WD9 tractor and engine detail numbers

Hello,

I have a 1949 WD-9 with serial 38629. I want to know if I have the original engine in it. I've read something about these serials on this forum but it still doesn't make sense to me.

My engine has a casted number behind the injection pump: 1124-DX

Just underneath the head is another code: WDCBM 14742 (might this be the serial from the tractor to which this engine belongs?

So..  is this engine the one that needs to be in nu WD9 or not?

Thanks!

Farmall 1466

Yes that's the engine serial number. WDCBM  is the code letters for a diesel engine in a WD-9.  Probably the original engine. 

close guesstimate would be check the casting code x#-x#-xL  on major castings

3-6 months later would be common vs the tractor serial build date

then the serial  / engine build info,which is difficult as few have the list.

some is here  Ih wisconsin archives

6 hours ago, mmi said:

close guesstimate would be check the casting code x#-x#-xL  on major castings

3-6 months later would be common vs the tractor serial build date

then the serial  / engine build info,which is difficult as few have the list.

some is here  Ih wisconsin archives

Where on the engine can I find the major castings?

Also, could one of these numbers (either engine serial, 1124-DX or the casting code) give me the production date from the engine?

1124DX is the part number.

The only information cast into the block aside from part number is the date the raw block was cast. It is in the format of XX-YY-A, a 2-digit number for month, another 2-digit number for day of month, and a letter for year. On the letter codes, I always remember 1947 is Q, 1950 is T, U, and V, and 1955 starts over with A. The rest can be figured out by singing your A-B-C's. 

Your 1949 would have an engine block cast in late 1948 (R code) or 1949 (S code).

Unfortunately that does not tell you the day the engine was assembled, which I assume is what you're looking for.

Also unfortunately, the serial on the tractor will not match the serial on the engine so you can't go by that to determine if the engine is original. The tractor serial number series also includes gas W-9's. Each engine model has its own serial number sequence, and the engines were used in wheel tractors, crawler tractors, and power units.

The only time engine and tractor serials were close was early in production. For example, W-9 serial 501 may be a gas tractor with gas engine serial 501, then W-9 serial 502 is a diesel tractor with diesel engine serial 501, then TD9 serial 501 gets diesel engine serial 502.. Right out of the gate, they're already off by one serial number. It doesn't take long to get way off when manufacturing 10's of thousands of tractors.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Your 1949 would have an engine block cast in late 1948 (R code) or 1949 (S code).

Unfortunately that does not tell you the day the engine was assembled, which I assume is what you're looking for.

No, I'm just looking for a month and a year of when it was casted and when it is from the same time period I'm confident it is the engine that needs to be in this tractor. But I don't know the date as I don't know where the cast code is located.

28 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

If it is a good running D335 or D350, then it IS the engine that needs to be in the tractor. Lots of blocks or heads or complete engines got changed over the years.

well.. it isn't running currently. When I bought it like 2 months ago and ran good and it has done till I decided to restore the engine... all 4 pistons are shot (the aluminium between the rings broke off) and 3 of the 4 sleeves are bad as well (I assume the broken off aluminium did that). It's a d335 with the 4,5 inch pistons so I'll have to search to find a set of 4,5 pistons with sleeves or 4,4 pistons with sleeves.

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-19 at 16.42.06.jpeg

1 hour ago, Farmall Doctor said:

This is what a date code looks like.. That determines when the casting was poured. 

IMG_20200827_0900080.jpg

This code is on the head, right?? Can't acces my head now as it I've sent to a shop to get it checked and fix3d

Not sure but thinking the 9 series had the date code near the same place as this D-264. Rear and below the front coolant side cover. with injection pump in place you need to get the right angle to see. D264 blocks cast number 264437R1 through R-4 were located there.  On R-5 D-264 and D-281 blocks they moved the date code back to the fuel filter area. Was the number you found on the block real plain to read.  Block cast number should be 8124D and maybe a K.  If they went as high as DX on the block it's probably a newer block than 49.  

So.. took antoher look at it, and cast number isn t 1124D, but 8124D. Not sure about the X, it might as well be a K.. cast number is 261195r1. Does this give a clue to a certain year??

On 8/28/2020 at 3:46 AM, DWV said:

Was the number you found on the block real plain to read.

Was a bit rusted but was okay I guess

Still haven't been able find a date code on the block...

Because the engine serial (14742) is so low, it feels to me that this has to be an earlier block..

Thanks for helping me out!

15988010819521245648580.jpg

Gerald Carr at Carr's Tractor Repair in International Falls as the engine parts. Better hold you socks and get some lube ready. If your going to properly overhaul the engine expect to have a easy 5-6k tied up in it. 

^ thats doesn't look like a complete IH part number to me and besides that its on the front timing cover so not really definitive for you

the date code on a diesels is just behind the injection pump in good view. I tried to high light the number with the pencil I had in my pocket

DSCI0539.JPG

4 minutes ago, hillman said:

the date code on a diesels is just behind the injection pump in good view. I tried to high light the number with the pencil I had in my pocket

DSCI0539.JPG

I have the code 8124DK or 8124DX on exactly that spot

the supers have 4.5 " pistons and they are 350 cid. some may have the 4 5/8 bore.  the standard wd9 is only 3335 and smaller bore than 4.5" . if you want a good super block with pistons i have one , never mind ur too far away. what u have there is using starting fluid on those engines instead of doing the proper thing and let them warm up on gas. 

6 hours ago, rustred said:

the supers have 4.5 " pistons and they are 350 cid. some may have the 4 5/8 bore.  the standard wd9 is only 3335 and smaller bore than 4.5" . if you want a good super block with pistons i have one , never mind ur too far away. what u have there is using starting fluid on those engines instead of doing the proper thing and let them warm up on gas. 

my block itself is good, including all components. It isn't welded either. It's just the pistons and sleeves that are bad..

Sent my head to a shop like mentioned before, it isn't cracked or whatever, seals are good, the only thing is that the intake valves are quite bad.

Got myself a new head gasket already and I was lucky, got it for 100 euro's, around 110-115 dollars.