lemken high speed disk

Not that brand, but a friend of mine bought an Excelerator by Kuhn.  This was the second season for it I believe.  He loves it.  The Excelerator is listed as a vertical tillage tool, but can be slightly angled.  They basically worked all their ground with it and a rolling basket behind, at like 12mph (34'), but it took 400 hp to pull it.  I went and rode with him this spring for a while when he was close to where I was.  It does a great job and it is so much faster.  If I was a farm owner, I would be giving a hard look at high speed minimum tillage.  I say minimum because the high speed disks are going very deep, but the move a lot of dirt around. 

Vertical tillage was a fad up here about 10 years ago. I think most everybody who tried it went back to a regular style disk or some variation. Those degleman protill disks seem to be getting quite popular around here as a one pass tool. 

The problem with the vertical tillage around here is they couldn't handle our rocky soil. Small ones aren't so bad but if you hit a subterainian boulder at 10 plus mph you will do serious damage. The cost per acre was just too high. Also some guys said they had to step up their herbercide program because the weeds seemed to get an earlier start.

Area specific for sure.   Tried a single pass min till tool once.   Turned my ground into a concrete slab.   nuf said.

12 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Vertical tillage was a fad up here about 10 years ago. I think most everybody who tried it went back to a regular style disk or some variation.

That is what the Excelerater is.  A variation of a disk.  It really is more of a minimum tillage tool than a vertical till, although it is capable of both. 

28 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Area specific for sure. 

Soil type plays a big part in any tillage tool.  Overworking soil will make it hard.  There are lots of types of tools out there.  I'm glad you tried one.  Just don't be afraid to keep trying new tools or ideas, even if they might seem like something you tried in the past that didn't work.  I know some guys you can't get to try anything.... they say, "Oh, we tried that 30 years ago and it didn't work."  Technology, seed, tools, tractors... all have evolved in the last 30 years.  IH tried to build an Axial Flow for 30 years before they figured out how to make it work.  Sometimes a new tool just hasn't been perfected yet. 

• Like 1

Now that these have been around for a few years studies are showing they are making a compaction layer just below where seed is placed. Like everything else, just another fad

11 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

Now that these have been around for a few years studies are showing they are making a compaction layer just below where seed is placed. Like everything else, just another fad

Enough to cause issues?  Just thinking.  I see spud guys using Lehmkens.  The workers say they love em.  But they generally run 8 passes.  At least....  It is amazing how them disc just smooth and fully chop up the cover crops or sod they run over.

Weve tried min till here....just never get yields and grow nice weeds.  University near has tried everything too.  Normal tillage keeps out yielding enough to justify here.