Combines are fueled and greased..........

Talked to my renter, they are going to start combining next week. I bet I saw combines sitting in about 50% of the farm yards today. Kind of like "who's going to go first" Wife mentioned last night that in a week or so all you will be able to see is gravel and corn dust.

Not sure about other parts of the world, but the 90+ heat for the last 3 weeks has been a killer here. Stuff went from green to brown almost over night. Not sure if it will make for light test weights or not. Talked to a cattle feeder today, he said his silage went from ready to to dry just in the few days it took them to chop.

Gonna be a fun fall. 

We are going to chop Monday through Wednesday. Then depending on how it tests we will immediately start the big pile or wait two weeks

I am hoping to be able to hold off until after the 19th as the neighbor gets married that day at his farm . I really don't want to be started up and not chop Saturday and Sunday in the same crop ....

Haven't seen any corn drying down here yet.  We got a good 1.5 inches yesterday which should keep things green a bit longer.

I opened a field for the neighbor tonight. It was lower moisture than what you want for a bunk in some parts of the field but by the woods the juice ran from the spout. 

talked with uncle from Colorado last week  

adjacent to his cabin farm owns 25 sections  they order NEW combines EVERY year, just put out a bid for !!   12 !!

2 hours ago, mmi said:

talked with uncle from Colorado last week  

adjacent to his cabin farm owns 25 sections  they order NEW combines EVERY year, just put out a bid for !!   12 !!

How do they do that? Deal with people from corporate on those? I sure wouldn't want to be a dealer who gets 12 combines like that in at the end of the term to find home's for

4 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

How do they do that? Deal with people from corporate on those? I sure wouldn't want to be a dealer who gets 12 combines like that in at the end of the term to find home's for

Lease program.

Am I the only one that will be replacing the transition cone and pulling the radiator off thats been leaking on the first day its good to go in the field?

We’ve been going for 2 weeks.  Yields are above average for the small grains and the pulse crops are some of the best we’ve cut in 10 years.  

12 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

Haven't seen any corn drying down here yet.  We got a good 1.5 inches yesterday which should keep things green a bit longer.

The last corn we planted around memorial day after taking hay off looked finished last week on the final hot dry day we had.  Almost 4" of rain later, you NEVER would guess it now.  Only set probably 4-5" long ears on the high ground though.  

The 88 day variety we planted first has ears hanging down already.  Thankfully it was "made" for the most part before this drought got really ugly.  Good thing it will be ready early too as we are scrounging for feed.  

I’d enjoy going and seeing some harvesting in person again.   May have to make it happen.