1/2" Hydraulic lines

32 minutes ago, Duntongw said:

I have worked with flaring hydraulic lines before, but the tooling for 1/2" steel started north of $400

https://www.amazon.com/MASTERCOOL-72480-Silver-Flaring-Hydraulic/dp/B01N9UVVSX/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=mastercool+hydraulic+flaring+tool&qid=1598629918&sprefix=mastercool+hydraulic+f&sr=8-5

You can spend more and buy a kit that does brake and fuel line, then buy the additional kit to do 37° and only spend $400.  Then you can make 3 types of steel lines.  Makes the the tool worth owing if you do any of those other jobs. 

15 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Look into the stainless options from Parker or SwedgeLoc if you want to piece it together from fittings.  The 3/8" lines I am familiar with are good to 3000# or more working pressure.  Larger may be less or require more wall thickness.  Double ferrel fittings.

i work for a natural gas compressor station and stanless steel swedge will hold the pressure  no problem they are rated at 3000#  we can not buy anything under 3000# 

18 hours ago, J-Mech said:

You have to flare it.  "Ferrule" is just a ring that is part of a compression fitting.  Compression fittings are not rated for most hydraulic pressures.  I won't even use them on hydraulic brake line, even though the industry seems to think that is ok.  I don't trust them in that application.  I'm not going to say none exist rated for 2400# pressures, because some engineer will come along and show some that are.  Let's just go with, you won't find any compression fittings rated for the hydraulic pressure your tractor makes.

Anyway, yes, flare.  And it has to be double flared to hold the pressure.  Also remember that hydraulics use a 37° flare and not a 45°.

Well I’m not an engineer but I do have one of these one of my loaders. A factory fitting blew apart in the field and it was quicker to go to town and grab this than go home and attempt a fix. It is rated for 5000 psi In the steel version and 7700 psi in the stainless version (1/2”)

https://www.parker.com/Literature/Tube Fittings Division/XHBU.pdf

17 minutes ago, ZG6E said:

Well I’m not an engineer but I do have one of these one of my loaders. A factory fitting blew apart in the field and it was quicker to go to town and grab this than go home and attempt a fix. It is rated for 5000 psi In the steel version and 7700 psi in the stainless version (1/2”)

https://www.parker.com/Literature/Tube Fittings Division/XHBU.pdf

Westendorf started using these on their loaders about 1980.  Do not know if they still use them.

6 hours ago, hardknocks said:

i work for a natural gas compressor station and stanless steel swedge will hold the pressure  no problem they are rated at 3000#  we can not buy anything under 3000# 

I also work natural gas, but on district pressure reduction stations we only use 3/8" and 1/2", so I was being cautious with the advice.  I 100% agree, I'd use them on a loader in a heartbeat with full confidence. 

Got some 1’ tubing run tomorrow ferlock is the brand I think it uses Ferrells 3000 # but we have a machine that locks Ferrell down on the big stuff . 1/4 and 3/8 just use a wrench . The 1 has to be clamped at every joint and every so many feet of straight pipe. 

All the fittings on my Westendorf TA-28 are compression fittings with ferrules.

As for black iron pipe, I would NOT use any of the black iron pipe you can buy today for hydraulics. When it was still made in the USA it was rated for maybe 300PSI. I would not trust the cheap foreign-made pipe out there now to not split down the seam end to end, or crack at the threads, when subjected to 1500-3000PSI. 

1 hour ago, lightninboy said:

Hopkins, Minnesota with a branch in Greeley, Colorado.

Thanks I knew it was someplace in close to southern mn. Thought it was farther south near Iowa border. They started in 1939 and sold to agco in mid 90s. After googling company John Deere sued farmhand for patent issues on two loaders for jd tractors . Farmhand actually won the suit.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

All the fittings on my Westendorf TA-28 are compression fittings with ferrules.

As for black iron pipe, I would NOT use any of the black iron pipe you can buy today for hydraulics. When it was still made in the USA it was rated for maybe 300PSI. I would not trust the cheap foreign-made pipe out there now to not split down the seam end to end, or crack at the threads, when subjected to 1500-3000PSI. 

It could very well have been rated at 300 psi in use for gas applications. Here is chart with actual burst pressure 1/2 inch 40 has a working pressure of 2300 burst of 15,000

98F9C931-3735-4D57-BAC4-B8E5B76C9C6A.png

76D69E44-3FBB-406C-9575-C253C33B7CE6.png

9 hours ago, dale560 said:

It could very well have been rated at 300 psi in use for gas applications. Here is chart with actual burst pressure 1/2 inch 40 has a working pressure of 2300 burst of 15,000

Your charts are all well and good but I question if they're actually talking about true "black iron pipe" as you can purchase at the hardware store and big box stores.

In fact the second chart says "seamless" and I know for a fact that "black iron pipe" from the hardware store is welded.

I have also witnessed a brand new cast fitting split from just water pressure. It was not overtightened.

If there is a Parker store near you they can hook you up . The hand bender pictured is what we use for 1/2 I think Lowe’s has them . The press is what we use for 3/4 and over to crimp every thing small just tighten with wrench. One reason we went to these is it don’t really require any special skill like welding or flaring . 

2A728CCA-B5E1-41B9-8761-E3E50DB5A433.jpeg

40AE55C1-1346-4FB0-8FD2-01C46E3BF20E.jpeg

C6F357CD-E010-4BB6-BC4A-7E4833F00284.jpeg

CB7067F8-AF0A-4062-AA01-E48DEBD948F1.jpeg

E971A6CF-55DD-4A99-90BF-2212401E0230.jpeg

• Like 1

Weatherhead numbers 06U-756 and 08U-758 are the compression style ends that westendorf used on their loaders for years. I have made a lot of hoses with these ends. IH combines and NH and heston haybines also use them. I would think if you get some straight hyd tubing and bend to fit your application with this style hose end you will be fine.

• Like 2

Had several logging trucks with log loaders mounted in the rear. We had the pumps mounted off of the pto and newer ones mounted on the pto. We always ran back pipe mounted on the frame cross members for the hydraulics of the loader. Two 3/4" for pressure and 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" for return, hoses on the pump and loader end of the pipe. My loaders ran 1850 psi, new loaders are higher, Never had a problem.

DWF

• Like 2
On 8/27/2020 at 7:06 PM, Sparky said:

Here in Iowa, I was always taught it's a big fine if a shop is caught using compression fittings on brake lines, but I see them come into my shop all the time, and I know the shop that is doing it. Heck, even Oreilly Auto Parts sells compression fittings for brake lines....I don't get it. It's not that difficult to cut and flare brake lines....

I was also taught that Copper is a no-no on brake lines, and was banned from being used sometime in the 60's...and now they've came out with nickle/copper line....

Travis

My argument against that is stell WILL fail eventually due to corrosion.  Bullshit argument on their part IMO

On 8/27/2020 at 5:37 PM, J-Mech said:

You have to flare it.  "Ferrule" is just a ring that is part of a compression fitting.  Compression fittings are not rated for most hydraulic pressures.  I won't even use them on hydraulic brake line, even though the industry seems to think that is ok.  I don't trust them in that application.  I'm not going to say none exist rated for 2400# pressures, because some engineer will come along and show some that are.  Let's just go with, you won't find any compression fittings rated for the hydraulic pressure your tractor makes.

Anyway, yes, flare.  And it has to be double flared to hold the pressure.  Also remember that hydraulics use a 37° flare and not a 45°.

Dont get around much industrial settings i guess? Lots of machines come with stainless tubing and swedglock fittings. I can think of numerous ones now. Never had one fail to date. Actually I've seen more flare fittings crack at the base of the flair from vibrations. 

Now I wont argue I like flare better on ag equipment. 

On 8/29/2020 at 10:23 AM, jd4440 said:

Weatherhead numbers 06U-756 and 08U-758 are the compression style ends that westendorf used on their loaders for years. I have made a lot of hoses with these ends. IH combines and NH and heston haybines also use them. I would think if you get some straight hyd tubing and bend to fit your application with this style hose end you will be fine.

Those look a lot like Parker numbers I wonder if they are in together. 6u being 3/8 and 8 u being 1/2 .

21 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Dont get around much industrial settings i guess? Lots of machines come with stainless tubing and swedglock fittings. I can think of numerous ones now. Never had one fail to date. Actually I've seen more flare fittings crack at the base of the flair from vibrations. 

Now I wont argue I like flare better on ag equipment. 

Now that you mentioned it I don’t think I’ve ever seen a flare fitting at work?