters".  The Milking barn improvements in this part of Michigan was growing fast.   Many barn basements were modified to increase milk production,   Another company installed the track over head to carry the "Manure Trolley" to the outside manure storage area.

One job he spoke about was keeping the Gas powered engine in  "tip top shape", The mixing unit was always out side next to the sand pile & portland bags of cement. He also maintained the Wheel barrow road in and out of the barn,  Mostly wide flat boards,    material left over from the new dairy barn construction.

His main job was shoveling the sand and gravel & Hauling barrels of water to the mixer,   at the end of the day,  the inside of the mixer was cleaned,  washed and oiled.

I never saw the mixer he used,  I know he talked about the mixer rolling on its own wheels from farm to farm,    a large Roof was attached to the frame of the mixer, you would not have to work in the hot sun or pouring rain,  the frame of the mixer also carried the gas cans & engine oil,  many shovels & concrete forms. 

Thanks for posting the photos,  Jim Droscha

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sure wish I could have found one of those mixers close by for this instead of buying a new one from Northern Tool.  It got the job done and has been used for several other things too, but it doesn’t have much cool factor.

D3173CD6-DA5B-4920-9B34-4F6A628D0158.jpeg

81A29D80-625D-4ABF-954D-C3355988C059.jpeg

15F43607-3DD9-4793-9A4E-251D6E2925CA.jpeg

F0204318-CA9F-4879-85CA-BD320B2AA0E5.jpeg

1DFF3C01-1005-443D-98FA-02AEB719493D.jpeg

EF41E463-58B9-48F7-93B0-DEFF863AF698.jpeg

Seem to see most of those were powered by Stover Hit and Miss engines around me.  Those old Mixers are sure better than the newer ones IMO.................I was going to buy a new one and found one at a sale that needed a motor and some machine work for $10................I used it a bunch, and had all the parts so my costs were just time.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, clay neubauer said:

Sure wish I could have found one of those mixers close by for this instead of buying a new one from Northern Tool.  It got the job done and has been used for several other things too, but it doesn’t have much cool factor.

D3173CD6-DA5B-4920-9B34-4F6A628D0158.jpeg

81A29D80-625D-4ABF-954D-C3355988C059.jpeg

15F43607-3DD9-4793-9A4E-251D6E2925CA.jpeg

F0204318-CA9F-4879-85CA-BD320B2AA0E5.jpeg

1DFF3C01-1005-443D-98FA-02AEB719493D.jpeg

EF41E463-58B9-48F7-93B0-DEFF863AF698.jpeg

A wood fired brick pizza oven is on my list! That’s awesome!!! 

Very cool! As an old concrete guy, I sure have an appreciation for those pictures. I passed on one at auction probably 20 years ago that had an old Economy gas engine belted up to it and have regretted not buying it since then.

I wonder if the builder, salesman, or first owner of that mixer could have had any inkling that it would still be out there doing its job 114 years later?!?

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, RichardDSalyer said:

Your list is so long how do you prioritize which comes first?

It’s a source of constant frustration for my wife. I myself am scattered enough it doesn’t bother me, picture a fly on its back buzzing in circles. 

• Haha 2
11 minutes ago, Red Collector said:

Very cool! As an old concrete guy, I sure have an appreciation for those pictures. I passed on one at auction probably 20 years ago that had an old Economy gas engine belted up to it and have regretted not buying it since then.

I wonder if the builder, salesman, or first owner of that mixer could have had any inkling that it would still be out there doing its job 114 years later?!?

I wonder about stuff like that. What was it’s purpose? Who bought it, who welded that enormous crack with nickel rod? Did they wonder if it would get them through the year 70 years ago? 
my dad grew up at a time that many small farmers locally were selling out and moving to the valley. He remembers when a large crew, everyone involved in building the house, plumbers, electricians, excavator and maybe some more got together to do the foundation, was a big couple days, and one or 2 locals had a 5 bag mixer, ours is a 1 bag he said one of them looked much like the S7 in the link I showed. Gramp Always had lots of rocks in hand whenever pouring was going on, he would plop them in to take up space and get rid of rocks. Not the greatest thing for strength probably, but all his stuff is still standing and doing ok, so I’ll say he had an idea what he was doing. Pops talks about his jobs evolving during the community pours as he got older, and bigger. But he was always around as a kid, with 2 older sisters and a sour-puss of a mother, he spent all his time with my grandfather. 

• Thanks 2

Mine is a Sears and Roebuck. My uncle bought it used some time in the 70’s I think. I purchased it from him recently and cleaned it up a little bit. New belt and knocked the scale off the tank. Painted the outside. Everyone said I was silly to do that so I asked if they wanted to use a wheel barrow and shovel to mix it for me?  Funny thing is.....I had no takers.....sissies. 

158F230B-6AD8-4883-9378-31D125264E54.jpeg

0D347C0F-A595-4F1B-BCA5-2DB3A6693895.jpeg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

A wood fired brick pizza oven is on my list! That’s awesome!!! 

Fireman, if you want I could provide you a link to where I got the kit and plans to do this.  Just beware, it's a LOT of work lol.   But, we did a trial run yesterday (which kinds sucked) and several pies today which got rave reviews.  It's going to be a very fun thing to have around!

F5A26A43-71F4-4B81-A0AE-D5083D69C1F8.jpeg

37C4644C-90C4-442B-9CEA-3C365F3CB722.jpeg

• Like 3
6 hours ago, clay neubauer said:

Fireman, if you want I could provide you a link to where I got the kit and plans to do this.  Just beware, it's a LOT of work lol.   But, we did a trial run yesterday (which kinds sucked) and several pies today which got rave reviews.  It's going to be a very fun thing to have around!

Please!

8 hours ago, clay neubauer said:

Now that looks good! Pizza is one of my favorite food groups, I’ll start out now and be there tomorrow!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Mine is a Sears and Roebuck. My uncle bought it used some time in the 70’s I think. I purchased it from him recently and cleaned it up a little bit. New belt and knocked the scale off the tank. Painted the outside. Everyone said I was silly to do that so I asked if they wanted to use a wheel barrow and shovel to mix it for me?  Funny thing is.....I had no takers.....sissies. 

0D347C0F-A595-4F1B-BCA5-2DB3A6693895.jpeg

Nice Chevy storage rack in the background 

10 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

I need to put my glasses on that looks like a Scout storage rack 

Correct sir. I need to get some time set aside to finish the floor. It’s a 1980 with SD33T. 

C5AA3479-5508-4F62-B634-C000A1D809A0.jpeg

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Correct sir. I need to get some time set aside to finish the floor. It’s a 1980 with SD33T. 

C5AA3479-5508-4F62-B634-C000A1D809A0.jpeg

Nice Scout!!

last year square headlights factory Zeibart and the turbo diesel Dana 300 T-case.

Does it have the close ratio four speed and Trac-Loc rear end? 

16 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Nice Scout!!

last year square headlights factory Zeibart and the turbo diesel Dana 300 T-case.

Does it have the close ratio four speed and Trac-Loc rear end? 

T-19 4 speed, D300, and 3.55 gears. Front is an Aussie locker and the rear is a spool.  I added the traction aids, lift, and everything else to it but the patina.  It could use 4.10’s but will still run down the highway like this. I had a Jeep with 5.38’s, T-18 granny low 4 spd, and lockers once.  It was great on the trail but you couldnt drive it much otherwise.