Ideas from you welder , entrepreneur inventor type

I want something to slip over my track loader forks that has a hole in the end for either a trailer ball or a hole like a tractor draw bar . 

just a quick thing to slid over the fork or forks to use to move things around rather then using a tractor.   

I want to move header trailers  without a tractor because they are so hard to back up  . 

Im sure someone has made something,  what did you make? 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just torched a 1" hole in one of my forks, but I'm cheap.

Guy I work with built this years ago. Supper handy. We used it all the time on a 30k lb. forklift until they said we couldn’t have a hole in the fork anymore. Drive up and stick fork in until it hit t

I had this stuff laying around so I welded it up last week .   Going to use it during harvest and then it’s off to get sandblasted and painted.  Probably go with this yellow .     

Posted Images

I would just use some rectangular tubing just a bit longer than the fork, enough to fit ball. Chain and fastener (binder) on back end. 

• Like 4

slide the forks close together and use two pieces of challel iron or square tubing to slide over the forks, weld caps on them so they slide on like a sock and stop. mine has a short chain on it that I hook to main beam to keep the thing from slipping around

• Like 3

If it's just for moving trailers etc. around what about something like this? Slips on real easy and could make it any length you want

TCA_FE.jpg

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

I used a drill bit, but same theory for me. This spring I got smart and drilled another hole in the top of the backing cage and I put my draw pin there. That way it's always with the forks and it's not in the way when moving pallets.

• Like 3

I made a plate to fit over both forks (slid  together) years ago. 

My neighbor just torched a rough and quick hole in one of his.  

I feel like a idiot when I see him gab a ball out of the cup holder on his skidsteer and drop it through the hole.....he doesn't even put the nut on the bottom. Really.  He's got his trailer move faster than I could slide  my forks together.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, from H to 80 said:

Same here only both forks. I did make one very similar too what vtfireman posted once though.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

Yeah my John Deere wheel loader had that feature when I bought it it is pretty slick though drop a ball in and hand tighten it and Away you go

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Yeah my John Deere wheel loader had that feature when I bought it it is pretty slick though drop a ball in and hand tighten it and Away you go

I would just drill a whole through the threads and put a hairpin or a quick pin through. Be fast and secure enough to move alot of trailers. Be like a hand tight nut but faster lol

• Like 3

Go ahead and get fancy. That’s a 2” receiver so you can use whatever you like. And it has a lifting point on the bottom.

8FD43570-B02C-4165-AAA5-96F73FD2137D.gif

• Like 2
6 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

OSHA takes a very dim view of that

• Like 2

Torch a hole in the fork..... 2 pieces of box tube together with a reciever hitch welded on top works great. Cap off the end and run a chain and small load binder back to the mast. 

Just now, vtfireman85 said:

Ok i get it but I doubt they ever show up in my driveway. And god help me if they do. I hope they drink beer 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
1 minute ago, Missouri Mule said:

Ok i get it but I doubt they ever show up in my driveway. And god help me if they do. I hope they drink beer 

They don’t 

21 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

MSHA is even worse. Place I worked at for several years had a unwritten policy if an inspector showed up to plan on doing the bare minimum to keep the place running and basically sit on you a** until they left. Thankfully I worked 3rd shift most of the time and didn't have to deal with those pricks much.

• Like 2

We have a homemade skid plate similar to this.    Use it for backing equipment in shed.  Moving gooseneck trailers and anything else.  

FDA7C719-95AA-4B18-8EAD-27FF9644EA25.png

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

I have heard drilled holes are acceptable, but I have never read it 

6 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

This.   Have used many many forks like this and it was handy.  Also if the hole is placed right I have seen a shackle with the pin through the same hole and used to pick some things, no matter how wrong this may be it works

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While on topic...

I frankly can back anything in anywhere easier with my pick up or tractor than a set of forks.  The forks are like 12' from pivot point.  So a 1/12th turn is like 3'.  I have never tried a SS loader with something like it though.  My main challenge is my rv.  Its a fiberglass sided unit.  Doors 10x10 trailer 8x8.9'.  Have to be less than 1' from wall, 1' from boat fender ...25' and no lights in shed.  Field is 4' lower than floor.  So just plays tricks with eyes.  I wont go without spotter.  $$$ to fix fiberglass   

• Like 1

Work drills them or something, in end of fork. Must be ok as im sure osha has been there at some point. Some stuff gets moved this way everyday around the plant. They have karts with pegs or studds welded permanent drive up with fork truck lift with peg lined up with hole and go. 

I know of a boat storage facility that drilled a hole in a fork and had hitch balls with a 6” piece of round stock weld to the nut so that they could hand tighten it.  They also had a rack with draw pins and different sized hitch balls bolted on the fender.