Ideas from you welder , entrepreneur inventor type

Every equipment dealership I worked for the in 80's and 90's had a forklift with a hole in the fork and they got used and abused a lot. I never saw one break out, although I'm sure it's possible given enough knucklehead persistence.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just torched a 1" hole in one of my forks, but I'm cheap.

Guy I work with built this years ago. Supper handy. We used it all the time on a 30k lb. forklift until they said we couldn’t have a hole in the fork anymore. Drive up and stick fork in until it hit t

I had this stuff laying around so I welded it up last week .   Going to use it during harvest and then it’s off to get sandblasted and painted.  Probably go with this yellow .     

Posted Images

The hole in the fork works pretty well but it works best if you can keep the hitch or tongue inline with the fork. If the fork is at a substantial angle, it puts a lot of sideways stress on the fork mount. I would agree that sometimes the truck is easier because you have good mirrors to see around the trailer. They are of course most helpful with a large box like a camper or cargo trailer. They are nearly impossible to see around without mirrors. 

On 8/27/2020 at 2:43 PM, lorenzo said:

because they are so hard to back up  

Maybe you should learn how to back stuff....... shees!

1 hour ago, MTO said:

Maybe you should learn how to back stuff....... shees!

When the tongue is also the steer axel and you want to back it around a corner and slip it into the shed Next to other things it gets a bit tricky.

The place where our bus is stored also stores many tow behind trailers he has an old medium duty fork lift to move trailers around. He is able to handle from the largest goose neck to the smallest camper  with a shoe on one fork lift arm. The fork lift, using tilt, position and lift is a very handy machine for his operation.

Probably is best use is he does not have to rely on the owner of the trailer to park it in his lot. They drop the trailer off and he takes care of parking with the fork lift.

• Like 1
On 8/28/2020 at 1:38 PM, lorenzo said:

When the tongue is also the steer axel and you want to back it around a corner and slip it into the shed Next to other things it gets a bit tricky.

Pin on Big Bang Theory

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, MTO said:

Pin on Big Bang Theory

Mark, you're just going to have to get better with your "sarcasticity". 

Like Johnny Carson used to say "when you gotta explain a joke"..................................................................😆

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Dad did not want holes in the forks for our skid steer. Not sure the reason why but he has bent more than one set moving logs and other things so.... Anyway what we did was weld a reciever tube into the frame of the backrest for the forks and we can slide in any hitch we want to use. Can use the skid steer to move a snow mobile trailer, gooseneck or even our lowboy with a lunette eye hitch with the right hitch slid in the receiver tube.

Bought one of these a year or so ago, you can back a wagon anywhere easily. We build quite a bit of what we need, but this one looked like it had good build quality, and it was quicker than if I fabbed one up. Being it uses a receiver hitch, you can back trailers up easily too. Been happy it with it so far.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titan-Skidsteer-Trailer-Receiver-Mount-Plate-Hitch-Bobcat-Case-Skid-Steer/132858237393?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/wIYAAOSwFx5b7xWa/s-l1600.jpg

I had this stuff laying around so I welded it up last week .  
Going to use it during harvest and then it’s off to get sandblasted and painted. 

58F14364-457B-452B-8FBB-1995F07D3BF6.thumb.jpeg.e7d8fe1f0f0af56d803009905f1895bd.jpeg

Probably go with this yellow . 

FAB70593-C5D5-49CB-9A95-127D4929A8D5.thumb.jpeg.d10022f7a3310c2f3a9b837520f108ef.jpeg

• Like 6

That will work for sure,  I'd pin it to the forks or chain it to the rack so when you back up with a load it doesn't slide off.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

Going to use it during harvest and then it’s off to get sandblasted and painted. 

58F14364-457B-452B-8FBB-1995F07D3BF6.thumb.jpeg.e7d8fe1f0f0af56d803009905f1895bd.jpeg

FAB70593-C5D5-49CB-9A95-127D4929A8D5.thumb.jpeg.d10022f7a3310c2f3a9b837520f108ef.jpeg

I used one very similar when I worked at Honeybee, I was loading whole goods several years I can say I moved 1000's of headers that way .Usually with a telehandler or payloader .

Not a trailer ball , just a pin .

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Guy I work with built this years ago. Supper handy. We used it all the time on a 30k lb. forklift until they said we couldn’t have a hole in the fork anymore. Drive up and stick fork in until it hit the back and started sliding the thing. When you lifted it up the pin dropped in the hole and you were ready to go. Didn’t have to get off the forklift to put on or take off. The pin is welded to two legs that lift it when you set it down.

B9E116CB-420D-4723-9D2F-67FDC522D0F9.jpeg

• Like 7
41 minutes ago, MarkG said:

Guy I work with built this years ago. Supper handy. We used it all the time on a 30k lb. forklift until they said we couldn’t have a hole in the fork anymore. Drive up and stick fork in until it hit the back and started sliding the thing. When you lifted it up the pin dropped in the hole and you were ready to go. Didn’t have to get off the forklift to put on or take off. The pin is welded to two legs that lift it when you set it down.

B9E116CB-420D-4723-9D2F-67FDC522D0F9.jpeg

That looks awesome. So handy not to have to get off!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 8/28/2020 at 4:19 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

Work drills them or something, in end of fork. Must be ok as im sure osha has been there at some point. Some stuff gets moved this way everyday around the plant. They have karts with pegs or studds welded permanent drive up with fork truck lift with peg lined up with hole and go. 

When I used to work at the seed company when I would buy a new forklift I could order a fork or 2 forks with a hole in it.  My understanding was this was acceptable but torching a hole was not.  I assume the heat can affect the temper of the steel??

We never had OSHA in so luckily didn't have to have that discussion.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, IH Forever said:

When I used to work at the seed company when I would buy a new forklift I could order a fork or 2 forks with a hole in it.  My understanding was this was acceptable but torching a hole was not.  I assume the heat can affect the temper of the steel??

We never had OSHA in so luckily didn't have to have that discussion.

Yes the heat would affect the steel. I think fork truck shop uses a carbide drill bit or something to drill them.

• Like 1

Fwiw

Be note full when doing stuff like RVs.  Farmer here went to rent out old dairy barns for rv storage.  Used a forklift set up like you guys have seen here.  Hed twist and shimmy them in tight.  He then got calls in spring from owners....bent several shakles and even tweaked a few axles on trailers from the side load of twisting 90*.  They are barely adequate already then the twisting jist flopped em over.  How rv manufacturers get away with 0 govt oversight like NHTSA is beyond logic. 

• Like 3
On 9/5/2020 at 8:42 AM, lorenzo said:

I think it should be 2150 red. It won't be as easy to hide.:D

• Like 1
2 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Yes the heat would affect the steel. I think fork truck shop uses a carbide drill bit or something to drill them.

I have no problem cutting holes in pallet forks with a good quality hole saw.  Dewalt or Milwaukee.  High speed steel will cut them just fine.

• Like 2
On September 5, 2020 at 9:42 AM, lorenzo said:

Is that a draw bar from a large frame IH ?

• Like 1

What does putting a hole in the last 2” of a fork have to do with the safety of a fork? Most forks are rated at 24” from frame. I run one daily and never use only the last 2”. Pick up a pallet and load is spread over whole length. As are most loads 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, smfarms said:

What does putting a hole in the last 2” of a fork have to do with the safety of a fork? Most forks are rated at 24” from frame. I run one daily and never use only the last 2”. Pick up a pallet and load is spread over whole length. As are most loads 

It all has to do with modifying something and voiding its listing. The fork is listed to lift not tow or push, therefore who is to say how much it will handle, also there is no saying if the person damaged the integrity when they cut it. 
as long as there are suit happy people looking for a disability, and ambulance chasing lawyers there will be these regulations. My favorite OSHA story was from my first year electrical teacher, he was the maintenance electrician for Orvis, some moron in upper management decided it would be a good idea to call them in for a safety inspection,  OSHA doesn't do courtesy inspections and give a list of suggestions, they issue fines. At the time Orvis did things like canvas totes and dog beds on site, and they had 6 Singer industrial sewing machines all set up. The cord for the motor was grounded and double insulated, the cord for the light however was just lamp cord. The OSHA inspector called it a violation because it was not double insulated, and wrote it up 1500 bucks per machine x6. When my teacher, Chuck objected that those came from the factory that way, the guy smirked at him and said week, i cant get them for it, but i can get you! 
almost every Osha inspection ends up settiling out for much less than the total of the fines, but it involves lots and lots of time from many people in each company, And forces them to fix stuff, ridiculous or not. Makes the cost if a 200 dollar forklift attachment sound pretty good, just for the UL sticker that is on it. Doesnt work better than a free hole torched in the fork, but it saves thousands down the road. Place we work at had to weld their holes shut to satisfy the inspector, now that is stupid. 

• Like 1