keep hearing stories of the price increase of lumber, so who is making the most? surely the logger who cut it months ago before all of this started  didn't , around here in wis with some big mills closing and logging equipment sitting idle . seems that their is a lot of it for sale, while I haven't checked lately I was a t yard last week, guy wanted a 2 by 4 16 foot long 16 dollars.

Just now, pt756 said:

keep hearing stories of the price increase of lumber, so who is making the most? surely the logger who cut it months ago before all of this started  didn't , around here in wis with some big mills closing and logging equipment sitting idle . seems that their is a lot of it for sale, while I haven't checked lately I was a t yard last week, guy wanted a 2 by 4 16 foot long 16 dollars.

Retailers, like normal 

• Like 1

Wholesalers are making bank.  There is no way that production costs have gone up substaintially.  We are simply in  supply and demand situation and someone is raising prices to slow demand.  Someone is getting rich off this.  Retail pricing on demensional lumber and sheeting have gone up at least 50%. Treated even more if you can get It.  With Corona, production shut down or slowed while everyone sitting at home decided to do projects, build decks, etc.

• Like 1

A month ago I bought 3/4 T&G plywood subfloor - $28.00 a sheet.  Needed 6 sheets of 3/4 CDX to finish project last week - $46.00 a sheet.

A month ago Doug Fir 2 x 4 x 8' - $4.00.  Needed a few more so called lumber yard to check price, now $6.00.  Took an hour to get to yard, price went up to $7.00.

Price gouging.

• Sad 1

1/2” sheet of OSB is $32 here. 8ft pine 2x4 is $5.65 ($2 more than usual) I work in the building trade. We’re being told prices will continue to go up and we won’t be able to get plywood after the first of the year. I’m not sure why but I have reason to believe it. 

5 hours ago, oleman said:

Fencing cedar is expensive in this area, also CDX plywood. The storm in the Gulf is going to cause shortages.

I agree.  Any real or perceived demand from hurricane(s) will only make things worse.

2x6x10 couple weeks ago was 7.00, now about 10.00. Treated lumber you can't even get.... son has been waiting 2 months for some treated 4x4's already bought and paid for. wonder if the yard will honor the sale if and when they get some.  

Was into Menard's 3 weeks ago to get some 3/4 OSB for sheeting. Bought and paid for it. Went to load it in and there was none. Guy in the yard said they have been selling it even if they dont have it. He gave me 3/4 T&G OSB instead. didn't matter for what I was using it for.

Was in there again Wednesday to pick up some 2x6's. Guy said they got in a load of treated 2x's when they opened the store that morning, and were gone by 4PM. Worse than toilet paper. Lucky I got my treated stuff months ago. Not sure what the shortage of treated stuff is from. Heard that the COVID has the city DIY'ers all building decks and pool enclosures. Sort of makes sense because I've heard there is a shortage of swimming pools also. All the vacation money is being spent on home improvements.

there are several other threads running on this.

i$$ has been up here 30-70% IF available since april 10  pt was so over $$ we bought some from the "store" cull pile

no one is buying or producing ANY timber/lumber here   

have been watching for used mills for over a year they are up $  30-60% even above new as those are "not available"

also gas went up $.30             8-26 between 7-10am   back down >.08 today

3 hours ago, Tippmann98 said:

1/2” sheet of OSB is $32 here. 8ft pine 2x4 is $5.65 ($2 more than usual) I work in the building trade. We’re being told prices will continue to go up and we won’t be able to get plywood after the first of the year. I’m not sure why but I have reason to believe it. 

21.35 here for OSB...i need another bunk of it...54 sheets

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/osb-sheathing/1-2-x-4-x-8-osb/1242809/p-1444422395209.htm

4.77 for 2x4x8

8 hours ago, oleman said:

Fencing cedar is expensive in this area, also CDX plywood. The storm in the Gulf is going to cause shortages.

Part of the issue with cedar is the mild winter we had last winter.  The cedar swamps never froze so most loggers in this region couldn't cut any cedar.  There are three mills close by to me that make cedar fencing and they are begging for wood. They are even taking summer cut which most won't do because the bark falls off and it will split. I know that we are just a small portion of the big picture but I can only imagine it was the same elsewhere.

Shortages, bare store shelves, get in line in the hope you can get what you need.  Not the America of plenty I grew up in.  The politicians overreaction to the virus has turned us into what we used to see in the old Soviet Union.

• Sad 1
On 8/28/2020 at 10:56 AM, Skagit Farmer said:

A month ago I bought 3/4 T&G plywood subfloor - $28.00 a sheet.  Needed 6 sheets of 3/4 CDX to finish project last week - $46.00 a sheet.

A month ago Doug Fir 2 x 4 x 8' - $4.00.  Needed a few more so called lumber yard to check price, now $6.00.  Took an hour to get to yard, price went up to $7.00.

Price gouging.

$4.76 for 8' 2x4 here. Just bought 60 at Lowe's. 2x4x16. This didn't make any sense. Got some of both. $9.88 for treated. $9.87 for untreated. 

5 hours ago, Skagit Farmer said:

Shortages, bare store shelves, get in line in the hope you can get what you need.  Not the America of plenty I grew up in.  The politicians overreaction to the virus has turned us into what we used to see in the old Soviet Union.

You hit the nail on the head.  The geniuses who called for a shutdown don't live in the same world we do, and have no idea how many steps are involved in manufacturing and distribution.  Now that the chickens are starting to come home to roost, I predict we'll see more and more of this sort of thing.  And it's not just lumber.

Like BTO said, "you ain't seen nuthin' yet".

The printer for my computer died. I start looking, there a 3 of one model in the area at Best Buy. Every other model and local stores have 1 display model, not for sale and the printers are back ordered for future delivery.

The big plotter scanner at work ($16,000) was giving lots of problems. HP couldn't get it fixed so replaced it at no cost. Waited 4 weeks for the replacement to show up All made you know where - China

2 hours ago, Steve C. said:

You hit the nail on the head.  The geniuses who called for a shutdown don't live in the same world we do, and have no idea how many steps are involved in manufacturing and distribution.  Now that the chickens are starting to come home to roost, I predict we'll see more and more of this sort of thing.  And it's not just lumber.

Like BTO said, "you ain't seen nuthin' yet".

I think they no exactly what they are doing. Im just not a 100 % sure what their end game is but it involves getting the public desperate.....

3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I think they no exactly what they are doing. Im just not a 100 % sure what their end game is but it involves getting the public desperate.....

I think you're right.

A friend is a logger. The price of timber is still very low here in Arkansas. The mills are not overly busy. 

Sounds like the cattle market to me.

Thx-Ace