Jump to content

656 Flashers/rear light not working


Recommended Posts

The amber flashers on my 656 quit working.  I assumed it was the flasher unit but a new one didn't solve the problem.  I just checked with a test light and don't have power going to the flasher unit.  The tail light or rear red light doesn't work and also does not have power going to it when checking with the test light.

I haven't dug into it too far, just curious if anyone has a good idea of what might be the issue.  I was wondering if a bad switch might be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

The amber flashers on my 656 quit working.  I assumed it was the flasher unit but a new one didn't solve the problem.  I just checked with a test light and don't have power going to the flasher unit.  The tail light or rear red light doesn't work and also does not have power going to it when checking with the test light.

I haven't dug into it too far, just curious if anyone has a good idea of what my be the issue.  I was wondering if a bad switch might be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Start checking wiring 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do the forward facing lights work? I've had to replace the fuse for the lights a couple times until I found out where it was shorting out under the dash on mine. Only blew the fuse on the coldest winter nights when trying to feed hay bales. Funny coincidence?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jesse in WI said:

Do the forward facing lights work? I've had to replace the fuse for the lights a couple times until I found out where it was shorting out under the dash on mine. Only blew the fuse on the coldest winter nights when trying to feed hay bales. Funny coincidence?

Correct, the forward facing lights and the rear work light work.  Just the flashing ambers and rear red light not working.

Link to post
Share on other sites

switch transfers power to the flasher then to the lights if that helps - of course that is how it was originally wired who knows after this many years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

BLack wire on the TL circuit on the light switch is broken.   Measure power on the TL pin with the switch in the first or second notch.   If you got it there, trace the wire back.  The big "multipin connection" by the fuel tank, then the connector under the platform (near the clutch switch area).   If you don't have power on the TL pin, replace the switch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

BLack wire on the TL circuit on the light switch is broken.   Measure power on the TL pin with the switch in the first or second notch.   If you got it there, trace the wire back.  The big "multipin connection" by the fuel tank, then the connector under the platform (near the clutch switch area).   If you don't have power on the TL pin, replace the switch.

Thank you Jeff.  That's what I was looking for.  I assumed there would be a certain circuit I need to check on the switch since power goes to the flashers and tail light with the same switch settings.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the amount of time it took to make this post and wait for answers, (18 hours) I could have replaced every component in the lighting circuit on a 686, and ran new wires.  Go get a test light and start testing where you have power.  It is the most simple circuit that is made.  Power to a switch, that turns on a light.  Find where it isn't getting power and fix it.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J-Mech said:

In the amount of time it took to make this post and wait for answers, (18 hours) I could have replaced every component in the lighting circuit on a 686, and ran new wires.  Go get a test light and start testing where you have power.  It is the most simple circuit that is made.  Power to a switch, that turns on a light.  Find where it isn't getting power and fix it.  

agreed, test light or volt meter are of great value on these old units. they used the same switch/power setup on so many of them that is for practicality speaking, redundant. Same style switch on our 400 560s and 706 just more wires/terminals. VERY EASY to figure out in my experience. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...