forage harvestor prices?

2 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

My buddies tell me they figure they are $ ahead to hire the merging done by the chopper crew due to the high abilities of the merger operator which reduces chopper hrs which equates to chopper $. 

The last couple years I was at the farm I did nearly all the merging while the bosses son chopped. A good merger operator is worth his weight in gold.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

0 way I could justify the purchase.  Along with repairs, fuel, labor, insurance, and surprise major failures. 

My former employer once told me that there was no financial benefit to the farm harvesting its own feed. That was with me doing most of the repairs to the chopper, trucks, and all other equipment and I thought, and was told by others, that I did a good job with what I was allowed to do. In six years I never had a breakdown that shut us down for more than 24 hours in corn. We were down for three days in hay once but that was because we had to wait for parts.

That comment kicked my legs out from under me and took the wind out of my sail and was the beginning of the end for me there. I put everything I had into that harvesting operation. Now there are the other factors of feed quality and timeliness that we could control but in the end the bottom line is what matters.

I really dread this time of year, calls around the clock, help I am broke down and they don't care that I have other obligations to meet. A couple of the farmers just call and say we are down get to it when you can. Those are the ones who I get to first. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

My former employer once told me that there was no financial benefit to the farm harvesting its own feed. That was with me doing most of the repairs to the chopper, trucks, and all other equipment and I thought, and was told by others, that I did a good job with what I was allowed to do. In six years I never had a breakdown that shut us down for more than 24 hours in corn. We were down for three days in hay once but that was because we had to wait for parts.

That comment kicked my legs out from under me and took the wind out of my sail and was the beginning of the end for me there. I put everything I had into that harvesting operation. Now there are the other factors of feed quality and timeliness that we could control but in the end the bottom line is what matters.

Here it certainly pays to have our own. There is no one else nearby to chop. We were always chopping second cutting the week after the custom guys would finally get to our neighbors. Initial cost for the chopper was $32k per year for 5 year lease. Year before we had 400 acres of corn chopped and it cost around the same as the lease . Haylage is where we make or loose the money for the chopper weather related but it is 3+ weeks earlier than the custom guys

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

My former employer once told me that there was no financial benefit to the farm harvesting its own feed.

With the cost of machinery this statement is true however the former employer failed to factor in the cost benefit of having the equipment to perform all harvest activities on his terms, and not that of a custom crew.  I have experienced crop failure from storm damage waiting for a custom crew to arrive and in the event I had the harvest equipment, the task would have been completed prior to the storm.  From time to time an individuals cost/benefit analysis only considers income versus expense and does not calculate the opportunity savings/cost of farm ownership.  From time to time it may be beneficial for several operators to pool resources for high dollar equipment which is seldom used, however that also creates issues with which operator harvests first, as often times the crop matures at the same time for all operators.  Never discount a good farm tax accountant and bonus depreciation.

1 hour ago, Finney said:

A couple of the farmers just call and say we are down get to it when you can. Those are the ones who I get to first. 

That is a lesson I learned a long time ago, with a local man that could fix anything. Someone who came in with both guns blazing would most likely get shown the door.

It didn't help that at the time we were in the middle of third cutting hay and were plagued with breakdowns across the board. It was the only since we started harvesting again that we had to hire the custom harvester to bail us out, he did 300 acres for us. I took it as a major defeat because I'm an all in failure is not an option kind of guy when I set out to do something and in all reality I just needed a day to give the equipment some love but everybody else wanted to throw in the towel.

• Sad 1
40 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

That is a lesson I learned a long time ago, with a local man that could fix anything. Someone who came in with both guns blazing would most likely get shown the door.

X2.  My main mechanic is telephoned and informed what the problem is and where the equipment can be located.  Invoice me when the job is completed or if he has a cash shortage call me and he will be paid immediately. Generally the farm is at or near the top of his list.

• Like 2

Bittys situation is diff than me.  I have not looked lately but at 400k for used good chopper....we spend under 35k a year for the custom guy.  And there are 4 or 6 custom operators in the county.  All but 1 have 2 choppers so.... 

We are loyal to our guy but if he runs into a bind and cant come we have no problem calling a diff guy to beat weather etc 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

We are loyal to our guy but if he runs into a bind and cant come we have no problem calling a diff guy to beat weather etc 

Loyalty is all that can be asked for.  In my business, if I am provided first opportunity and cannot meet your bid/job requirements, I would not be disappointed and would expect you to find another party to meet your needs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, RichardDSalyer said:

Loyalty is all that can be asked for.  In my business, if I am provided first opportunity and cannot meet your bid/job requirements, I would not be disappointed and would expect you to find another party to meet your needs.

Hes been great.  11 years with him now.  I think 2x he just couldnt make it.  Weather is not his fault.  1000s of acres of corn is all ready same time.  He also didnt complain or say a neg thing about getting the big rake.  We get done 2 hr sooner.  Saves trucks an stacking hrs....he honestly likes it.  Says chopper runs nicer when full of grass and then we are a 1 big day so can get to next customer 

• Like 1